G2 unable to send/receive MMS/pics

Domestic violence

Reaction score
Started yesterday. Rebooted the phone, downloaded VZW messaging app (to replace LG app), cleared caches... Everything short of a factory reset. Still nothing... Error message "file size has exceeded limit" (or something close to that). I finally broke down and called VZW and the first rep had me do everything that I had already done, with negative results. Thy put me on with a Tier-2 rep who immediately said that it is a known issue on LG's end since the KitKat update and to expect a fix "sometime in September". I said that wasn't acceptable and would like to know why the initial rep wasn't aware of this known issue. Even though the phone is ubder warranty, having a replacemement sent wouldnt fix the issue. I requested to speak to a manager, for which I was put on hold. When the manager eventually pick the call up, she recommended a warranty replacement from LG. I disagreed and she urged me to consider a CLNR device from VZW now. When I told her she contradicted the previous reps recommendation, she told me I was eleligible for an upgrade and began to analyze my current plan. I asked her why I would accept a used CLNR replacement that would likely suffer the same issue, since its a KNOWN issue? Her response was that " hopefully the replacement wouldn't have the KitKat update".

In the end, there was no resolution. I still can't send or receive MMS. I did get a computer generated survey which I gave them all zeros/extremely unhappy.

I'll wait for a follow up call and don't want to make a decision based on frustration.

Claudzion

Reaction score
Wow. Sorry to hear that. My daughter has been having issues with phone since update as well. We have AT&T. Let's see what happens when we visit them Monday. Good luck!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

OP
Domestic violence

Domestic violence

Reaction score
On my 2nd factory reset since KitKat. Absolutely hate losing my pictures (on the phone, all are on G+) and reconfiguring everything.

It seems to have worked... For now

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Started yesterday. Rebooted the phone, downloaded VZW messaging app (to replace LG app), cleared caches... Everything short of a factory reset. Still nothing... Error message "file size has exceeded limit" (or something close to that). I finally broke down and called VZW and the first rep had me do everything that I had already done, with negative results. Thy put me on with a Tier-2 rep who immediately said that it is a known issue on LG's end since the KitKat update and to expect a fix "sometime in September". I said that wasn't acceptable and would like to know why the initial rep wasn't aware of this known issue. Even though the phone is ubder warranty, having a replacemement sent wouldnt fix the issue. I requested to speak to a manager, for which I was put on hold. When the manager eventually pick the call up, she recommended a warranty replacement from LG. I disagreed and she urged me to consider a CLNR device from VZW now. When I told her she contradicted the previous reps recommendation, she told me I was eleligible for an upgrade and began to analyze my current plan. I asked her why I would accept a used CLNR replacement that would likely suffer the same issue, since its a KNOWN issue? Her response was that " hopefully the replacement wouldn't have the KitKat update".

In the end, there was no resolution. I still can't send or receive MMS. I did get a computer generated survey which I gave them all zeros/extremely unhappy.

I'll wait for a follow up call and don't want to make a decision based on frustration.

Might sound very silly but have you tried using Handcent text app? It allows manually configure mms size.
I have a T-Mobile G2 and have no issues sending mms on the stock app or Handcent as long as I manually turn the data network on before sending and leave it on until sent. I think Chomp allows the maximum size option also. Before switching carriers from Verizon I couldn't send mms from my Note2, with 4.3, and about half of my texts didn't send anymore either. It started back on Christmas day. No matter what I tried they'd never send or give a not sent message. Texting and mms , using Verizon Messages, worked fine FROM A TABLET OVER WIFI, so I'd Bluetooth a photo to my Note8 and send it and that'd work just fine and quickly. Receiving messages of any sort was fine on the tablet but also wouldn't work on the phone like described above.
Hope that helps.

Sent from my LG-D801 using Tapatalk

OP
Domestic violence

Domestic violence

Reaction score
I tried VZW messaging, Handcent, Go, Chomp... All of them. None worked. I'm not a complainer by any means, and I'm also not an unreasonable person to deal with. VZW simply failed to fix the problem and failed to satisfy me as a long paying customer.

As an end-user, I had already done MUCH more than the original tech instructed me to do. Tier-2 got on the line and said its a known issue which MAY be fixed by LG by September.

Unacceptable.

what is amusing is that I did the dreaded factory data reset and it's fixed.

not one of the 3 VZW reps suggested a reset

scottysize

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone XS Max
That's really weird. Of course, I'm using the original LG app, not VZW's app, so maybe that's the difference? I have no problems sending or receiving MMS pictures. I'm on Verizon as well. I didn't even know this was a problem. I'm running the latest 4.4.2. I'm rooted, but I don't think that should be the reason why I can and you can't. I'd recommend that you call them back with the problem and ask them to transfer you to a LG rep. Yes, they can do that. Don't let them tell you they can't. Then see what the LG rep says. He/she will probably say send us the phone and we'll fix/replace it for you. I doubt they'll say it's a known issue, because it's not. At least not one that i know about.

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I know this is bringing up an older thread but my G2 began to refuse to send/receive mms this week. I ran the phone in safe mode this morning (hold power button, HOLD off icon for a couple seconds until it asks if you want to run in safe mode, tap ok). Mms send and receive fine, and this is a real kicker, the sluggish focus in low light the phone has had since day 1 is no longer.
I'm going to uninstall 3rd party apps that recently updated one at a time and I'll report my findings back once I figure out which one is killing my ability to attach anything to mms. Stock messaging app gives "failed to attach" error sms Handcent and Chomp both force close when attempting to attach anything. Like I said, mms works fine on the stock app in safe mode, thus ensuring is a bug in a 3rd party app somewhere.

Support Our Troops!!!
<><
Notate

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
After taking out of safe mode I began to uninstall apps 1 at a time, the first being Amazon Cloud Drive. It turns out to have been the problem, or at least the phone is working normally again without uninstalling any others.

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I was reading it didn't matter the carrier but was hit and miss on LG and Samsung phones that updated to 4.4.2. The fact that it was working fine along with reading the hit and miss led me to attempt safe mode first before anything more extreme. Android fragmentation rearing its ugly head once again.

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Another update on the bug. It started again today, no apps installed or updated. Put phone in safe mode, worked fine, took it out of safe mode, worked fine.

scottysize

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone XS Max
Somebody in another forums said this was a "Known" issue. I chastised her about using the word "Known" as no one else had complained, but now you're still having problems. I'm assuming you've already done an FDR, right?

devdeuce

Reaction score
My phone started doing this today, says file limit exceeded when trying to send a pic. If this is not a known issue, i have a feeling it soon will be as i updated to kitkat months ago and it just started. If anyone out there knows of a fix, please let me know. Very annoying. Thanks

P.S. pics from old conversations that were there yesterday are also gone. Shows broken photo logo

Last edited:

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
My phone started doing this today, says file limit exceeded when trying to send a pic. If this is not a known issue, i have a feeling it soon will be as i updated to kitkat months ago and it just started. If anyone out there knows of a fix, please let me know. Very annoying. Thanks

P.S. pics from old conversations that were there yesterday are also gone. Shows broken photo logo
I think we the owners of these devices will have to find the common denominator, a third party something that isn't playing nice, and either uninstall it enmass after writing the developer if they don't fix it. Mine was not there either when the phone was new, works fine after putting into safe mode for a moment and putting back into regular mode for a few days. The fact that safe mode works fine (though broken photos stay broken) says it's something 3rd party.
I use Nova Launcher and it might just be a coincidence but it started soon after its last update,I wrote the developer and he gave me a short and non friendly reply basically saying "not my problem contact your carrier". He says the launcher has nothing to do with mms , which technically he is correct, but with Android many things interact with each other in ways that it could actually be the problem unknowingly.
When it did it yesterday I uninstalled a few apps that updated around the same time, Green Power, Tiny Flashlight, CM Security, and Amazon music, rebooted to eliminate possible residuals before putting it in safe mode and only safe mode fixed it.

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Somebody in another forums said this was a "Known" issue. I chastised her about using the word "Known" as no one else had complained, but now you're still having problems. I'm assuming you've already done an FDR, right?
I've read well over a dozen reports that fdr did not work and the fact that putting it in safe mode does work leads me to believe doing fdr is not the solution at this time.