Galaxy Nexus VS Droid Rzr?

Tuktanuk

Reaction score
Really? Cause when I went to best buy and held each one the Gnex felt like a big cheap plastic toy compared to the razr. I was leaning towards the Gnex until I held it. Now I am planning on getting the razr.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

To each his own but, I disagree about the Nexus feeling cheap. It is a very solid phone and the build quality feels about right even though it's not a steel tank casing like the OGD was. I lloked into the Razr and the Rezound and still walked out with the Nexus. Bottom line here is people may or may not agree but to come into an established forum and try to start slamming is NOT the way to introduce yourself.

JekyllandHyde

Reaction score
Now don't get me wrong the Gnex is a great phone but I was just stating my opinion of how it felt in my hands and for me I like a phone that feels a little more solid.

GoBears

Reaction score
Go to the store and spend some quality time with each one and pick your favorite. You'll never get an unbiased review. Everybody has different opinions.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Reaction score
Put it this way, I had a bionic and I will never buy Motorola again, It had to many "hardware flaws". While I haven't heard anything wrong with the razr like the bionic.

Nexus Pro's

Screen blows the razr away and its 4.5".
Camera on this thing takes pictures as fast as an SLR.
Ice cream sandwich is awesome, I love the idea of app folder's on the main screen
Its thin is fast and snappy
To many to list

And if zumocast sways your decision "because it is awesome". I have it on my nexus, There's a unlocked version that runs great on it.

Just go to the store and play with them both the nexus should sell itself

OP
04CiviCon20s

04CiviCon20s

Reaction score
All this information is really helping. No one really touched on the dev support probabilities yet though. it seems like the SGN will get more dev love than the Rzr due to ICS but Rzr will be getting it to.. I really like the looks of the Rzr but ICS "now" is also Very nice as well. with the 5MP cam on the SGN, not sure if I can sacrifice pic quality. My TB now takes outstanding pics and with my Lil Prince getting older and he's so photogenic, there are a lot more "kodak" moments in store:D

OP
04CiviCon20s

04CiviCon20s

Reaction score
Put it this way, I had a bionic and I will never buy Motorola again, It had to many "hardware flaws". While I haven't heard anything wrong with the razr like the bionic.

Nexus Pro's

Screen blows the razr away and its 4.5".
Camera on this thing takes pictures as fast as an SLR.
Ice cream sandwich is awesome, I love the idea of app folder's on the main screen
Its thin is fast and snappy
To many to list

And if zumocast sways your decision "because it is awesome". I have it on my nexus, There's a unlocked version that runs great on it.

Just go to the store and play with them both the nexus should sell itself

What about the "cons":blink: for the SGN..I have played with them in the store already. This is my next debate phase:D

pchakmak

Reaction score
Really? Cause when I went to best buy and held each one the Gnex felt like a big cheap plastic toy compared to the razr. I was leaning towards the Gnex until I held it. Now I am planning on getting the razr.

I have heard time and again that the Gnex feels cheap and plasticy. I actually really like the way the back feels. I pretty much love everything about this phone except the volumes situation. Insanely low.

pchakmak

Reaction score
Really? Cause when I went to best buy and held each one the Gnex felt like a big cheap plastic toy compared to the razr. I was leaning towards the Gnex until I held it. Now I am planning on getting the razr. <br>
<br>
<br><br>I have heard time and again that the Gnex feels cheap and plasticy. I actually really like the way the back feels. I pretty much love everything about this phone except the volumes situation. Insanely low.

OP
04CiviCon20s

04CiviCon20s

Reaction score
I have heard time and again that the Gnex feels cheap and plasticy. I actually really like the way the back feels. I pretty much love everything about this phone except the volumes situation. Insanely low.

I think the rzr does feel more sturdier. The back of the SGN imho is Flimsy. Then again, not a major setback..

triplejnj

Reaction score
I have been deciding between the Nexus and Razr for the past several months. I waited until the Nexus was released and picked it up based on the hype, specs, and positive reviews of the GSM version. I now have until 1/15/12 to decide if its a keeper or if I switch to the Razr. I do like this phone, but it does have its share of issues. Some of the issues are just due to the fact that its a new phone with a new OS and these will be addressed in updates. Some of the other issues are not and I would have to live with. The pros of the Nexus have been discussed many times (ICS, NFC, no bloat, etc) so I wont go into them. Compared to the Razr, here are the cons I am finding with this phone:

1) While the phone feels sturdy, the build quality is just not the same as the Razr. I hate phone cases, yet I have one on the Nexus now. I hate screen protectors, but I think I will be putting one on soon. With the Razr I would have no problem keeping the phone "naked" like I did with my OG Droid for 2 years.
2) Even after several full charge cycles, battery life will not be as good as the Razr, and thats not saying much. Granted this is partly due to the much nicer screen, but still, battery life is important to me. I don't even have LTE turned on (don't have it in my area) and the battery is still draining rather quickly. Yes, I can get a full day, but I am not a heavy power user.
3) The camera has been MUCH less than desirable so far. Yes, it is quick at snapping a pic, but whats the point if the output is a mushy mess? I took many pictures at a family holiday gathering yesterday and seriously could not get ONE good picture. It was daytime, indoors, plenty of natural light. I was sure to hold my hand steady, touch to focus, and then snap. Yet still the pictures just looked a little blurry and simply lacked detail. I had to keep reverting to my wife's iPhone 4s to take some pictures we can keep. I know people will say "Its a phone not a camera. If you want good pics use a real camera", but I disagree. Technology is at the point where quality pics are achievable from a smartphone, but in my opinion not from this phone. Hopefully this is something that can be fixed in an update or aftermarket app, but I'm not counting on it.
4) Bugs in ICS. I am sure most will get resolved in updates. I've had a few random black screen reboots. I am using the email widget which I LOVE, but after some time the widget just doesn't want to refresh with new email, so I have to remove the widget and re-apply it.
5) Volume too low and vibrate too week. With my OG Droid, the vibrate was nice and strong so in my pants pocket I would know right away when a call or notification was coming in. The vibrate mechanism of the Nexus just feels much weaker and I often don't even notice it. Not sure if this can be fixed in an update. And we are all aware of the low volume issues. I hear there is an app that will help, but havent yet tried it.
6)I might be alone on this, but I do notice occassional stuttering when scrolling through the app list, screens, etc.

Please note I am not bashing the phone. These are just the cons I am noticing. I do realize the Razr has its own set of cons which I will need to investigate should I decide to switch. I do plan on keeping this Nexus at least until the 2nd week of January and then will decide. This will allow time for the 4.0.3 update to be released and for me to continue personalizing and tweaking the phone, settings, etc. I have not included the Rezound in my short list. I played with it in store and while it is a slick phone, I found it too bulky and do not like HTC Sense.

bmkdroid

Reaction score
I think the rzr does feel more sturdier. The back of the SGN imho is Flimsy. Then again, not a major setback..

Definitely is kind of flimsy, but if you check out some videos where people take off the back of the razr, it is also very thin and flimsy as well. Only problem I have with the back of my SGN is it seems to have a little bit of give as in I can push in the back and it moves in a bit. It isn't the connectors though, its almost just like it is bubbled out on the back very slightly.

GeneralZod

Reaction score
Still have my DX and trying to decide between the GN and RAZR. So far, I'm leaning towards the RAZR for the following reasons...

• Moto > Samsung
  • Better battery life
  • If I could only remove one, the battery or the SD, I'd rather be able to remove the SD
  • Prefer the design of the RAZR, build quality, etc.
  • Have no desire to be an early adopter with a new OS
  • Have no need of ROMs

OP
04CiviCon20s

04CiviCon20s

Reaction score
Definitely is kind of flimsy, but if you check out some videos where people take off the back of the razr, it is also very thin and flimsy as well. Only problem I have with the back of my SGN is it seems to have a little bit of give as in I can push in the back and it moves in a bit. It isn't the connectors though, its almost just like it is bubbled out on the back very slightly.

I'll Check that out..Thnks

OP
04CiviCon20s

04CiviCon20s

Reaction score
Still have my DX and trying to decide between the GN and RAZR. So far, I'm leaning towards the RAZR for the following reasons...

• Moto > Samsung
  • Better battery life
  • If I could only remove one, the battery or the SD, I'd rather be able to remove the SD
  • Prefer the design of the RAZR, build quality, etc.
  • Have no desire to be an early adopter with a new OS
  • Have no need of ROMs

You've hit on a few of my concerns and I appreciate the honesty. I gotta have custom roms (Hello MIUI:D)
removeable SD is a MUST, battery life (never had good experience w/samsung), Moto = tough build..I can deal with New OS bugs as long as they're not MAJOR (like MMS is in MIUI is to my TB right now:frown:)

Last edited: