Droid Commercial Thoughts

Diordna

Reaction score
Ok, for the Droid X we got this commercial:

[video=youtube;tiaRAcpIJmw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tiaRAcpIJmw&playnext_from=TL&videos=V4NrK7mDUdc"]CLICK HERE TO WATCH IT!![/video]

Thoughts?
It certainly reminds me of the Halo game at first. The whole time nothing to do with the phone, until the last (literally) second you see a quick glimpse.
I do understand what they were portraying, it's saying Droid X is here, so it was like the beginning of some apocalyptic movie before the movie goes into some calmer setting environment with the main character of that movie to first build up and set the audience in alert.
This commercial is interesting as it completely focuses on some fantasy type structure, to build up that the Droid X is coming, also allowing a cliffhanger sort of ending making it as "the beginning" for this device.
(ignore how wrong it looks when he "fists" the floating stone)

(Note that they used the same type of structure for the original Droid commercial as well, with all the Droids falling from the sky as everyone settles around it, until the very last seconds you see the Droid as it makes its trademark sound)

Second commercial is this:

[video=youtube;gOnC5chCag0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gOnC5chCag0&playnext_from=TL&videos=F00ZYqS2HJU"]CLICK HERE TO WATCH IT!![/video]

Ok now this is just plain creepy.
Funny story though, my friend was sitting in his house, it was completely dark except for the TV and silent except for the TV and this commercial came on. He said he literally got scared of it and was pretty creeped out in that bad situation. That's the reason I looked this video up because he was telling about it.

More thoughts though, it has the same "you're not going to know what this commercial is about until the very last second" to it. You see an eye looking around at different things, eye turns robotic and then flashes red and you hear the trademarked sound at the last second.
I like how they make these "different" commercials, especially about phones.

I mean, AT&T have people prancing around the world covering everything with orange sheets singing something about being beautiful [video=youtube;QddkHo1X5qY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QddkHo1X5qY"]Look Here![/video]
and Verizon has this creepy eye staring at millions of young souls waiting to harvest and feed upon.
We're awesome.

This commercial wasn't real strong though either, but that is their point and they keep to their theme. I DO have something I'd like to compare though.

In the first commercial, after he fists the floating stone and pulls his arm out, it turns all robotic as the Droid possesses him. As well as, the Droid popping out of his arm.

In the second commercial, you see his normal eye also turn robotic and then his eye flashing the droids red lights like the Droids eye everyone see's as a boot animation (stock people) giving a hint that the Droid took over that person too.

In conclusion, the message here is that the Droid is taking over. As I think, and you can probably agree.
Hope you enjoyed my little blogging here and hope everyone well!

Last edited:

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
better suited for the actual Droid X area : )

IIGood

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S6
The Droid X "eye" commercial is pretty creepy. I've seen it on TV a few times now; it kinda makes me think of that scene from Superman 3 where the woman gets pulled into the machine and turned into a robot.

I didn't see the other commercial for the X on TV at all...just online the day before launch. It is reminiscent of Halo or a similar video game.

zerosouls

Soulless Droid
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
gplus.to
I'm having a little trouble getting through this read, the analyzing of commercials as if they were well read novels is a new concept to me. I will have to differ the critique to the experts.

wishiwas

Reaction score
I think they are missing thier mark with these ads.
Old Navy and Apple could sell melted snowballs and people will go running to get them! (Hello, Im a Mac).
I love the Droid X and I am so happy its on the Verizon network. I just dont think these ads tell you a dang thing about what they are selling.
They need to focus on the size and freedom that Apple doesnt allow.
I would bust chops with funny ads showing 2 guys on a train or something. The first guy holding a Droid X and another using a iPhone holding a magnafing glass to read the text. Then the Droid X guy turns to him and says, hey, I think your holding that wrong, try this (and hands him the Droid X to try).
Just my 2 cents :)

OP
Diordna

Diordna

Reaction score
I'm having a little trouble getting through this read, the analyzing of commercials as if they were well read novels is a new concept to me. I will have to differ the critique to the experts.
Sorry!! lol I know my writing can be a little novel like haha

zerosouls

Soulless Droid
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
gplus.to
Sorry!! lol I know my writing can be a little novel like haha

lol no reason to be sorry mang

ShowTime

Reaction score
Commercials are great. Saw the first one listed for the first time a few days ago. Thought it was a movie trailer. Yes, doesn't tell you anything about the phone, but that's not what they're going for at this point. It's to create buzz, and they do just that.

OP
Diordna

Diordna

Reaction score
Commercials are great. Saw the first one listed for the first time a few days ago. Thought it was a movie trailer. Yes, doesn't tell you anything about the phone, but that's not what they're going for at this point. It's to create buzz, and they do just that.
lol, which I totally explained about in my writings haha

omnicious

Reaction score
If you've guys seen the one where they talk about the Blockbuster app and the huge screen I find that one hilarious. He decides to watch the movie on his cell phone instead of the huge LCD screen connected to what I assume is a T1 connection.

zerosouls

Soulless Droid
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
gplus.to
If you've guys seen the one where they talk about the Blockbuster app and the huge screen I find that one hilarious. He decides to watch the movie on his cell phone instead of the huge LCD screen connected to what I assume is a T1 connection.

If you have ever worked in a corporation, you'd know that their IT blocks streaming media. So watching streamed media at work with your phone makes sense... I do it all the time :p

ShowTime

Reaction score

Yea, I didn't really read it. It was too long. At this point, anything more than a few sentences gets a quick skim at best, before I form an opinion and post my thoughts/answers for all the intrawebz to read and agree with. :wacko:

OP
Diordna

Diordna

Reaction score

Yea, I didn't really read it. It was too long. At this point, anything more than a few sentences gets a quick skim at best, before I form an opinion and post my thoughts/answers for all the intrawebz to read and agree with. :wacko:
I understand haha but it was for a blog type of read, and not many people can sit and read blogs, and some people love it. So I understand where you are coming from cause I'm one of those people who can't sit and read it xD
But I think I wrote some interesting stuff I'd wish I have more people actually read it and tell me what they think about my comparisons and stuff lol