Feel the need..the need for speed? Verizon Galaxy Nexus vs Droid RAZR vs HTC Rezound

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
images

"I feel the need, THE NEED FOR SPEED!" The famous meme from Top Gun has made it into the tech world once again. Since the roll-out of LTE everyone loved to download Oookala's Speed Test run their times and post them in threads. Like winning the Top Gun trophy everyone wanted to have bragging rights to the highest download/upload speeds naming their device best in class. Phone Arena has pitted Verizon's Top Gun candidates against each other in a match up of sheer LTE speed.

As everyone is probably already aware of by now the Galaxy Nexus has been hampered with connectivity and reception issues that will hopefully be addressed when Google rolls out their next update. As already reported Verizon is aware of the issue and looking into it, so here's to hoping the Nexus folks get this problem fixed.

So on with the speed tests! All three devices were tested in the same spot indoors so the playing field was level.

As you can see the HTC Rezound takes the Top Gun Trophy with an average 8.44 Mbit/s down and 3.51 Mbit/s up. The Motorola Droid RAZR comes in a close second with an average of 7.35 Mbit/s down and 3.25 Mbit/s up and the VZW Galaxy Nexus falls behind with an average 5.65 Mbit/s down and 2.43 Mbit/s up.

These tests reveal that not all 4G LTE handsets are created the same and there can only be one Top Gun. Ice Man and Hollywood (Rezound) have taken the trophy while Maverick (Droid RAZR) looks on.

Source: Phone Arena

shaun.ober

Reaction score
You need the same signal strength if you want to keep this valid.

If you look at the 4g signal strength you can see the Nexus only has one bar where the other two have like three or four. This doesn't prove anything in my mind. plus isn't Verizon currently working to fix the nexus low signal problem?

sc0rch3d

Reaction score
Galaxy Nexus in Houston LTE ftw!! (yes, that's 38 down and 16 up) i'm averaging over 15 down and 8 up regularly

Ag0o9xGCMAEWhVT.png

jayb

Reaction score
I think the test is very flawed. I have never had that bad of speeds and yes I use my phone a ton. Here are some screenshots to prove it. And my data use.

data.jpgscreen_20111220_1031.png

sc0rch3d

Reaction score
I think the test is very flawed. I have never had that bad of speeds and yes I use my phone a ton. Here are some screenshots to prove it. And my data use.

DAYYYYYYUMMMMMM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and i thot i was in the top 5% going over 5GB a month on unlimited. :D

jayb

Reaction score
DAYYYYYYUMMMMMM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and i thot i was in the top 5% going over 5GB a month on unlimited. :D

I stream Netflix about 2-3 hours a day. BTW my billing date is almost up it ends on the 22nd. Also so as I dont make anyone mad with the statement of it being " flawed " I think it really depends on where you are and what time of day you are doing the test. I for one use my phone more at night and not to much during the more peak hours during the day. I work nights and that is why mine maybe better than others in this town.

rdgxray

Reaction score
This article does a good job of explaining away all the real signal issues people are having with nexus. If it were just people unhappy with a number comparison this makes sense, but it is not. People with several phones get good reception in same location as the nexus drops calls and searches for a signal. That cannot be explained away by tests. Phone is new though and hopefully a timely patch fixes this real issue. Bionic had a similar problem and was completely labelled a lemon, but now an update has fixed most problems. If people want to cry foul about nexus issues then they are just as valid as the bionic issue reporters. Hopefully nexus isn't labelled a complete loss like bionic was. It is interesting though nexus and charge use almost same radio. I have a bionic and friend has charge and we both get similar signals everywhere we go (no unexplained drops or searching for signal with charge). Nexus has these problems though, must be something to do with ICS. I hope the nexus gets everything fixed and is best phone this year. Might have to pick one up if good reviews and a price drop happen.

Sent from my A500 using DroidForums

6bolt2g

Reaction score
+1 to flawed This test is very lacking in the details department. Also ICS is still new , tweaks have yet to be made.

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
I haven't had the Rezound since I got the Gnex, but when I did, it's data reliability and speed were head and shoulders above my Bionic and Razr at the time.

Sweettooth

Reaction score
At work here in Coppell, TX my Nexus is getting 15-22Mbps down|7-9Mbps up on average with 2-3 bars... That's already very impressive in my opinion. Can't wait for the LTE problems to get sorted out. :)

jayb

Reaction score
At work here in Coppell, TX my Nexus is getting 15-22Mbps down|7-9Mbps up on average with 2-3 bars... That's already very impressive in my opinion. Can't wait for the LTE problems to get sorted out. :)

I agree about the LTE problems. And I think no matter what phone you have that we all agree if you have 4g in your area it freaking rocks.

WythDryden

Reaction score

Posting from work in Chelsea in NYC, and this is the range I get too.

seminole1994

Reaction score
Got this speed this morn if someone has a faster one on a razr or the rezound please post ..

Screenshot_2011-12-20-12-42-34.png