Flashed Codenameandroid and flashed lean kernel but not impressed with battery life

Discussion in 'Samsung Galaxy Nexus' started by bsmith0731, Jan 17, 2012.

1. bsmith0731

bsmith0731 Member

Ratings:
    +4
    Suggestions? Just want something that gives me better battery life? can that be found on this rom and kernel? do i need to change more settings?

Just not having much luck.

thinking about going a new route, but dont know where to start?

2. Creed

Creed Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I don't recall, does Codename have a power saving setting? AOKP has one and it basically turns of data and syncing when the screen is off but still checks for emails and other stuff you sync every 30 minutes (or any user defined time). It basically saves you battery without affecting your usage at all.

Also, if you are using leankernal use interactiveX as your governor as it uses hotplug which essentially turns off one of your cores when the screen is off, also saving a ton battery with only minimal lag when turning on your phone.

In my opinion the best battery life comes from franco kernal - here is a quick comparison. http://attachments.xda-developers.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=844333&d=1325825469
    Combined with the likes of AOKP, RootzBoat, or Revolution ROM great battery is very close. If features aren't your thing than bugless beast can also be a great battery saver thanks to the lean code it uses.

My 2¢.

3. bsmith0731

bsmith0731 Member

Ratings:
    +4
    Thanks for your help.

I dont see anything listed for power options.

Not sure how to use a governor??

Sent from my GalaxyNexus using DroidForums

4. Creed

Creed Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Download No Frills and set the setting called 'governor' to InteractiveX.

img.png

5. bsmith0731

bsmith0731 Member

Ratings:
    +4
  6. Creed

Creed Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Don't change either of those settings, go to the pull down menu called "Governor Performance" and select InteractiveX or Hotplug. If neither of those are available conservative is your best bet for battery life.

7. bsmith0731

bsmith0731 Member

Ratings:
    +4
    OK I will try that. Thanks Creed

Sent from my GalaxyNexus using DroidForums

8. Creed

Creed Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Not a problem, good luck! :) Remember, do not select the set on boot setting until you know it won't cause crashes. I recommend a week or so of regular use before setting on boot as one bad mishap here could put you in boot loop. Fixable but not worth the trouble.

9. BayouFlyFisher

BayouFlyFisher Rescue Squad
    Rescue Squad

Ratings:
    +17
    [FONT=&quot]As noted in a lot threads on a lot of forums, there are some phones that have a problem with the Android OS and the "Keep Awake" time. There seems to be an issue with some phones not truly going to sleep when the power button is used to turn off the screen as opposed to letting the screen turn off automatically when the screen times out. This results in a very high time in the Settings/Battery/Android OS/Keep Awake menu.

In stock form and with every rom that I have installed, my "Keep Awake" time was always about 50-60% of my total battery time. If the phone had been off charger for 8 hours, I'd have 4-6 hours of Andorid OS "Keep Awake" time. This was true even if the phone had been in my pocket unused and seems to be exacerbated by my habit of turning the screen off manually with the power button every single time. I used to never let the screen timeout.

There seems to be two "fixes" according to Franco (of kernel fame). One concerns the camera. Seems the camera is started and then turned off during startup. But in so doing, it leaves a sensor active and this prevents the phone from actually going to sleep. So he recommends starting and using the back button to go back to the home screen. The other is DRM Protected Content. He recommends this be disabled or frozen. A third, that I don't believe I recall seeing him recommend but that I have seen on his thread at XDA (down for blackout right now) is to disable Maps.

I have done all three of those and my Keep Awake time has gone from 40-50% of my total battery time down to a few percentage points. I mean if I don't use my phone it will now show less than a minute of Keep Awake time per hour.

Good luck
    [/FONT]

10. syndicate0017

syndicate0017 Silver Member

Ratings:
    +48
    Thanks for the tips Bayou. While I don't think disabling maps is a feasible solution for some, I'm going to give it a shot. If I need maps, I'll just defrost it.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

11. BayouFlyFisher

BayouFlyFisher Rescue Squad
    Rescue Squad

Ratings:
    +17
    Agree about the maps issue - that one's not for everyone.

12. syndicate0017

syndicate0017 Silver Member

Ratings:
    +48
    Wow...freezing maps has made a HUGE difference in keep awake time. I haven't even been using my phone and Android OS has dropped 8%. I had already frozen DRM content, but it didn't make the difference this step has made.

Search tags for this page
best governor leankernel
code name for lean

how to save battery with lean kernel

what is leankernel