HTC Evo VS. Droid X

Evo4Life

Reaction score
I'm thinking about switching from Sprint to Verizon and that would mean unfortunately giving up on the best phone on the market, in my honest opinion, which is the Evo. Would the Droid X be a good alternative to a person used to the Evo? I've read a couple reviews but most just say they're virtually the same except the Evo has the front facing camera and the DX doesn't. Which is a major bummer. But anyway, just thought I'd ask some experienced Droid X users to see the advantages and disadvantages of switching from an Evo to a DX. Think it's a good switch?

Inkarnit

Reaction score
I used to live in Jacksonville, FL and was on the Sprint network with my Palm Pre. I loved Sprint and had no intentions of leaving. I moved to Virginia Beach, VA and all of a sudden, Sprint's network blew the goat. I was under the impression that the signal of the Evo would be improved over the Pre and that would alleviate my problems. I was 2 months away from my upgrade, however, and they wouldn't budge on that (2 months would have been at one year, which is early already). I was totally bummed because I wanted the Evo BAD! When I saw the Droid X come out, I decided it was worth switching to Verizon for since my Pre was almost always with no signal. The reviews you've read have been pretty accurate. They are pretty similar other than that front facing camera, but with Motorola's experience behind it instead of HTC. HTC Sense is a very pretty UI, but the Beautiful Widgets, you can create a nearly identical look on the X. Hardware-wise, the X is going to have about double the battery life of the Evo. Unless that front facing camera is of dire importance to you, I'd say it is a good move. It may not be a true upgrade, but it is at least lateral.

B.Wallace85

Reaction score
I used to live in Jacksonville, FL and was on the Sprint network with my Palm Pre. I loved Sprint and had no intentions of leaving. I moved to Virginia Beach, VA and all of a sudden, Sprint's network blew the goat. I was under the impression that the signal of the Evo would be improved over the Pre and that would alleviate my problems. I was 2 months away from my upgrade, however, and they wouldn't budge on that (2 months would have been at one year, which is early already). I was totally bummed because I wanted the Evo BAD! When I saw the Droid X come out, I decided it was worth switching to Verizon for since my Pre was almost always with no signal. The reviews you've read have been pretty accurate. They are pretty similar other than that front facing camera, but with Motorola's experience behind it instead of HTC. HTC Sense is a very pretty UI, but the Beautiful Widgets, you can create a nearly identical look on the X. Hardware-wise, the X is going to have about double the battery life of the Evo. Unless that front facing camera is of dire importance to you, I'd say it is a good move. It may not be a true upgrade, but it is at least lateral.

My brother has an Evo. His battery life is 5 hours on some days. And they have fragile screens from what I've seen. Out of the 4 people I know with Evo's, 3 of those screens are spider cracked.

Juicemane

Bang Bang
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
I think the X is overall a better device then the Evo. I like the design of the Evo better though. Hardware wise, the X is superior. They're very similar devices, if you like one, chances are you'll like the other.

alboboy10

Reaction score
No front camera but far better battery. Personally, I like the way the x looks more. And the screen of the x has better reviews. Plus swype!

OP
E

Evo4Life

Reaction score
So I take it they're pretty much the same. DX just doesn't have the front facing camera and the kickstand. I've heard the Evo is the faster device of the 2 though. Would there be any way to prove this?

dbu

Reaction score
linpack and quadrant scores consistently prove otherwise.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Linpack and quadrant scores don't mean anything. I'll take an HTC device over a Moto any day.

Sent from my Droid

Last edited by a moderator:

citronbull

Reaction score

Linpack and quadrant scores don't mean anything. I'll take an HTC device over a Moto any day.

Sent from my Droid

Some people refuse to accept the facts. Just do a youtube search on EVO vs. Droid X so you can see what other people have done regarding comparisons between the 2 phones.

B.Wallace85

Reaction score
just try Droid X,it is worth to do!

Yeah, just try it. The only difference is literally the front facing camera. I guarantee you won't be disappointed. The front facing camera thing is probably an option that excited users use for the first time and say how cool it is, only to never really use it again.

yahwarrior

Reaction score
No it's not worth trying. I have tried the X and without a doubt the Evo 4g beats the X hands down. Who in their right mind would give up video conferencing and 4g for a X? You will be sorry when LTE arrives and then you'll have to buy yet ANOTHER phone. Trust me video conferencing makes a big difference in the 2 phones and the only people who think that it doesn't are the ones who don't have it.

shinkamui

Reaction score

Sent from my Droid

Well my friend, you take your HTC device, and Ill continue to take the best devices. dancedroid

shinkamui

Reaction score
No it's not worth trying. I have tried the X and without a doubt the Evo 4g beats the X hands down. Who in their right mind would give up video conferencing and 4g for a X? You will be sorry when LTE arrives and then you'll have to buy yet ANOTHER phone. Trust me video conferencing makes a big difference in the 2 phones and the only people who think that it doesn't are the ones who don't have it.

Video Conferencing? Having to buy a new phone? If those are your only qualifying factors, then you certainly made the right choice. Most DX owners probably aren't concerned with the cost of buying a new high end phone, especially when the first LTE phones are released (crossing fingers for dual core arms!). If thats another factor for you, then jumping on sprint's fledgling wimax network also makes sense now if you happen to be in a coverage area. Sounds like the Evo is a win for you. I, however, prefer my droidX. I see that the evo can achieve reasonably decent performance now, so there isn't much point to this bicker fest.

Last edited:

Juicemane

Bang Bang
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com

Umm.. Video conferencing is a fad and will always be one. Its not new technology by any means. And using LTE as an example is weak, LTE is only going to be deployed in X amount of cities, what if he lives in an area without LTE lol. It will take well over 2 years for LTE to roll out to most areas.

Oh, and the X has a better GPU then the Evo, not to mention better build quality. Someones an Evo fanboy.

btw I like the Evo, I just happen to hate Sprints coverage where I live so I got an X :)