General OS Lag loading homescreen and using droid

endoftheline

Reaction score
Around the time I got 2.2, I guess a few months ago, my :motdroidvert: has been generally sluggish, with specific things sometimes being very slow. I can't really say it only started since 2.2 came out for sure, but its around that time. Basically I never had these slowdown problems when I had 2.1 or closer to when it first came out when it still had 2.0. (I've had it since launch back in November)

I have 68Mb free on the internal memory, and have 12MB +71MB in 15 normally free in the RAM. With only a few process running like lookout.

The worst noticeable slowdown is the home screen sometimes takes about 8 seconds to load :icon_eek: after hitting the home key while in, the browser, market, gmail or almost any app, it sometime seems to happen after leaving.

I use the pattern unlock, and sometime after I put in my correct pattern, that also lags for about 8 seconds and then unlocks the phone.

I know that the droid is old now, with the rate of new android phones coming out every week it seems like, but I'm not really running any different apps since when I first had the phone yet it seems to have these issues, that it never had like 4 months ago

I'm wondering if anyone knows if doing a factory reset then reinstalling some apps and upgrading back to 2.2 would make a significant improvement with these issues, or if there is some kind of App or cleanup that can help with these lag issues.

RoNYC

Reaction score
I am also experiencing the lag. Did the reboot route and played around with apps, thinking one or a combo was causing the lag. Nothing to report but the lag continues.

OP
E

endoftheline

Reaction score
when you say you did the reboot, do you mean a factory reset or just a regular reboot of the phone?

RoNYC

Reaction score
I actually did the factory first, then reboot. I did both after the latest update.

OP
E

endoftheline

Reaction score
Ah, yes I am hearing on the official forum that doing the reset doesn't seem to help with the home screen lag issue, thats it seems to be related to 2.2 I guess.

RoNYC

Reaction score
If you find anything out regarding the lag please post and I will do the same.

OP
E

endoftheline

Reaction score
Not rooted, but I am currently trying delete the caches in my apps and delete text messages.

txrover

Reaction score
Thank you CJM! That works like a charm! No more lag.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

Reaction score
I had serious lag issues and issues with the phone freezing up multiple times a day which were all solved by uninstalling Lookout. When I spoke to the verizon tech, he said that Lookout was the only app currently on their "BAD list" causing multiple issues with many different types of devices. I had no idea.

CJM

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6
Twitter
https://twitter.com/Corey
Another problem I noticed was I had too many of my apps on my home screens placed on my SD. Whenever I had bad redraws I would get theseView attachment 24244 over my apps that were placed on the SD. At first I blamed ADW and switched to LP. It wasnt until I kept noticing those icons that it made sense. IMHO Rooted or stock, if you place your home screen apps on the phone, this should help slow redraws.

OP
E

endoftheline

Reaction score
I had serious lag issues and issues with the phone freezing up multiple times a day which were all solved by uninstalling Lookout. When I spoke to the verizon tech, he said that Lookout was the only app currently on their "BAD list" causing multiple issues with many different types of devices. I had no idea.

Interesting I may try this

Brandonovich

Reaction score
If you not rooted and overclocked you are missing out! That combined with Launcher Pro and my original droid runs like a champ!

joshoid

Reaction score
I use Advanced Task Manager (Available in android market) to manage and auto kill running apps. This can be used on unrooted phones and may help with your lag. I also run auto killer but this is only available if your phone is rooted.