Froyo Update - First Impressions

abe7333

Reaction score
How's it turned out so far for everyone?
(The official release version of course.)

I love it so far, definitely won't be going back to my iPhone.
(I will be keeping it as an iPod though, amazing for side use through wifi)

No problems here.

Likes?, Dislikes?, whatever!

So fast I love it. Flash is awesome.

Abe

Tradd

Reaction score
I just got my DX on Monday, so I only had it two days, period, before 2.2. I swear the app launcher icon required a much longer press on it before the apps came up. Now, it seems like you only need to briefly touch it and it launches.

Installed just fine.

Last edited:

OhSnap

Reaction score
I did the update this morning on my droid X. after the update it worked fine for a few hours. Then my screen started acting up, sliding from page to page on its own. I tried to power it down, but the touch screen wasnt working. I pulled the battery, put it back in and now im just stuck at the Motorola icon screen. the phone works. i get phone calls and i can slide to answer, but all i see is the M logo. how can i fix this.

Last edited:

countryboy498

Reaction score
For those of you complaining about the vibrate/silent feature being gone. Get Beautiful Widgets from the market, its only around $1.80 US I think. They have a widget for silent and a widget for vib so you can choose either with one touch. Plus the rest of Beautiful Widgets is really cool. Well worth it. As far as 2.2 in general I am just starting to play with it.

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I did the update this morning on my droid X. after the update it worked fine for a few hours. Then my screen started acting up, sliding from page to page on its own. I trided to poewer it down, b ut the touch screen wasnt working. I pulled the battery, put it back in and now im just stuck at the Motorola icon screen. the phone wor. i get phone calls and i can slide to answer, but all i see is the M logo. how can i fix this.
If you're phone is stock (not rooted)... I'd try a factory reset.
If that doesn't work, I'd be making a trip to Verizon.

OhSnap

Reaction score
I did the update this morning on my droid X. after the update it worked fine for a few hours. Then my screen started acting up, sliding from page to page on its own. I trided to poewer it down, b ut the touch screen wasnt working. I pulled the battery, put it back in and now im just stuck at the Motorola icon screen. the phone wor. i get phone calls and i can slide to answer, but all i see is the M logo. how can i fix this.
If you're phone is stock (not rooted)... I'd try a factory reset.
If that doesn't work, I'd be making a trip to Verizon.

its all stock, how do i reset it?

BodyBagz

Reaction score
Loaded the 2.2 update last night around 11:30pm...and so far, heres my take on it vs 2.1...

My Pros:

1) Battery Life! By gar and away my battery usage has improved atleast %25 - %35! I take my phone off the charger when I get up at 5:30 am, and by the time I go to bed at 12-01am it is near 20-30%. This is with light Data use through the day, 3-5 text messages, 1-5 short calls and maybe 1 hour of light games(paper toss), and then 1 hour of music through my car stereo. As of right now, I am showing %70 with 14 hours 14 minutes "off the charger" time! That is 1 hell of an increase no matter how you slice it.

2) System Speed. It seems the phone is about 10-15% faster. Now, having said that, there is a bit of "choppiness" to go along with the speed increase, but I dont see this as a real bother at the moment.

3) Save to SD. This will actually come in handy more down the road when I start adding ROMS to play with. But, as of right now, it is good for just saving "downloaded from elsewhere" apps.

My Cons:

1) Root. I was rooted prior to the OTA update..but it seems now I am either only partially rooted or have lost full root altogether. I still have a "super user" icon in my app drawer, but it only shows Beautiful Widgets..not Wireless Tether or any other app that requires "root" to function. So, now I get to wait for a workable "root" for 2.2 in order to get Wireless Tether back to functioning...luckily this is not something that I am in "dire" need of all the time.

2) yeah, I got nuttin else....:)

chefb

Reaction score
I keep getting a show java script console bar on the screen whart is that and how do I remove it

alboboy10

Reaction score
Is it JUST me or when I go to forums, it seems laggier when you try to swing the screen left and right...it's slow. Way slower then before.

And this damn lock screen/pattern lock thing....anybody found any solutions?!

Burnintrees

Reaction score
Is it JUST me or when I go to forums, it seems laggier when you try to swing the screen left and right...it's slow. Way slower then before.

Im using dolphin browser and its so laggy/slow shifting around the screen. Im going to try and use the stock browser now.

Edit* seems like when there is a lot of text its really slow gliding if you don't flick it.

Last edited:

alboboy10

Reaction score

Im using dolphin browser and its so laggy/slow shifting around the screen. Im going to try and use the stock browser now.

That's the one I'm having problems with. When it comes to browser, I like to keep the regular one. But now, whenever I navigate through a forum I go to occasionally, there's ads on top of the page and they seem as though they're moving. In addition, when I scroll left and right it's so SLOW! It feels terrible, way worse than before.

The one improvement that is clear is on the pop up menu for apps, no lag there and the option to move to SD card is cool too. But other than that, I don't like froyo. Idk what all the fuss was about.

Edit. EXACTLY! if there is a lot of text, it lags like crazy. On facebook for example it's ok. But in forums, or large pages it's terrible.

Last edited:

alboboy10

Reaction score
I hope there's gonna be another update coming out. I think they might have released this one early or something. I don't understand why so many things were changed for the worse.
I gotta say, battery didnt really improve either.

Why does the browser automatically go to the last website I was on when I kill all tasks using advanced task killer. Shouldn't load up the last website.

technique

Reaction score
For those of you complaining about the vibrate/silent feature being gone. Get Beautiful Widgets from the market, its only around $1.80 US I think. They have a widget for silent and a widget for vib so you can choose either with one touch. Plus the rest of Beautiful Widgets is really cool. Well worth it. As far as 2.2 in general I am just starting to play with it.

Beautiful silent/vibrate widgets are free on the Market.