For those of you to switched from moto droid to X

sweeeeet

Silver Member
Reaction score
Question @ moto droid 1 users.... did they allow you to upgrade to a droid x from the droid 1 since the droid 1 has only been out for 8 months of the 2 yr agreement? i really want the x and i don't mind paying the $200 but i tried to do the transaction online and it took me to a page to purchase the droid x for the retail price

cizzlen

Reaction score
Question @ moto droid 1 users.... did they allow you to upgrade to a droid x from the droid 1 since the droid 1 has only been out for 8 months of the 2 yr agreement? i really want the x and i don't mind paying the $200 but i tried to do the transaction online and it took me to a page to purchase the droid x for the retail price

I have 3 upgrades including my own line with a family share plan which I assume most people are using as well. I'm thinking about making the big step up to the X quite soon. Some however are paying retail price yet others have one year contracts etc...

djlackey5

Reaction score
I had the original Droid and returned it within the verizon 30-day grace period (once the X was announced only days after getting the Droid). Did not have it long enough to fall in love, and switched for the larger screen and lighter weight (a beautiful combination). ONLY DOWNSIDE so far, is that I seem to get a worse connection (fewer bars, spotty web dropouts) in my house. Don't miss the physical keyboard, which I thought I might, as a former Blackberry user.

Dave12308

Silver Member
Reaction score
I love it, major, major imporovement. I've been waiting for music controls on the lockcreen, and I love the Fm radio, and it fast. I still have my Droid 1, so if I feel homesick for any reason I can go back. And I have no doubt we will get root.

Root? Probably gonna happen.

Custom kernels/ROMs? Doesn't seem too likely.

Googleaddict

Reaction score
I want to upgrade to the X because of the speed and screen and i've been having tons of problems with my past 2 droids, but i cannot because my upgrade is in December..

Dave12308

Silver Member
Reaction score
Don't know about 20 second lag time and being unacceptably slow ^
my setup makes my phone pretty fast, in almost every way. Although I was considering The DX, I think I'm going to hold out just a little longer

I'm with you...... I seriously don't understand all of these folks who have upgraded and all of a sudden talk like their original DROID was running a 386SX processor at 33MHz.

The DROID is far from slow, and in fact exhibits much less lag than my dual-core desktop PC. I mean, if someone was upgrading from a BlackBerry Storm to the X, I could see the "much faster" comments. But in everyday use, the DROID's UI is pretty much instantaneous. I don't see how saving 0.0002ms per screen tap is really all that important.

And if your having 20 second lag time, there is something wrong with your ROM, your phone, or both.

I'm sorry, i'm not hating on the Droid X at all, i'm sure it's a beautiful device in it's own right.... But i'm pretty sick of people acting like all of a sudden, the DROID is dog-slow and performs like old folks having sex.

littlerick

Reaction score
my setup makes my phone pretty fast, in almost every way. Although I was considering The DX, I think I'm going to hold out just a little longer

I'm with you...... I seriously don't understand all of these folks who have upgraded and all of a sudden talk like their original DROID was running a 386SX processor at 33MHz.

The DROID is far from slow, and in fact exhibits much less lag than my dual-core desktop PC. I mean, if someone was upgrading from a BlackBerry Storm to the X, I could see the "much faster" comments. But in everyday use, the DROID's UI is pretty much instantaneous. I don't see how saving 0.0002ms per screen tap is really all that important.

And if your having 20 second lag time, there is something wrong with your ROM, your phone, or both.

I'm sorry, i'm not hating on the Droid X at all, i'm sure it's a beautiful device in it's own right.... But i'm pretty sick of people acting like all of a sudden, the DROID is dog-slow and performs like old folks having sex.

have you tried the droid x? i thought my droid 1 was quick and didnt notice the lag it had until i got my droid x. there was quite a bit of difference.

Seapup

Reaction score

I ran my stock Droid since launch day and thought it was s-l-o-w. I rooted it and overclocked it @ 1GHz. It was definitely faster, but lagged in unpredictable ways... much more so than the stock Rom. I've tried 3 different Roms and settled with DroidMod @ 1GHz. It works, it's relatively fast, stable and doesn't overheat. But I guess I didn't really know what smooth and fast was until I picked up my Droid X last Thursday. It really does provide "instantaneous" response and gratification. dancedroid dancedroid dancedroid

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score
I rooted my Droid, installed Froyo and was using an updated baseband that gave me better reception than the 2.1 baseband.

My X gets better reception than my Droid running Froyo. That alone make me happy I got the X.

And ppl....cmon. Unless u ran a custom ROM, installed a different launcher, installed Froyo and bumped the cpu up, the Droid runs slower than the Inc and X. Stock vs. stock ppl...stock vs. stock. Cuz remember everyone doesnt root, run custom ROMs.

The only thing that makes the Droid perform near the X is Froyo and Launcher Pro, or if someone got JIT to work on a 2.1 ROM. Hell, X owners need Launcher Pro too, the stock launcher is not so good....lol

Last edited:

sweeeeet

Silver Member
Reaction score
I have 3 upgrades including my own line with a family share plan which I assume most people are using as well. I'm thinking about making the big step up to the X quite soon. Some however are paying retail price yet others have one year contracts etc...

yea i have 3 lines too on a fam plan but they all expire the same day and didn't know people took one year plans was the phone price higher? i'd like to switch my droid for an x but it doesn't look like its possible at the moment

as for retail... never have never will lol

kmasum

Reaction score
This phone awesome! I love the big screen and yes motoblur too...loving the hd camera too..its a super fast phone...day night difference than my original droid...can't imagine using it with 2.2 hopefully by end of next month.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

HwnDroid

Reaction score
I switched because of the keyboard. I wanted one without the slide out keyboard. Gotta say tho it is a slick phone.

monkeyshines

Reaction score
Big improvement. The large screen, video recording quality, bigger keyboard, and just the overall "sexiness" of the phone's design (slim, solid) make the switch definitely worth it for me. My droid was lightning quick and had all the goodies with 2.2 and cyanogenmod, but the speed of the x is comparable and once we get 2.2 and/or custom roms, this thing will be SICK.

keithsmith22

Reaction score
I want to upgrade to the X because of the speed and screen and i've been having tons of problems with my past 2 droids, but i cannot because my upgrade is in December..

You may want to look into upgrading early then. I believe they are still running their early upgrade promotion with no penalty.

I am personally waiting until the 2Ghz beast show up. I want the Droid X but I will be patient until my next upgrade next year.

Reaction score
Love it. Love the speed and responsiveness. As far as the screen, I hope that 4.3 screens never go out of style, cause I can never go back to those tiny screens!