Finally! This Iphone thing is over!!!

abe7333

Reaction score
So, I watching Hulu and noticed this commercial. It's an Onstar commercial.
Well, usually we are used to see ichones...oops! i misspelled it. Just watch the commercial and you guys will see the goodness. It's our fav DROID X. Finally! Android is coming up fast and taking over the iOS unlike anything else. We all remember that rabbit story right? lol

Comment below guys.

[video=youtube;ouB0OCFgSgM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ouB0OCFgSgM]YouTube - live On - OnStar Commercial :30[/video]

chefb

Reaction score
Big deal..I have an x...but one commercial or maybe two we should
A little bit higher

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Just something i observed over the weekend. In almost all sporting events that I had on my television (baseball/football) Verizon was pushing one phone. Not the X. Not the Droid 2. They were pushing the Incredible!

Now that may have been because of the special they had, "by an Incredible get another phone free," just surprised that there was nothing on the X or D2.

Tallica

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Just something i observed over the weekend. In almost all sporting events that I had on my television (baseball/football) Verizon was pushing one phone. Not the X. Not the Droid 2. They were pushing the Incredible!

Now that may have been because of the special they had, "by an Incredible get another phone free," just surprised that there was nothing on the X or D2.

I saw the same thing hook, commercial after commercial for the INC.

kennyc

Reaction score
So, I watching Hulu and noticed this commercial. It's an Onstar commercial.
Well, usually we are used to see ichones...oops! i misspelled it. Just watch the commercial and you guys will see the goodness. It's our fav DROID X. Finally! Android is coming up fast and taking over the iOS unlike anything else. We all remember that rabbit story right? lol

Comment below guys.

YouTube - live On - OnStar Commercial :30

Cool! More to come! :)

GeneralZod

Reaction score
The iPhone thing is over? Hold on... let me sell all that useless Apple stock.

Getting serious for a second, if iPhone does indeed come to VZW next year, as has been widely speculated, it will have a large and significant impact on Android sales. That is not a judgment of the quality of the DX or any other Android device, it's just reality.

Reaction score

Getting serious for a second, if iPhone does indeed come to VZW next year, as has been widely speculated, it will have a large and significant impact on Android sales. That is not a judgment of the quality of the DX or any other Android device, it's just reality.

How do you figure it would have significant impact on Android sales when iPhone owners are jumping over the side of the SS Apple just to have Android options which are superior to the iFail?

Your statement makes no sense when you look at market data.

GeneralZod

Reaction score
How do you figure it would have significant impact on Android sales when iPhone owners are jumping over the side of the SS Apple just to have Android options which are superior to the iFail?
Those who are switching, are typically switching for a superior network, not a superior device.

What marketing data would this be? Where can we look at a carrier, that has both options, where Android is dominating iPhone?

The following will all impact Android sales:

• VZW users eligible for a new device, who might have considered Android devices, would have an iPhone option
  • VZW users who currently have an Android device, who would have likely purchased a new Android device, would have an iPhone option
  • Disgusted AT&T customers, who might have considered Android devices, would have an iPhone option
  • Disgusted T-Mobile customers, would have considered Android devices, will now have an iPhone option
iPhone is the most wildly popular cell phone in history. To believe it wouldn't impact Android, which let's face it, would have never gained this momentum had iPhone been on VZW all these years, seems crazy.

Look, I'm not questioning that Android will march on. And I have no desire to get into a debate about device quality, feature sets, etc. All I'm saying is, the iPhone has broader appeal. Forums like these, which largely target power users, have a way of distorting perspectives. The average person, when presented with the option, is going to choose an iPhone. While a wide selection of Android devices may be a good thing for you or I, for the average person it just creates confusion.

ChadJ55

Reaction score

Let's be honets with ourselves, folks. If/when Verizon carries the iPhone, it WILL have an impact on Android sales. No question. There's no denying the fact that the iPhone is a highly regarded device and is one of the main reasons that AT&T has remained successfull. Love my X, but the iPhone is a popular and quality device. On the other hand, AT&T's service STINKS and it is widely known. So when AT&T sufferers who are loyal to the iPhone have the option to get it through Verizon, many will do it. Likewise, the iPhone is arguably less intimidating to the novice smartphone user simply because (it seems like) everyone and their mother has one and has figured out how to use it. Android, while growing faster than iPhone OS, is still a bit foreign to many people. Again, looking at the customers who are finally ready to step into their first smart phone, I think there could be a greater tendency to try the iPhone than many of the Androids if they are side by side in a Verizon store. Therefor, I do believe Android sales will be impacted. Not crushed, but they will feel it if/when iPhone comes to VZW. And I am certain that VZW's new customer growth will spike when people have the option to ditch AT&T but keep their precious iPhones.

GeneralZod

Reaction score
Android, while growing faster than iPhone OS, is still a bit foreign to many people.
All good points. However, I wanted to elaborate on this a bit.

Of course Android is growing faster. iPhone essentially had as much market share as they possibly could, being on a single carrier. Conversely, there's a myriad of Android options on all carriers. Consequently, comparing "market data" is like comparing the proverbial apples and oranges.

Reaction score
Those who are switching, are typically switching for a superior network, not a superior device.

To be honest, most users are switching for BOTH reasons. The superior device as well as the superior service.

All of my iPhone-owning friends jumped ship when the first Motorola Droid phone came out at Verizon. Their reason: A more solid phone on a more free platform. The fact that Verizon offers the better coverage was just a bonus to them and icing on the cake.

What marketing data would this be? Where can we look at a carrier, that has both options, where Android is dominating iPhone?

I guess you haven't seen the recent market reports showing the rapid decline of iPhone adoption over Android-based device adoption? It all clearly shows that people are upset with Apple not wanting to offer basic things like FREEDOM on a device you literally pay an arm and a leg for, which is limited not only in the apps APPLE decide you should and should not have, but also on hardware which is already behind the curve.

The following will all impact Android sales:

• VZW users eligible for a new device, who might have considered Android devices, would have an iPhone option
  • VZW users who currently have an Android device, who would have likely purchased a new Android device, would have an iPhone option
  • Disgusted AT&T customers, who might have considered Android devices, would have an iPhone option
  • Disgusted T-Mobile customers, would have considered Android devices, will now have an iPhone option
Point 1: Many of whom will stick with the Android devices because, frankly, they are only getting better and better as time goes by. The HTC Incredible, the Motorola Droid line, more HTC Android options coming, Motorola obviously making the improvements based on customer feedback.

It will all continue to ensure that the Android platform overtakes and remains high on the list, unless Apple can stop their iron-fist rule.

Point 2: Pretty much the same as point 1. The users are opting for the Android devices because of not only the openness of the platform, but also the fact that it is cheaper overall to have a plan for a better device running under a better OS.

Point 3: Exactly! The people who sought out Android devices will continue to upgrade to newer and newer Android-based options!

Point 4: I live with 2 T-Mobile subscribers who tell me otherwise. They tell me how they hate the lockdown of the iPhone by Apple. I mean, really? You band a calendar app and remove it remotely from user's devices because it has semi-nude pictures? Go freedom!

iPhone is the most wildly popular cell phone in history. To believe it wouldn't impact Android, which let's face it, would have never gained this momentum had iPhone been on VZW all these years, seems crazy.

It is the most wildly popular mobile phone in history. However, it is eating itself and it is showing more and more people why Apple is a bad choice with their totalitarian administration of something people pay $600 for.

However, Apple decided to lock themselves into ATT for the carrier. That forced Verizon to toss its weight behind Android and alternative device makers and this has proven to be a MASSIVE hit to not only ATT, but the Apple iPhone as well. To think otherwise just seems crazy.

Look, I'm not questioning that Android will march on. And I have no desire to get into a debate about device quality, feature sets, etc. All I'm saying is, the iPhone has broader appeal. Forums like these, which largely target power users, have a way of distorting perspectives. The average person, when presented with the option, is going to choose an iPhone. While a wide selection of Android devices may be a good thing for you or I, for the average person it just creates confusion.

I had time with an iPhone. A lot of time (it was sort of a loaner) and I can tell you that, from my view and the view of people I know, the iPhone's appeal was mostly along the lines of "wow! no other phone does this!" in most regards. Now that other phones DO do that and more, Apple is feeling the impact of its bad decisions concerning ALLOWING people to do what they want with the property they purchase.

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
For all us Android fans, just be glad iphone did a long contract or the whole game would be different.
Imagine if the razr or startac had been carrier specific.
Once iphone is available to all beyond one carrier the sheep will put a dent in Android sales
The thing, other topic kinda, that blows me away most is windows going head to head with a new os against not only iphone but the Galaxy, the new blackberry and other Android based phones after its debacle with the kin. We all knew iphone would eventually end up on verizon but who would have thought that windows would not be on verizon for its new windows phone7?
wified from my Incredible monolith using SlideIT on Tapatalk

Reaction score
Android, while growing faster than iPhone OS, is still a bit foreign to many people.
All good points. However, I wanted to elaborate on this a bit.

Of course Android is growing faster. iPhone essentially had as much market share as they possibly could, being on a single carrier. Conversely, there's a myriad of Android options on all carriers. Consequently, comparing "market data" is like comparing the proverbial apples and oranges.

So the market data, which not only shows the rate of adoption and is a decent gauge for popularity, is insignificant to you somehow?

I see...

OneTenderRebel

Silver Member
Reaction score
People always drastically over estimate the amount of people who care about having an open source phone. In fact I would venture to see the vast majority of people don't even understand the difference between open source and not. Truth of the fact is us rooters, which probably make up 1-2 % of the market are the only ones who care. People are being very naive if they think the iPhone won't impact Android sales for Verizon. That's not to say Android isn't improving all the time, clearly they are. But I still think most people would prefer the iPhone and how simple it is compared to an android phone and its learning curve. I love the Android OS because I have taken the time to learn about it and how to do some awesome stuff with my phone. Most people don't want to do that though.

sent from the great depths of my phones internet (thanks Al Gore)