Free phone calls app?

Sueann

Reaction score
Is there an app for droid where you can make phone calls that won't show on your phone bill or phone log? Is skype the only one and do all of these require wifi to work? Thanks!

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
If you have Friends & Family then you can take the number that Google Voice dials out to and use that to make calls anywhere for free. That and Skype is about it.

harrellj

Reaction score
Hook, only way to do that with GV is to use a 3rd party app to tweak it. GV stopped using a single number for dialing out with in one of the recent updates. To the OP, if you want to go that route, there are tons of threads on here of people wanting GV to be free again.

However, I do believe the calls will still show up in the phone log, not sure of a way around that requirement.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Hook, only way to do that with GV is to use a 3rd party app to tweak it. GV stopped using a single number for dialing out with in one of the recent updates. To the OP, if you want to go that route, there are tons of threads on here of people wanting GV to be free again.

However, I do believe the calls will still show up in the phone log, not sure of a way around that requirement.

You're right, I have read that. I don't use GV for phone calls, thanks for catching that. OP, forget the GV idea. Get unlimited calling, then you can call as often as you like. :)

dietche

Reaction score
Fring

Try Fring. It connects to all the major VOIP, voice enabled IM, and SIP clients,
including Skype, Yahoo, MSN, ICQ, Gtalk, other Fring clients, and so on, over 3g,
4g, or wifi. All your carrier will see is you using data, and your friend can use any
client they like. It's nice having to only keep ONE app to talk to someone no matter
what client _they_ use or like.

You can buy minutes for it like Skype does, so landline calling is also doable.
FringOUT minutes are usually cheaper than Skype too, bonus.

If you have unlimited data but are short on minutes, give it a try. I've had fantastic
luck & success with it, especially for talking to my other friends using several other
types of phones on several other carriers, as well as talking to their laptops and
home computers too.
(I use Verizon which is automatically unlimited to other Verizon users, is what I mean)

Oh, it does video too. Wish I had stock in this company, but, alas, no such luck.

Another option I haven't tried yet, but which is on the front page right now, is the
new Yahoo Droid app that was mentioned to be multiple client aware like Fring.

If I get a little time I'll see about setting that up and determine if it has good sound
and how well it connects to other non-Yahoo apps and see how much their minutes
cost for landline usage, etc.

I'm really slammed the next few days though and I'm almost done with my morning coffee
today, meaning no more goofing off now, so I don't know how long it'll be before I can
report back my experiences to you, friend.

I will try though, to find a wee bit of time. Options are good, and if this app is better
than Fring, I certainly would want everyone to have the very best for their Droids.

HTH;
--D

dietche

Reaction score
P.S.

{couldn't edit for some reason, shrug, double post!}
P.S. Just re-read your OP. As far as logs go, the carrier MIGHT be able to determine,
based on port usage, that you are using a VOIP type client and sending data over
that port MIGHT be directly log-able, in terms of duration, IP addresses of sender
and receiver (which includes your phone since it has an IP), and time of day.

However, your talk won't be seen in your internal phone log section. If someone were
to want to know you talked to suchNsuch, they would have to open your VOIP client
instead. Those clients (for the most part) can be set to not save any history. You're
still left with the carrier possibly knowing you did a VOIP call.

As far as the contents of the conversation go, if that is more your concern, there
is an encrypted client that's currently in beta right now. Both parties have to have the
client, and it's still rather flaky as of last week. When it gets out of beta I'll submit a
news post to here because it does have a LOT of potential and does work very
smoothly at times. It's just the flakiness that they need to iron out now.

HTH;
--D

OP
S

Sueann

Reaction score
fring

HTH, thank you your info is very helpful. To be more specific I am looking for something to make phone calls and sms to an iphone from my verizon droid x without it showing on the phone bill the log itself in the phone is easy enough to delete but it would be convenient if that wasn't necessary. I have been using KiK for sms but need the calls too. I am hoping this can work for iphone as well so the iphone friend can call without the call appearing on their phone bill. I will check out fring and watch for your post when you aren't busy. Thanks!

dietche

Reaction score
It won't show on the phone bill except as data usage. It's the carrier knowing I was
referring to. They will know and could be asked to provide records in a court.

I was thinking you were trying to use this as a reporter might, for talking to a
confidential informant; or, for discussing something bad about your restrictive
government; or some other such thing, where logs from the carrier might get
you jailed, or worse.

If you just want to keep your wife from knowing you are talking to a mistress, use
something like Fring, and add to that an app that can password lock other apps from
running (there are several on the Market) such that the app itself cannot be run
without that password.

Nothing but increased data use will show in the phone bill (if you have an unlimited
data plan, this data use might not even show anyway) and no one can see the
history in the client without a password. Done and Done.

I mention the password locking because some clients are difficult to erase history on.

Hope This Helps (HTH);
--Dietche
Sent from my Droid with my custom shaped thumbnails!