Galaxy nexus first impressions

kookk

Reaction score
So a few hours ago I picked up a galaxy nexus coming from a thunderbolt. Here are my first impressions. I'm going to nit pick due to the hype around the phone.

Screen - easily the biggest hype outside of ics. I was a tad underwhelmed believe it or not. From hearing everyone else, I expected a screen better than the iPhones. I do notice pixelation however it is SUPER tiny. I was expecting crystal clear. The colors are great and full and the screen is very bright and easy to see outside, especially over my thunderbolt. So in all honesty the screen is fantastic, but I was expecting perfection, but a 9.9 out of 10 is close enough.

Camera - I was actually impressed. Everyone harps on it, but it takes better pics than my og or my thunderbolt by far. Sure it isn't a rezound or iPhone camera but it is still very good.

Build - thin, light, solid. I am having a hard time adjusting to typing because it is so thin. For now that's a con but obviously I will adjust. Great build.

ICS - So intuitive and polished. I really like it. I was experiencing lag but after using the phone for a few hours it has gone from laggy to snappy quick. Super smooth and very fast. Right now I have very little desire to even root it because I have 0 gripes about the current software. It would take more energy than its worth at this point I feel. (This is without having been able to test the battery, its all riding on how the battery performs)

Battery - haven't used it long enough to tell. I have the extended and stock so I'll update this later.

Speaker - very surprised, and pleasantly at that. I find it more than loud enough. It is MUCH louder than my thunderbolt. I have no idea why people are complaining about it.

Keyboard - fantastic keyboard. Typing is a joy. Super accurate and snappy. Correcting mispellings has never been so easy. I love it. I did have a problem with the placement of the comma button, but found out that can be changed in settings

Signal - I have had no problems. I get the same, or better signal with this phone than I do my thunderbolt or Droid.

Voice calls - haven't made any yet. I'll update this later.

Overall I am very impressed. Love the phone from what I've seen so far. I greatly encourage anyone who is on the fence to get this phone. By far the best I've ever used.

My biggest problem with the phone is the placement of the comma button. If that doesn't hold testament to how great this thing is, I don't know if anything else can.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DroidForums

Last edited:

Liderc

Silver Member
Reaction score
You can make the comma replace the voice button, I did it somehow by adjusting the settings but can't figure it out right now, I'm sure someone will post instructions.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Nice pickup on the Nexus. Glad to hear you're enjoying it so far.

turdbogls

Reaction score
i agree with you mostly.
i cannot see any pixels on the phone. the screen is FANTABULOUS! lol
ICS is steller.
Camera is really nice...as nice as my TB....probably not. but it is still very acceptable
Build is solid.
battery, you had the TB, prepare to not be blown away by the battery...however the 4.0.4 update is said to make a HUGE difference
Speaker, i am happy with it.
voice calls, sound much clearer than my TB did
signal, not up to par with my TB. but it is getting there. maybe another radio update or 2 (after 4.0.4 radios) and it will be equal
keyboard, i dont use stock....AI type you can put the comma up front to the left of the space bar, longpress for speak to text

overall, this is by far the best phone i have ever had. SUPER happy with it. i almost didn't root, but i am glad i did. some of the quick toggles are totally worth it plus getting to use the leaked software before the OTA hits makes it worth it to me. plus i love swapping in themed apps.

OP
K

kookk

Reaction score
You can make the comma replace the voice button, I did it somehow by adjusting the settings but can't figure it out right now, I'm sure someone will post instructions.

You're right, you have to turn off automatic Google voice or whatever the setting is called. Thanks!

JeffDenver

Reaction score
So a few hours ago I picked up a galaxy nexus coming from a thunderbolt. Here are my first impressions. I'm going to nit pick due to the hype around the phone.

Screen - easily the biggest hype outside of ics. I was a tad underwhelmed believe it or not. From hearing everyone else, I expected a screen better than the iPhones. I do notice pixelation however it is SUPER tiny. I was expecting crystal clear. The colors are great and full and the screen is very bright and easy to see outside, especially over my thunderbolt. So in all honesty the screen is fantastic, but I was expecting perfection, but a 9.9 out of 10 is close enough.
The iPhone WISHES it had blacks as deep as what the Nexus has. And I actually like the curved fingerprint-proof glass on it.

And it's pixel density is not very far from the iPhone's even though it is slightly lower. I think the Pentile artifacts are the only reason you are able to see pixels at all. The Rezound is the only phone that matches or beats the iPhone for pixel density. I personally like the Galaxy nexus display far better than the iPhone's.

(and right now, IMO, there is no "perfect" display...all of the have assets and liabilities)

ICS - So intuitive and polished. I really like it. I was experiencing lag but after using the phone for a few hours it has gone from laggy to snappy quick. Super smooth and very fast. Right now I have very little desire to even root it because I have 0 gripes about the current software. It would take more energy than its worth at this point I feel. (This is without having been able to test the battery, its all riding on how the battery performs)
It did not seem that smooth to me when I used it, but I don't think that is because of the Nexus, but because Google has always had ****ty launchers for Vanilla Android. I have no idea why they insist on doing that. Google has NEVER had a good launcher on Android. It is annoying.

The only ICS launcher I know of is Nova...does anyone know if it is smoother than default?

Last edited:

Liderc

Silver Member
Reaction score
You're right, you have to turn off automatic Google voice or whatever the setting is called. Thanks!

NP, I knew I had figured it out, but couldn't remember what I did. Glad you got it worked out. I was about to go nuts myself having to switch screens to hit comma lol, don't know why'd they have the voice to text instead of the comma by default.

OP
K

kookk

Reaction score
I forgot to mention, as said above, how deep blacks are. They look absolutely stunning. Only after a couple hours I looked back at my thunderbolt and blacks looked so grey on it

JeffDenver

Reaction score
I forgot to mention, as said above, how deep blacks are. They look absolutely stunning. Only after a couple hours I looked back at my thunderbolt and blacks looked so grey on it
AMOLED does have it's drawbacks, but I personally prefer it to LCD, all else being equal.

Htown315

Reaction score

Congrats on the purchase, you made the right choice hands down...now root it! It gets even better.

gloveman

Reaction score
NP, I knew I had figured it out, but couldn't remember what I did. Glad you got it worked out. I was about to go nuts myself having to switch screens to hit comma lol, don't know why'd they have the voice to text instead of the comma by default.

Just hold the ......period down. (aka long press) And waalaaa! Inserts a comma or whatever other !?:;" punctuation u want.

Liderc

Silver Member
Reaction score
Just hold the ......period down. (aka long press) And waalaaa! Inserts a comma or whatever other !?:;" punctuation u want.

Thanks for the trick, but I'm a commaholic, so I'll keep mine on the keyboard heh.