Getting the most success upgrading to ICS from GB

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
Because, I am starting to feel like a broken record, I thought this might help all… especially now that the Rezound is also receiving their long awaited OTA Ice Cream Sandwich (ICS) update.

ICS is a brand new operating system that is similar but, oh so very different, than GB. Because it is a new operating system, if you do not do a Factory Data Reset (fdr), you can expect to have problems with lag and battery life. That is because your phone is now bogged down with old data that works best with GB and new data that works best with ICS and you can expect the old to conflict with the new. Not all people have these problems but many do. Doing an FDR has helped those that do. To get the most success from upgrading to ICS and doing an fdr, here are some guidelines I suggest and that have worked well for me and many others.

1). Backup your information: call logs, bookmarks, data, apps, pics, etc that you want to make sure you retain: Here are suggestions I posted before but it is not the only way to accomplish this task.

• I use MyBackup and SMS Backup & Restore. Both are free from play store.
  • I backup pretty much everything with MyBackup except for my texts (I use the SMS B&R for that) and photos, media & music because I keep those on my ext-sd card. If you want to play it safe then backup your photos, media and music also.
  • To be very safe and highly recommended , I also save both my external and internal sd cards on my pc. Depending on size, it can take a very long time but ensures things are not lost. Keep in mind that an fdr will erase info on your internal sd card but will retain info on your external sd card (unless you choose to include your ext card in the fdr)
  • I also go into individual apps and use their backup if they have one. I actually keep a list of all my apps where it has this feature.
  • I backup my texts using SMS Backup & Restore (it gives you many more options for backing up your texts than MyBackup does).
  • After I do the fdr, I first go into play store and make sure it is not automatically installing all my apps and stop if it is... cuz I want to do those one at a time. Usually I discover there are apps I do not use or want anymore this way. But this is not necessary.
  • Then I go into SMS B&R and restore my texts.
  • Then I install my apps, one at a time. I open the ones I use most or that have their own backup & restore feature... I check to see if they are still the way I had them. Some are, some aren't. Then I go to the app's setting and restore for the ones that have that feature.
  • I make sure my emails are set up. I use Enhanced Email, so all I have to do is restore them. Not sure what other email programs have this feature.
  • Then as I use my phone and use my various apps, I either reset them up fresh or I will use MyBackup to restore their previous settings.
  • I probably missed a few steps that I typically do because it is fairly automatic for me but that is close.
2). After you have backed up everything you want to save, do a Factory Data Reset. You ensure a fresh clean device by doing this and limit the risk of any conflicts between old stuff and new stuff. I recommend doing it from the recovery menu but it can also be done through settings --> privacy.

3). Recalibrate your meter for your battery. This will ensure that the meter that reads your battery’s state of charge is accurate. We have nicknamed this process “FoxKatting” after FoxKat who knows everything there is to know about your battery health.

• With your phone powered off, charge it to 100% preferably using the charger that came with your phone plugged into an outlet.
  • Unplug your phone from the charger, power up your phone.
  • When your phone gets to the “Low Battery” warning (for the Razr’s on ICS it is at 10%), turn off your phone and charge to 100% again.
  • When your phone reaches 100% while off, unplug, power on and use and charge as you normally would.
  • It is recommended to repeat this procedure once every 2-3 months.

4) Enjoy your ICS with success! Be aware that some things are different with ICS but you are still able to do everything you were before but some things may be different in how you do them and some things require a convenient work-a-round. Ask any questions if you can’t figure something out. Follow these suggestions and you will be reaping the benefits of ICS in no time!.

Last edited:

electricman58

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
"ROOTED" Droid Turbo
:-D Nice write up TIS! "EVER SO THE RESCUE PRO"!!! I just made that up :) u like!!? LOL. 0-0

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Droid Forums

OP
TisMyDroid

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
:-D Nice write up TIS! "EVER SO THE RESCUE PRO"!!! I just made that up :) u like!!? LOL. 0-0

LOL electricman! Thanks! Fortunately for me there is a whole bunch of pros that help me... thank goodness!

justin82

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
great write up will link to this often :p

OP
TisMyDroid

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
Thanks Justin. I have been thinking about this for a while just because it is standard recommendations and questions people are asking often. I thought with the ICS update to Rezound, it may be a good time to do it. Hopefully it will come in handy.

electricman58

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
"ROOTED" Droid Turbo
And the Bionic ICS is right around the corner! :) and will need your help too!

ovelayer

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
if I could only read...

lol
cool write up!

OP
TisMyDroid

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
Darn ovelayer, I was counting on you to double check it to make sure I didn't forget anything! Get reading! Oh, and thanks! I do need FoxKat to come by and make sure I didn't mess up on the Foxkatting. For some reason, I always miss something there (and he always finds it), lol! Oh, foxKat... where are you?

MattyP

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
How did I miss this?? :eek:

Great job Tis! I'll be linking to this as well in my travels through the forum! :hail:

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7

Love it!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
Darn ovelayer, I was counting on you to double check it to make sure I didn't forget anything! Get reading! Oh, and thanks! I do need FoxKat to come by and make sure I didn't mess up on the Foxkatting. For some reason, I always miss something there (and he always finds it), lol! Oh, foxKat... where are you?

No changes necessary....looks perfect. :D

OP
TisMyDroid

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
How did I miss this?? :eek:

Great job Tis! I'll be linking to this as well in my travels through the forum! :hail:

Cuz I only just did it, lol! When I saw ICS for Rezound, I thought this was a good time to put it together. Maybe it will help the Rezound ICS experience go a little more smooth than Razr's. I think that was a big mistake of Moto... not strongly encouraging or even requiring it as part of the process for the ugrade. I actually would never consider upgrading my OS without doing an fdr but I suppose that comes from the tons of times I did it when I was swithcing roms on my og droid.

OP
TisMyDroid

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
No changes necessary....looks perfect. :D

About time! Took you long enough, lmao! Wow, I can't beleive I finally got it right! (I cheated... I referred to one of your posts to make sure I didn't mess up this time)!