Final Render Of The Pixel Released

DroidModderX

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
google_pixel_narrow.jpg

Here it is! The photo above shows off the final design of the Google Pixel which is the smaller version of the Pixel XL. This is one of the phones that will be introduced to the world on October 4th. We know the image is legit as it comes from Evan Blass a well known technology leaker who has been deadly accurate in the past. The image shows a device very similar in form factor to the iPhone or HTC's One A9. There is plenty of bezel above and below the display. The chin of the device is not my favorite. It doesn't even house a home button. We can also see from the image there won't be two front facing speakers like we saw with the Nexus 6p. HTC may still incorporate the earpiece as a second speaker.

Known specs for the Pixel include a 5" 1080p display, Snapdragon 821 CPU, 4GB of RAM, 2770mah battery, 12mp camera, USB Type-C and Android Nougat. Apparently if you want to purchase the Pixel from a carrier you will need to do purchase the phone from Verizon. There will also be an unlocked model available on the Play Store which will work with GSM carriers. The phone is said to start out at $650. I will probably skip the Pixel and go with the Pixel XL. How about you?

via VentureBeats

kinfolk248

Reaction score
Looks like a letdown, honestly. Specs are good but Google is waffling on the hardware now seems like.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
Not at all impressed with the look. It's so bland, institutional in design, and looks like a low-cost, maintenance company issue device, or like a prepaid phone. With those huge bezels top and bottom it actually looks like it should be held sideways by both ends as a gameboy type device rather than a flagship phone. The bezels should at least be there for obvious reasons, but they're all but completely void of any hardware visible that would justify them, except for a camera.

That sensor below the speaker is very strange, wonder what it is, but what I know one thing it is...ugly. There's only one more item at top left - the camera, looking very lonely and almost as an afterthought. I don't see a flash for the front facing camera. So what is all that space for?

The bottom bezel has nothing, I mean nothing visible from the front to suggest a legitimate reason for all that space. Yeah, maybe the speaker(s) is/are on the bottom or bottom back, but put SOMETHING on the front, how bout maybe a fingerprint reader/button? No dual front-facing speaker's as was suggested to be a possibility. I don't even see a pinhole for a microphone. Big disappointment there. End of story.

There is nothing exciting about the design that would make me want to pick it up and explore its features and interfaces. If I saw it on a table I'd walk right by. I could just see it on a row of demo phones, all by itself and nobody is looking at it. The placement of the power and volume buttons are there with the purpose of being easier to reach while holding the phone. The fact is they are really too low IMHO with the bottom of the volume button actually below dead center of the phone top to bottom on the right side, and subject to accidentally being depressed while holding the phone naturally.

I sure hope there will be something more than that render in the actual production model.

Anybody else agree, disagree?

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
IMO Nexus has never been one to offer a device with any real "wow" factor to it, so this doesn't surprise me. They didn't do too bad with the Huawai branded model, but that's probably because they went with a Chinese manufacturer, so could afford to put out a more premium device. HTC had a great opportunity here and as per usual, they continue to underwhelm us.

S5 tap'n

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
IMO Nexus has never been one to offer a device with any real "wow" factor to it, so this doesn't surprise me. They didn't do too bad with the Huawai branded model, but that's probably because they went with a Chinese manufacturer, so could afford to put out a more premium device. HTC had a great opportunity here and as per usual, they continue to underwhelm us.

S5 tap'n
I agree that Nexus wasn't supposed to be a "flagship" phone, but that ^ above, is anything but a flagship. Yes, the Huawei (spelling), phone is certainly more aesthetically pleasing, and IMHO more ergonomic as well.

k1601

Reaction score
I think the best part about this phone will be that it (hopefully) reduces the cost of the 6p even farther. Unless there is something exceptional in there that's the extent of its value to me...

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
I think ya'll hate it because.... it looks like a GD iPHONE!!!! Seriously?!?!?

kinfolk248

Reaction score
I think ya'll hate it because.... it looks like a GD iPHONE!!!! Seriously?!?!?
No we 'hste' it because it's a major downgrade in design and ergonomics. I hope I am wrong and that this is the 'little' one. However if this 'little' one cost $650 then god help us what the real one costs...

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
Imagine a circular button at the bottom. It's an iPhone....

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

k1601

Reaction score
Imagine a circular button at the bottom. It's an iPhone....

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
If I wanted an iPhone I'd get an iPhone... I want an android of some type because I can get the things like shatter resistant screens, water proof, etc. I think the iPhone had the market cornered on fast devices that look good and are simple. I want something else though. Unfortunately from what we know about the pixel it doesn't have something else.

Edit: don't get me wrong the specs are good. But most any new phone this year is going to have similar specs.
Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

gadgetrants

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
I think I paid $350 last Thanksgiving for the Nexus 5X. Since I put it in a case, I didn't mind too much the Kmart plastic feel of the phone. It's otherwise been phenomenal and for sure one of best phones I've owned. Just a simple, basic git-er-done phone. But there's no way I'm paying more than $400 for the 5X's "replacement." That $650 is just unacceptable, no matter how many improvements it has over the previous year's model.

Also not happy at all with being forced to buy through Verizon. Please say it ain't so!

-Matt