Galaxy S8 Tip: Best Security Setup

DroidModderX

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
irisscanner-jpg.77403

One thing that is great about the Galaxy S8 is the fact that it gives you so many options to secure your device. There are all the traditional options such as PIN, Password, or gesture. Samsung also has a few biometric options with the fingerprint scanner and the iris scanner. They have even thrown in face detect for good measure. Each option has its own set of pros and cons.

The fingerprint scanner is very accurate and fast. The only issue with it is that it is awkwardly placed right beside the camera. I have been using the phone for a few days now and have missed the fingerprint scanner several times. The face detect option is less secure. You won't be able to secure services like Android Pay because of this. The disclaimer even says your twin could unlock the device, and some people have been able to use a photo to trick it. Face detect also does not work in low light.

The best option for me is the iris scanner. Out of the box the iris scanner requires you to swipe up to activate it, but you can actually set it to automatically search for your eyes once the screen turns on without swiping up. If you enable this setting you can just press the always on home button to turn on the screen and activate the iris scanner. This feels very much like using the fingerprint scanner on my older Samsung phones. As far as whether or not it works in low light I have tested it in pitch black darkness and it still works. This happens to be my favorite security setup. What setup are you using for your Galaxy S8?

Attachments

• irisscanner.jpg
    irisscanner.jpg
    24.3 KB · Views: 4,079

Freezerbrn

Reaction score
I'm not totally sold on the iris scanner as of yet. Over only had the S8+ for a few days and still getting used to it. I've used the IS for those 2 days and I can't tell really if I feel it's secure or a gimmick. Basically someone can take your phone hold it to your face and boom, they have access. I dunno it is convenient and fast. Time will tell. For the record I think it's more facial recognition then actual iris scanner. IMHO

Freezerbrn

Reaction score
Ok so update, I tried the Iris scanner with 1 eye closed, winking, crossed eyed, and glasses on. Yup, the phone unlocked each time. Hmmm... I'll have to try holding up a digital photo and see if it works too. YMMV

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
Ok so update, I tried the Iris scanner with 1 eye closed, winking, crossed eyed, and glasses on. Yup, the phone unlocked each time. Hmmm... I'll have to try holding up a digital photo and see if it works too. YMMV
Well that's interesting. Sure makes you wonder. Not so secure if a picture would work, or a family member, or anyone else. Keep experimenting and let us know the results.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

droidprincess

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Iphone 7 Plus
Twitter
droidprincesstx

That doesn't seem like a very secure security option

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk