Galaxy Nexus VS Droid Rzr?

nerdslogic

Silver Member
Reaction score
View attachment 44211

:biggrin: That's with 2h 20m of screen on, 37m voice calls, web browsing, and using market and various apps a little. So yeah, relatively light usage, but still.

Thank you....seriously....best one I had seen before this was like 6 hours. I know that is almost no use and I get that....my 12 hours was pretty light as well.

virtualhuman

Reaction score
Thank you....seriously....best one I had seen before this was like 6 hours. I know that is almost no use and I get that....my 12 hours was pretty light as well.

You're welcome.

So, it made it to 23h 48m before it died. I could have easily made it over 24h if I hadn't fired up Google Nav...

bmkdroid

Reaction score
I'm going pretty good right now.

42% - 19h 39m 17s on battery
1h16m Screen on (Facebook & texts)
~20min pandora streaming on 3g
~20min of voice calls

It is getting me through the day just fine, and the battery has been improving with each charge cycle!

nerdslogic

Silver Member
Reaction score

~20min of voice calls

It is getting me through the day just fine, and the battery has been improving with each charge cycle!

are you on extended? Light usage huh?

OP
04CiviCon20s

04CiviCon20s

Reaction score
You're welcome.

So, it made it to 23h 48m before it died. I could have easily made it over 24h if I hadn't fired up Google Nav...

~20min of voice calls

So ya'll are implying that Battery life is not an issue for SGN:D

nerdslogic

Silver Member
Reaction score
I hate these threads....dang it....why do I post in these?

Look Razr is an amazing phone and will get better with ICS. The GN is an amazing phone with ICS and will get better with more updates.

You really can't lose either way.

OP
04CiviCon20s

04CiviCon20s

Reaction score
I hate these threads....dang it....why do I post in these?

Look Razr is an amazing phone and will get better with ICS. The GN is an amazing phone with ICS and will get better with more updates.

You really can't lose either way.

uhhhhh..ONLY YOU control the mouse clicks Nerd but I do appreciate your input:D

nerdslogic

Silver Member
Reaction score
lol....I know....I think my Razr speaks to me in my sleep....slowly brainwashing me. At least if I get the GN it will provide nice visuals too:p

Bionic

Reaction score
If you're seriously contemplating the RAZR, you might also want to consider the Bionic. I know a lot of folks already consider the Bionic to be obsolete, but if battery and removable SD are important factors, it's still worth consideration IMO. You might even be able to pick one up slightly used for a good deal right now. Then you could sit on your upgrade for the next 'must-have' device.

The RAZR and Bionic have similar specs, but the 2760 mAh extended battery supported by the Bionic, along with a display that literally sips power at full brightness, will likely provide more run time than any of the other devices you're considering. In fact, my Bionic display typically shows under 15% of battery usage - even when watching movies. I know that some folks don't care for the Bionic's display, but to me, it looks fine. I really think it depends on your vision. Of course, the Bionic will never be as thin or rugged as the RAZR, but with the standard battery, the Bionic is still pretty thin IMO. All of the LTE devices seems to suffer from the same network issues, so that wouldn't be a deciding factor for me unless I was willing to wait for next-gen LTE silicon.

I still have an upgrade left, so I'm monitoring the SGN forums closely to see if I want to get one myself. So far, the only reported SGN issues that would potentially bother me are battery life, speaker volume, and the camera. The battery can be swapped with a spare, so that wouldn't be a deal killer for me, and the other two issues should be able to be resolved through SW updates - at least to a point where they aren't critical flaws.

bmkdroid

Reaction score

I am on the standard included battery. Usage was relatively light as I listed. Left it off the charger overnight to see how the standby held up which wasn't too bad. About 8 hours of standby while I slept got I think 3 emails and lost ~5% battery. That contributed quite a bit to the overall time though!

I'm debating on getting the extended battery or just getting an extra battery with the charger just to carry around when I know I'll be out for a while.

MNTNBKR

Reaction score
I don't know why, but I feel compelled to comment on the *perceived* build quality issues of the Gnex. As a mechanical engineer I am a fairly critical person with regard to build quality, and in fact, whenever I review products (mostly on Amazon.com) I address the build quality (or lack of) of the items being reviewed. Having owned at least 5 different Motorola phones (and this being my first Samsung phone), I honestly can't see why people are critical of the Samsung build quality, unless maybe they're basing their opinions off of past experience with Samsung phones.

When I judge build quality, I look at things like:
-how well do the seams line up and are there large or inconsistent gaps between mating parts
-are there any squeaks or rattles when you shake or twist the product
-does the product *seem* sufficiently "hefty" for it's size and what it is/does
-do removable parts go back in place securely without a lot of fussing and are they securely held in place
-do moving parts move easily / smoothly or as intended or are they loose and wobbly
-are the materials used of sufficient strength for the products intended purpose
-etc

Having owned this phone for 3 full days and examining it critically, the only build quality flaw that I could find was a slight rattle coming from the volume rocker when the phone is shaken (not uncommon with many manufacturers). This is hardly a reason to declare that the phone is of sub-par build quality (in my opinion).

While I don't have any first hand experience with the Razr beyond holding a sample phone a the VZW store, and after owning motorola devices almost exclusively for the last 6 years or so, I can say that unless the build quality of the Razr is significantly better than previous Motorola phone models, then the Gnex is definitely on par. That's not to say that I feel that Motorola phones are of sub-standard build quality either, in fact I feel quite opposite.

In short, I really don't think build quality should be of concern to anyone who is on the fence about buying this phone.

(and I'm done with this soapbox now...:icon_ devil:)

Last edited:

dtdlurch

Reaction score
I think some people equate poor build quality to "light and plastic".

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DroidForums

GeneralZod

Reaction score
I honestly can't see why people are critical of the Samsung build quality...

When I judge build quality, I look at things like:
-how well do the seams line up and are there large or inconsistent gaps between mating parts
-are there any squeaks or rattles when you shake or twist the product
-does the product *seem* sufficiently "hefty" for it's size and what it is/does
-do removable parts go back in place securely without a lot of fussing and are they securely held in place
-do moving parts move easily / smoothly or as intended or are they loose and wobbly
-are the materials used of sufficient strength for the products intended purpose
-etc
You're looking at build quality from the perspective of an engineer... and you're correct to do so. I think when us non-engineers refer to "build quality", we're referring to the perception of build quality. Does it look and feel like a $300 device when we hold it in our hands? Does it feel like it has the appropriate weight for a device its size? Does it feel like the materials are quality materials?

In addition, I believe that many people feel that Motorola's phones have better quality, due to their internal designs.