1. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

Tethering: How your phone connects and facts and myths about it debate...

Discussion in 'Android General Discussions' started by Mojo, Apr 24, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mojo

Mojo New Member

I do not want to argue with people in this thread. I am really hoping the most techie of the techies reply with "smart" thoughtful answers based on facts.

So the great debate on many sites goes will you get caught and billed or canceled if you get tethering. The general concession seems to be that, yes, if caught this could happen. As many will warn about it. And to a point I do not dispute that in fact this could happen. Unlikely but possible I guess... Many point to the "Verizon Terms of Service Agreement" as a point of reference. But I rarely see some one post where it says this in the agreement. I have searched through mine and cannot find where it talks specifically about this.

So to establish the violation could some one please post this in this thread? I will continue to look but if some one knows where they are please throw it up.

Next, from my understanding based on what I have seen in (a) setting up tethering on various devices and (b) what I have seen as working as in a VZW store using their EROES system. (keep in mind there is different levels of access so I can only see what I was authorized to see).

Connecting via tethering connects to the network in a different way per say then connecting using your device browser. Correct? yes no?
    I assume it does. There is a way to see the difference in "data" usage and "tethered" usage in EROES. But if I tether my droid via WiFi tether it does not show anything under tethered usage. Only data usage. If I tether my wifes BlackBerry Storm via VZAccess Manager. Her tethered usage shows under tethered usage.

Can anyone explain how your phone connects to the networks data/internet? How does it connect when using my android browser? When I use the old method of setting up my device as a modem where it dials into #777 verses using a program like PDAnet to tether, do they "connect" in a different way? What are these differences? How is this connection seen on the "network"?

When using wireless tether is that changing the way my device is connecting to the network? How is my device connecting then sharing that connection? What is being registered on the network?

To prove and be billed for the usage there has to be some sort of separation of the usage, right? My plan is Unlimited so if I use 3 gigs or 10 gigs of service I should be covered as long as I don't tether, so if I did tether they have to show and separate what was tethered and what was not so I may be billed correctly for the charges, right? That separation would have to come by how the device is identifying how your device is connecting to the network correct?

I think if some or all of my questions can be answered we can put this debate to rest. And prove that you should be pretty safe to tether.
  2. Mojo

Mojo New Member

oh and something else I have yet to see proof of... Does anyone have a letter of cancellation from Verizon, a bill for unauthorized tethered usage overage or anything to prove of someone actually being canceled or billed for this? I don't care about eye witness accounts and stuff of this happing to someone or someones mothers brother that saw his friends wife that was told her cousins babys daddy had this happen to them. I mean real, tangible proof. :)
  3. jimnutt

jimnutt New Member

At least on the Windows mobile phones there were two network ids, one used for phone based data and one for phone as modem, ie tethering. That assumed you used Verizon's software to do the tethering and it connected with the appropriate network id. However, Android doesn't work that way (PDANet may, but I doubt it). Basically it's more accurate when tethering on Android to say you're using your phone as a router, not as a modem. All the internet traffic comes and goes through the phone's ip address and any devices connected to the phone are hidden behind NAT (Network Address Translation) and a firewall. So, there might be a way to detect routing based on traffic analysis, etc, but I doubt it would be cost effective. And looking for flash sites or even desktop web sites isn't effective, as the Android browser does a fine job with regular desktop sites and we'll be getting flash within the next 3-6 months.
  4. Mojo

Mojo New Member

Thank you! Very informative.
  5. Mojo

Mojo New Member

So basically using WiFi tethering you are not changing the connection type... and making it very hard or at least at a cost effective way to create a separation of "tethering usage" vs "data usage"

Anyone else got imput??
  6. Yodes

Yodes New Member

From what I've learned from a VZW employee friend is that with certain devices (Droid included) they can't tell a difference. He said that doesn't mean they can't find you though. Amount of data used is a big part. He said they recently caught someone tethering who was downloading a lot of movies. That's a lit of data. so when they saw his numbers they probed further and that's what they found.

He said if you're just doing browsing and stuff though he wouldn't worry about it. Take that for what its worth.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
  7. aminaked

aminaked New Member

8. jsh1120

jsh1120 New Member

Folks, it doesn't matter. Verizon doesn't have to have evidence that you are tethering your phone. They only need to decide that you aren't watching 40 movies a month on your phone. If they decide you are "abusing" the network, they are legally protected if they decide to charge you for the use. Period.
  9. aminaked

aminaked New Member

You said that in the other thread so let me repeat this:

Where do you get your information? The way you're describing it, if I rack up a lot of traffic I'll get pegged as a tetherer, even if I'm using the device as intended, say to view hi quality movies. Can that be right?

The way some people are describing it, VZ informs customers that they KNOW tethering is taking place. I think they might just be analyzing the data of heavy bandwidth users. I'm just speculating, but these things make me think that tethering software that encrypts and proxies may be the future.
  10. jroc

jroc Well-Known Member

***I am not claiming to be a 'techie', I just read alot....lol***

Ok. Mikej touched on it right here in the other thread. If anyone knows a lil something about BitTorrent, u might have heard some words like traffic shaping, throttling. Ur ISP lowers ur internet download and/or upload speed based on some things. I dont know what those things are, but ppl have gotten letters from their ISP's about a specific file they downloaded and was warned about doing it again. A few even posted the letters.

Some ppl have gotten sued for what they downloaded. Its been in the news. Well u might say 'but thats ISP's'!!! One thing we gotta remember, Verizon can be labeled an ISP because of FIOS and DSL. If Comcast and RCN (in my area, they are major traffic shapers/throttlers) can see what I'm doing dont think Verizon cant either. All it will take is for Verizon to have a pow wow with Comcast and RCN about their traffic shaping equipment.....last I heard Comcast was using something called Sandvine.

The FCC has been in Comcast face for a few years now because of this tho. The whole 'Net Neutrality" issue, traffic shaping is part of it.

Now, if u already have Internet service from Verizon, they might cant tell if you are tethering. Im guessing tho. I mean if an ISP can see a specific file you downloaded, cant they also see the device/hardware you are using? aminaked, u mentioned encryption. From what I read, if its strong enuff that should help.
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2010
  11. Phoxus

Phoxus New Member

As an Internet SERVICE provider. Verizon uses other companies like Cellnet and a few others that are the actual broadcasting ISPs. They would have to contact their sister communications site to see what they visited. Internet service providers cannot tell whether or not you're actually Tethering using a program. Due to the fact they don't have OS control on your actual phone/PC. They have your search history, download history, and visit history. They also can see what USER-Agent was used to visit those web pages. However thankfully the android operating system can view websites as other USER-Agents (xScope for example) and isn't considered a useful tool on seeing if they're tethering.

Long story short, You're perfectly safe as long as you don't (excuse my language) Rape their Internet by torrenting/etc.
  12. aminaked

aminaked New Member

No, if I use my droid to tether and download a bunch of flash files, avis, netflix streams, java applets, etc. that the droid doesn't support then they'll have a pretty good idea that I'm tethering. User agent isn't the only thing to give you away. The question is do they currently track down tetherers, not whether they can. They can unless you're tethering software uses encryption and a proxy.
  13. jroc

jroc Well-Known Member

And someone asked about the ToS from Verizon:

Customer Agreement

And further down under 'Waivers and Limitations of Liability' is where it talks about small claims courts and stuff. I think tethering can be found out if they want to.
  14. daroids

daroids New Member

So, the facts about tethering are that it's possible on android and you can do it without providers immediately trying to shut you down (or at least for some of us). The myths mentioned here are many and mostly describe verizon's or other providers' right to enforce their contracts if users attempt to tether their phones.

How much time/data can I download before my provider shuts me down or starts charging me more? Or is it special kinds of data that triggers their attention? Does anyone really know?

Even if someone has actual numbers on these thresholds, it seems to be completely possible to mask tethering usage such that you're undetectable. Wouldn't this be what most apps would want to focus on?
  15. Mojo

Mojo New Member

Thanks for posting this up.
  16. mkzbdroid

mkzbdroid New Member

I still say FAT CHANCE, I could see verizon just pushing lots of overages rather than terminating, you know big red doesnt wanna pass up a penny!!!

and correct me if im wrong but didnt google and Verizon both promote android as an OPEN platform? Class action false advertising? that would be cool :)

so lame we pay all this money for no rights what so ever!!! what ever happened to you break it you buy it, I like that policy much better
  17. jroc

jroc Well-Known Member

18. Mojo

Mojo New Member

For easier search-ability I will post those terms here.

Additional Plan Information
    Required Equipment
    NationalAccess or Mobile Broadband–capable device

Required Minimum Term, Activation Fees, and Early Termination Fee

• Month-to-month, one- or two-year contract term required per line

• Activation Fee: $35 per line

• Activation fees may vary or be waived for business customers that have a Major Account Agreement with Verizon Wireless.

• Early Termination Fee: Up to $175, or up to $350 if you purchased an advanced device, per line for one- or two-year contract terms. Customers activating on month-to-month terms are not eligible for monthly access fee discounts.

• In the Canadian Broadband and Canadian Enhanced Services Rate and Coverage Areas, usage will be charged at a rate of $0.002 per KB or $2.05 per MB.

• In the Mexican Enhanced Services Rate and Coverage Area, usage will be charged at a rate of $0.005 per KB or $5.12 per MB.

• In the Aruba, Bahamas, Barbados, Bermuda, Cayman Islands, China, Curacao, Dominican Republic, Guam, India, Israel, Jamaica, Japan, Netherland Antilles, Northern Mariana Islands, Palestinian Authority, Saipan, and South Korea, St. Maarten Enhanced Services Rate and Coverage Areas, usage will be charged at a rate of $0.02 per KB or $20.48 per MB.

You must add I-Dial to your account to roam in many destinations. To add I-Dial to your account and for more information on Wireless Data Roaming internationally, call (800) 922-0204 or visit www.verizonwireless.com/naroaming. Only select Rate and Coverage areas support EVDO.

Taxes, Surcharges, and Fees

• Taxes, surcharges, and fees, such as E911 and gross receipt charges, vary by market and as of December 1, 2009, add between 5% and 37% to your monthly access fees and airtime charges.

• Monthly Federal Universal Service Charge (varies quarterly based on FCC rate) is 14.1% on interstate and international telecom charges.

• Monthly Regulatory Charge (subject to change) is up to 2¢ per line.

• Monthly Administrative Charge (subject to change) is 6¢ per line.

• The Federal Universal Service, Regulatory, and Administrative Charges are Verizon Wireless charges, not taxes. For more details on these charges, call (888) 684-1888.

Important Customer Information
    For more information, refer to the Customer Agreement or speak with a Sales Representative. Service is subject to the Customer Agreement, which you should read before activating service. Plans not available in all areas. Credit approval required. Billing, shipping and end–user address must be within the Verizon Wireless licensed and service areas where the wireless phone number is issued.

Mobile Broadband / NationalAccess

Subject to VZAccessSM Acceptable Use Policy, available at http://www.verizonwireless.com/datausage. To make sure you have coverage in newly expanding markets, from the VZAccess Manager, go into "Options" and click "Activation," while in the National Enhanced Services Rate and Coverage Area every three months. This may alter your Rate and Coverage Area. You are responsible for maintaining virus protection when accessing service. NationalAccess/Mobile Broadband is for individual use only and is not for resale.

Charges for Quick 2 Net® or dial–up calls will be based on the cell sites used and time of day at the telephone switching office that carries your call, which may be different from the time of day shown on your device. Rates do not apply to credit card or operator–assisted Quick 2 Net or dial–up calls, which may be required in certain areas. Usage rounded up to the next full minute. Charges start when you first press CONNECT or the call connects to a network on Quick 2 Net or dial–up calls. Time may end several seconds after you press DISCONNECT or the call otherwise disconnects. For Quick 2 Net or dial–up calls, we only bill for those calls that are answered (which includes Quick 2 Net or dial–up calls answered by machines). Quick 2 Net or dial–up calls to "toll–free" numbers are toll–free; you will be billed airtime.

Data Plans and Features: Permitted Uses. You can use our Data Plans and Features for accessing the Internet and for such uses as: (i) Internet browsing; (ii) e-mail;(iii) intranet access (including accessing corporate intranets, e-mail and individual productivity applications made available by your company);(iv) uploading, downloading and streaming of audio, video and games; and (v) voice over Internet Protocol (VoIP).

Data Plans and Features: Prohibited Uses. You may not use our Data Plans and Feature for illegal purposes or purposes that infringe upon others' intellectual property rights, or in a manner that interferes with other users' service, that violates trade and economic sanctions and prohibitions as promulgated by the Departments of Commerce, Treasury or any other U.S. government agency, that interferes with network's ability to fairly allocate capacity among users, or that otherwise degrades service quality for other users. Examples of prohibited usage include: (i)server devices or host computer applications that are broadcast to multiple servers or recipients such that they could enable "bots" or similar routines (as set forth in more detail (ii) below) or otherwise denigrate network capacity or functionality; (ii)"auto-responders," "cancel-bots," or similar automated or manual routines that generate amounts of net traffic that could disrupt net user groups or e-mail use by others; (iii) generating "spam" or unsolicited commercial or bulk e-mail (or activities that facilitate the dissemination of such e-mail);(iv) any activity that adversely affects the ability of other people or systems to use either Verizon Wireless' services or the Internet-based resources of others, including the generation of dissemination of viruses, malware, or "denial of service" attacks;(v) accessing or attempting to access without authority, the information, accounts or devices of others, or to penetrate, or attempt to penetrate, Verizon Wireless' or another entity's network or systems; or (vi) running software or other devices that maintain continuous active Internet connections when a computer's connection would otherwise be idle or any "keep alive" functions, unless they adhere to Verizon Wireless' requirements for such usage, which may be changed from time to time.

Customers who do not have dedicated Mobile Broadband devices cannot tether other devices to laptops or personal computers for use as wireless modems unless they subscribe to Mobile Broadband Connect.

You may assess and monitor your own data usage during a particular billing period, including during the Return Period under your Worry Free Guarantee, by accessing My Verizon online, or by contacting Customer Service.

Approximate Data Usage Examples: Basic information and examples showing the approximate data usage for several common Internet activities appear below.

The speed of the Verizon Wireless data network is measured in Kilobits (kb) per second. However, the amount of data transmitted over the Verizon Wireless data network is measured in Kilobytes (KB), Megabytes (MB) or Gigabytes (GB).
    Examples
    Application Approximate Size
    E-mail (1 text page without attachments) 3 KB
    Word Document (5 text pages) 70 KB
    Typical Web Page lookup1 300 KB
    Low Resolution Digital Photo 500 KB
    PowerPoint Presentation (20 pages text & light graphics) 3 MB
    Note: The above examples are just estimates, based on approximate size assumptions. Actual file sizes and user experiences will vary.
    1Graphically intense pages or pages with video can exceed 3MB.

The Data Plans or Features are for individual use only and you may not offer them for resale.

We further reserve the right to take measures to protect our network and other users from harm, compromised capacity or degradation in performance. These measures may impact your service, and we reserve the right to deny, modify or terminate service, with or without notice, to anyone we believe is using Data Plans or Features in a manner that adversely impacts our network.

We may monitor your compliance, or other subscribers’ compliance, with these terms and conditions, but we will not monitor the content of your communications except as otherwise expressly permitted or required by law. See www.verizonwireless.com/privacy.

Connecticut Customers: If you have any questions about your bill or concerns about your service, please call Customer Care at: (800) 922-0204 or dial *611 from your wireless phone. If you are a Connecticut customer and we cannot resolve your issue, you have the option of contacting the Department of Public Utility Control (DPUC): Online: www.state.ct.us/dpuc Phone: (866) 381-2355; Mail: Connecticut DPUC, 10 Franklin Square, New Britain, CT 06051.

Last Update 01/21/10
  19. Mojo

Mojo New Member

I have highlighted the relevant information in bold and the part that specifically says we cannot tether in red.

So now we have real tangible proof that it is in fact against the VZW TOS agreement to tether. Now with that said, we now need to find proof of when using Tethering like WiFi tethering how they can show what is tethered usage vs. normal data usage on the device its self. Because to bill us for tethering usage they have to show that we did in fact tether.
  20. Dave12308

Dave12308 New Member

Interesting. It specifically says "wireless modems". Since the Android tethering apps don't use the device as a "wireless modem" and rather as a "wireless router" i'd be willing to bet one could argue this in court if they knew what they were doing.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
device is currently not authorized to access dial-up network

dns not verified

facts about tethering
how to fix this device is currently not authorized to access

is pdanet detectable

is pdanet detectable by verizon
pdanet connected dns 1 1
tethering facts
this device is currently not authorized to access dial-up