How to talk without a number showing on bill?

spooled_u

Reaction score
Are there any apps or is it even possible to talk to someone without it showing up on the bill at all?

I thought about a google voice app or skype, but to my knowledge they use a phone number...and thus that phone number shows up on the bill. The goal is to talk to someone without ANY number showing on the bill. Is this possible?

tjk629

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
NEXUS 6
Forbidden romance?

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums

Shadez

Super Mod/News Team
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.droidforums.net
Current Phone Model
HTC One M8
Twitter
@Shadez69
Try TiKl Talk in market. Turns your phone into a high quality push to talk walkie talkie.

cupfulloflol

Reaction score
Are there any apps or is it even possible to talk to someone without it showing up on the bill at all?

I thought about a google voice app or skype, but to my knowledge they use a phone number...and thus that phone number shows up on the bill. The goal is to talk to someone without ANY number showing on the bill. Is this possible?

I haven't used Skype, but from my understanding it makes calls over data connection. You can use Skype on a PC which wouldn't have phone service, so I wouldn't think the mobile version would require cell service, especially for the video chatting. But there appears to be a version specific to Verizon....so maybe that version is different. I have no experience with Skype in any form, so I could definitely be wrong here.

Essentially what you will want to do is to use a VOIP (Voice Over Internet Provider) client of some sort. I haven't messed with these in quite some time so my recommendations will probably be a bit out of date.

Back when I did use it I used Google Voice + https://market.android.com/details?id=org.sipdroid.sipua&feature=search_result (SIPDroid) + https://market.android.com/details?id=com.xinlu.gvdial&feature=search_result (GV callback). With this setup as long as you have a data connection (wifi or 3G/4G) you can make and receive calls and SMS messages all which won't show up on the bill. You don't need to use Google Voice, I am just showing how I had mine setup.

https://market.android.com/details?id=com.csipsimple&feature=related_apps (CSipSimple) <-- that looks interesting too, as a different option to SIPDroid.

https://market.android.com/details?id=com.viber.voip&feature=search_result (Viber)<-- I have seen that get some news coverage as to being released, so I guess it is halfway decent.

https://market.android.com/details?id=com.nimbuzz&feature=search_result (Nimbuzz)<-- that also has been mentioned a few times.

Alternatively, if you both have smartphones you have some different options, like say Tikl as Shadez mentioned. There are also video and text based chat clients as well depending on devices. Some are cross platform and some may only work on one OS.

louy99

Reaction score
Yep, sure is. Don't call the number. Obviously its someone you shouldn't be talking to in the first place. Its a lot easier to put your morals first instead of figuring a way around them. End of soapbox.

Sent from my ADR6350 using DroidForums

+1

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums

tonydelite

Reaction score
What if the OP is a woman in an abusive relationship, and she wants to call a shelter to get help?

Just because they are trying to cover their tracks doesn't mean they are up to no good!

But they probably are :)

OP
S

spooled_u

Reaction score
Yep, sure is. Don't call the number. Obviously its someone you shouldn't be talking to in the first place. Its a lot easier to put your morals first instead of figuring a way around them. End of soapbox.

Thank you for your concern.

Forbidden romance?

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums

Something like that.

Try TiKl Talk.....
I haven't used Skype..........

Cup and Shadez....ty both for your input.

Cup...thanks alot for the links and advice. I will look into every one of those.

And yes, we both have smartphones...both are Droid 2, and both use Verizon.

I will check these out and try the most promising ones. I will test them out and post results just in case anyone in the future can find this thread useful.

Thanks again for everyone's input.

nikecar

Reaction score
If it cheating, it will always come back to bite you in the as*.

bishoy

Reaction score
well, if you have google voice and are willing to pay $4 for an app, theres an app called GrooVe IP that uses your data (3G or wifi) instead of minutes to call

UrbanBounca

Rescue Squad
Staff member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
This thread amazes me. For you people jumping on the moral bandwagon, keep in mind that assumptions usually get you in trouble.

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums

jseah

Reaction score
And if you have Google voice and you make the call by calling into your Google voice number and then initiating the call from within Google voice, then your Google voice number will be the number that appears in the cell phone call records, not the final number you called.

FWIW, another alternative would be to consider getting a "throw-away" phone. Essentially a cheap prepaid phone that is paid and activated in cash. Many places will sell these phones for cash and will allow the customer to activate them without needing the verify the name on the account with ID. Then when additional minutes are needed, you just top it off for cash.

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
And if you have Google voice and you make the call by calling into your Google voice number and then initiating the call from within Google voice, then your Google voice number will be the number that appears in the cell phone call records, not the final number you called.
Incorrect, the GV access number is called, not the person's GV number.

This thread amazes me. For you people jumping on the moral bandwagon, keep in mind that assumptions usually get you in trouble.
...as does deception. Threads like this shouldn't be amazing if you've been around for any length of time. Responses are fairly typical from what I've seen.

Last edited: