Froyo Update - First Impressions

arabstar1982

Reaction score
How do you update all the apps at once from the market? so far I have only seen the option to go in individually to each one and update automatically.

After playing with the phone for a few hours, it does seem to be speeding up after this update... which is good because it was slow at first!

Also, has anyone had a chance to look into the HTC_IME_mod keyboard issue?

TwerpPoet

Reaction score
Scrolling and tapping is working much better. Used to be I'd end up accidentally selecting things in the market or settings every other time I scrolled the lists. This was one of my major complaints.

I like the Gallery app's improvements. Much smoother, nicer interface, and pinch resizing works better.

On the downside the Contact quick tasks widget is buggy. I had to delete them and recreate them to get them to work. When I restarted the phone later, for other reasons, they broke again. Instead of giving me the actions I set up I just end up going to the contact's address page.

It also broke Missing Sync for Android. The app keeps insisting that he external storage be disabled. Once it does this no amount of fiddling can get rid of the error. You have to restart the phone, which is when the Contact Quick Task widgets broke, again.

All in all, I'm pleased. I can always find other contact widgets and if Missing Sync doesn't get fixed I'll go shopping for another solution there too. The basic improvements in the interface behavior is universal, improving the behavior of all apps. Much appreciated.

2legsshrt

Reaction score
Well

It looks like fun. I am having trouble using launcher as default. Only choices I get is adw and launcher pro. I like lp so just made it default but how does everyone else like the one in 2.2 for DX

Jjaeger240

Reaction score
So I was woken up this morning to my phone making the "droid" tone as it restarted itself. I guess my phone decided it wanted 2.2 so bad it didn't even ask if I wanted it, just downloaded and installed on its own.

My phone has yet to come up with asking me for a pin, maybe I'm just lucky?
Also, my phone said it downloaded 2.3.15? Is that right? I thought it was 2.2?
I really like the gallery interface more.
Things seem much more snappy and smooth.
I have the text problem everyone complains about, they're already coming in out of chronological order.
Internet seems to load pages REALLY slow now with Flash (but I'm also in a room of my house with horrible reception).

These were just the couple things I noticed in my first 20 minutes of playing with it after it abruptly woke me up this morning. Was it supposed to auto download like that? I was hearing some not so great things about 2.2 yesterday which is why I was holding off on downloading it, but looks like I got stuck anyway.

musicman

Reaction score
The app drawer is much faster
My led notification light had stopped working and is now fixed
Flash is great with dolphin browser so I can choose when I want it to work
I'm hoping the battery life is better but I'm not sure yet
I have zero complaints about this. I think its awesome that we get updates at all

Ben52

Reaction score
I never noticed the lack of a silent feature, but I sure did after reading your post! What the heck?!! What are you supposed to do when your at a job interview or church or someplace where the vibrating would be heard?

Ben52

Reaction score
Now that we have a flash player, does anybody know what apps or websites we can use to view tv shows (and hook up to the TV with HDMI)

DroidX101

Reaction score
Not sure if it's me or what, but it seems like my signal has decreased not with the official. After the update, I rooted, and somehow lost ALOT of pictures on my sd card. Not sure how that happend. Luckly I had backed up with lookout pro and was able to get most of all my pics except for the last week. Glad there was nothing all that important.

DroidX-31

Reaction score
The Market does not show all my installed apps anymore in Downloads. Now I do not know if my applications need an update. I've just tried searching for one of my installed apps using search and found that it needs an update. Now I do not want to do this on all of my applications just to check if it needs an update. This sucks big time.

Any solution to this problem?

Last edited:

alboboy10

Reaction score
This didn't happen to me...so far I'm on the unhappy side.

DroidX-31

Reaction score
I leave my GPS on all the time. In 2.1 it does get activated if I do not use any app that requires it. Now the GPS activates intermittently. I can tell because of the icon. And I agree with another poster, apps turns on all the time. Even if I killed all the apps using Advanced Task Killer, in one minute, more apps are running again.

Another one, or maybe related, I kill all apps using the ATK's widget and it shows for example 30 apps killed. After some time, I click the widget again and it shows 20 apps killed... I do not understand what's running all these apps. I never invoke these apps... and why a lot?

Last edited:

technique

Reaction score
I noticed that the notification bar at the top of the home screen pulsates different shades of green when the phone is charging now. Pretty cool :)