Droid 2 lagging so badly i can't use it

Xproplayer

Reaction score
Note: this is going to be a very long post as I want to cover as many details as possible.

Ok, so I am the proud owner of a motorola droid 2 for a long time, ever since it came out. I have never had too many issues with the phone that couldn't be resolved. But I have noticed a severe problem lately. It seems as though when I boot up I can do everything just fine for a while then after about 45 seconds after boot up I get insane lag. Pressing an application takes 3-4 seconds to launch and things like scrolling and opening windows takes a very long time. Then once I turn the phone into sleep it lags for about 5 seconds then goes off. But the biggest issue happens next. Once I try to wake it up I press the sleep button and it waits about 10 seconds then turns on my unlock screen but its not as bright, its super dim when I have my brightness setting set to max. Then when I try to slide unlock the phone doesn't even register my touches. I can sometimes over ride it by unlocking the phone RIGHT after the boot when it's not lagging. But after about 10-30 seconds the phone shows the lag. All actions that would trip the vibrator such as pressing the soft keys and doing pattern unlocks on apps it does not vibrate. I thought the vibrator was broken but when I turn the ringer volume to vibrate and it turns the vibrator on, but seems to stay on for like 10 seconds. It seems as though the lag is so bad that it doesnt tell the vibrator to stop for quite a while. I am running launcher pro as my only primary app. I had SetCPU installed but I uninstalled all apps that modify things. I am rooted and use some third party apps but i'm not sure what all could affect. I do not use ATK or any task killer. I have tested the phone without the SD card and on airplane mode and the lag still happens. The only thing I can think that would be causing issue right now would be an update from the app market that is causing issues. I have it set to auto update applications. I wanted to go and uninstall all recent apps or ones i don't use but the app market doesn't load for me.

I will provide any information that you ask, just ask. Thanks in advance.

spaz33g

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I would probably just do a factory reset and see if that fixes things, then instal apps one at a time to see if any of them are causing any issue.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

alboboy10

Reaction score
Happened on my dx while back. Factory reset and worked like an animal again.

OP
X

Xproplayer

Reaction score
I would probably just do a factory reset and see if that fixes things, then instal apps one at a time to see if any of them are causing any issue.

Happened on my dx while back. Factory reset and worked like an animal again.

Dang, do you really think that is the only option? It was very hard to root the first time and get all my third party apps. Any other solutions?

Byakushiki

Reaction score
From what it sounds like, you've got too many services /apps loading up at boot possibly. Try running a task manager (that means non-autokilling!) at start to clean out ram quickly. I also notice a slow start whenever I boot my D1, and once I clean out running apps/apps loaded into memory for no reason/useless running services, it runs clean and smooth. The same applies to an extent on my D2G. If market won't load, sideload a task manager via downloading the apk. I've personally never done a factory reset due to slowdowns.

Sent from somewhere in a strangereal world.

spaz33g

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I would say that's your best option. It won't unroot you though, only remove all apps and data.

rck76

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Do the d2 roms have compcache like the d1 roms do? I experience similar issues when I have compcache enabled.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums

OP
X

Xproplayer

Reaction score
I would say that's your best option. It won't unroot you though, only remove all apps and data.

O? How would I do this process. Knowing me I would delete the phone itself.

spaz33g

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
With the phone off open the keyboard and hold the x key and the power button at the same time and continue to hold them until you see an exclamation point and the android logo. Then release the keys and press the search button on the keyboard. This will get you in to stock recovery. Using the volume rocker, navigate to the factory reset option and use the camera button to select it. It will wipe the phone and take a few minutes and then bring you back to the main menu where you can reboot.

OP
X

Xproplayer

Reaction score
With the phone off open the keyboard and hold the x key and the power button at the same time and continue to hold them until you see an exclamation point and the android logo. Then release the keys and press the search button on the keyboard. This will get you in to stock recovery. Using the volume rocker, navigate to the factory reset option and use the camera button to select it. It will wipe the phone and take a few minutes and then bring you back to the main menu where you can reboot.

What all will be lost in this process?

spaz33g

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
You will lose apps and their associated data, contacts, and text messages and phone calls. Your SD card will be untouched so your music, photos, videos etc are fine. Oh and when you restart the phone and sign in to Google, your contacts should be returned and your apps will be really associated with your market account.

OP
X

Xproplayer

Reaction score
Well I did a data wipe and was still having issues. Turns out many apps did not uninstall, they stayed on the phone. I broke down and basically uninstalled all but the bare bones of my phone and there were about 7 apps installed. It was still having issues so I remove 3 apps (there may be more, this is all that comes to mind)Youtube, Skype, and Maps. Reboooted the phone and everything was back to normal, now to reinstall all of my apps. Woo

OP
X

Xproplayer

Reaction score
Update: I have left the phone completely alone not installing or uninstalling any applications. I am having the performance issues when unlocking the phone again, but once the phone is unlocked it all works out just fine. According to the phone the only apps installed are: Adobe Flash 10.3, Gmail, Maps, Market, SetCPU (installed it without having any issues hereafter, its set to keep the phone at 1000mhz and set on boot), Skype Mobile, Wireless tether, and Youtube. Any advice? The weird things to be that I only get the issue when bringing the phone awake from sleep mode.

OP
X

Xproplayer

Reaction score
Wait what are your profiles in setcpu?

I believe I just do detect speeds and then set the sliders to 1000 and 1000, then set on boot, ondemand. I do not believe i have set any profiles up.