Facts about tethering and throttling

Shelooga

Reaction score
the title is misleading; i have none. but i want them. facts. not opinions, not 'my friend works for verizon and says this', or i read 'here' that this is true and this isnt.

ok, ive been running around researching all day. my main goal is to find out if verizon throttles data, when, and if this is something i can avoid. now i dont tether a ton, or use large amounts of data. but i want my phone and data moving as quick as possible at all times. so if there is a restriction, id like to remove it. also, i am very interested in separating facts from fiction about throttling, tethering and the 'red flags'
is this actually capped at 5g and then big red takes notice or assigns a 'secret team' to investigate your usage? 7g? 10g? never?
I DONT WANT YOUR EXPERIENCE OR THOUGHTS, IM LOOKING FOR FACTS!
if i use 25g of data over 2 days will i receive a warning letter/email?
has anyone received such a letter and can they prove it? or has anyones account been suspended for too much data use? or does anyone on earth actually work in this 'secret team'?
so if any honest person can answer these questions confidently, please do. if youre going to pass a story or hearsay along, get bent.

see this is what happens when there are so few hacks and roms for the x; i get bored and need to do and ask things that i may never use

gotfondue

Reaction score
I have not seen any type of throttling. I work for Verizon retail side, and do not have an employee account run about 20+ gigs using my wifi tether have not had any throttling and have not heard from them about abusing it.

Droid-Xer

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
VZW wont send you a letter. The data throttling is for heavy users. Most users don't need this hack. I doubt anyone can amass 20+ gigs of data in a few days.

pyroelite

Reaction score
The only way to get primary data is to conduct your own experiment - do the throttle hack & pandora, torrent & tether your a$$ off - if you get a letter, then you can say whoops, my bad; if not, keep taxing the network to your heart's content... Then you don't have to hear someone else's he said/she said story.

from my DX (GJar 2.5)

yhwhsozo

Reaction score
What is this throttle hack?

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I wish I could say you would get some facts, but look already. These threads come up from time to time and no really info ever really gets passed around. However most the time one someone here says they work or worked for verizon the seem to be telling the truth.

I don't know if I've ever been throttled but the hack boosted my speeds and latency to numbers I have never seen, which is still only a small improvement, not worth it for an everyday average user.

HarvesterX™

Reaction score
Fact: Using your phone to access as much data as you want (50gigs if possible and you wanted) is perfectly fine with them as long as you are on an unlimited plan. The data must be being use by the phone though. Source - Verizon themselves when I called to ask as well as other Verizon employees here s well as your TOA.

Using your phone to tether data to your computer violates the TOA because you are no longer accessing the data on one device. However, tethering apps and hacks will appear as if the data is being used only by the phone (maybe jot.some obscure app over never heard of). They literally change a value in the phone's memory which makes itnall good. Search "vram tether hack" or something along those lines.

There is NO cap set to anyone on an unlimited plan and throttling is done in high density populations to ensure.there is enough bandwidth for all users on the network.

Source.: Verizon again when I called and asked because I'm about ready to shoot myself seeing these threads pop with misinformation.

Enjoy :)