Existing VZW customers NOT eligible for NE2 and have the Droid?

Discussion in 'Android General Discussions' started by jefferson81, Nov 7, 2009.

1. jefferson81

jefferson81 New Member

A question for those existing VZW customers not eligible for new every 2 and purchased the droid:

did you pony up the full retail price or were you able to get a deal?
  2. flipt143

flipt143 New Member

I added a new line & paid 199 for mine.
  3. Sean

Sean New Member

i called verizon, and they said you can also opt for the annual upgrade, you should check to see what your annual upgrade date is. If you do an annual upgrade, you can then get the phone at the discounted price, and not full retail.
  4. Sean

Sean New Member

so since you added a new line you then had to pay for both lines? isnt that alot of money? lol
  5. flipt143

flipt143 New Member

9.99 a month for a line i dont need.
  6. cereal killer

cereal killer DF Administrator Staff Member

+ 1...................

Flip I was paying for VZNav so i look at it as offsetting the 9.99
  7. flipt143

flipt143 New Member

Much better than paying retail for it.
  8. New2u

New2u DF Super Moderator

After 10 months on a contract your allowed an annual upgrade. Which in effect lets you sign on for another extended year and gives you the phone for the price that a new customer would get it work.
  9. eap369

eap369 New Member

i went to my local verizon store and they actually had a promotion still going on this month where they gave me the phone at a new upgrade price. i heard them saying its called and m2 but not 100% sure. the only thing is that i had to buy the bundle package just as a way for them to get some kind of profit. i didnt mind i still got the package and can try an sell them later on. got the phone for 199 and i had just got my storm in march.
  10. jefferson81

jefferson81 New Member

lol its frustrating....if only I had known in September when I joined verizon and got a blackberry they had this The Droid coming !!
  11. RoBo92

RoBo92 New Member

LOL same here!! The 'add a new line' idea is REAL tempting. I'm trying to exercise some self-discipline (for once in my life) and wait till mid December to see what happens between now and then. Anyone else thinking along those lines?
  12. ckidwell

ckidwell New Member

I paid $155 to cancel my current line and open a new one. I figured after 12 months of service, when I can upgrade again, it would have been $120 for the additional line, plus they told me some jazz about having to upgrade to a family plan. So if it would have only been $10/month I'm only paying $35 more, just doing it up front.
  13. Sean

Sean New Member

Exactly what I was trying to say. Probably the best option IMO unless its gonna be a while for you to reach 10 months.
  14. 96accord

96accord New Member

I just bought my Curve back in May 2009 and want the droid :(

I don't know what to do. I've only had the Curve for 6 months. Damn....

My girlfriend wants to get on my account but she doesn't need the Droid... How would I work this out?
  15. Bucknell2013

Bucknell2013 New Member

I had a blackberry curve sent to me as a replacement last week...Before that, my other blackberry curve had broken twice (trackball issues). As a veteran blackberry user, I was fed up with dealing with the quality issues and I was getting a little bored with the BB OS...
    Tour or Droid?
    ...Well I'm here :)

I have the droid coming for me tomorrow, payed about 240 for it after a rebate that was NOT NE2. When you have to replace your phone in excess of 2/3 times, they will sometimes let you upgrade with a discount.

Needless to say, I am very excited!!!!
  16. keiichi25

keiichi25 New Member

Just to note something...

I got on with Verizon around 8/08, a month after the Gap Fire in Santa Barbara, which was 7/08 because the phone service I had at the time, T-Mobile, was useless during the whole power outage taking out most of the city due to the fires. Verizon's Network had a fair strong presence because the local service is mostly Verizon.

Anyways, I did a little talking with the Verizon Rep on the phone and at the store and I was eligible for an Early Upgrade. Given it was only a year and 3 months and the upgrade meter said that I was eligible for a new upgrade in March, Which is about 4 months away, and I am 3 months past the 1 year, I am pretty sure that you can get it as an early upgrade, but will have a $20 early upgrade fee at best. I renewed for 2 years and got it at the $299 (Since I bought it at the store, I have to mail in for the $100 rebate).

Now, on the flipside, I am also the manager of our current Verizon Contract for our company, with 2 people will be leaving. Given that we entered into this contract in June, that is 5 months ago, the two people leaving the company want to take their number, which means they will take financial responsibility for it. However, the contract we entered is a 2 year contract as well. When they take the number, they will inherit the 2 year contract obligation for the phone and number they have.

HOWEVER, the rep also stated, that if we do not release the phone to them, the people taking over that line can opt for a replacement phone. They would then pay for the phone at the ONE YEAR contract agreement for the reason that they are inheriting a pre-existing agreement, versus a new line of service. This means they would then be only obligated for a year with the phone they choose.

So, for the most part, I believe that part of the issue will be the time in contract that will allow a renewal/upgrade of this nature. If it is less than a year, you are not eligible to renew your contract in such a fashion.
  17. Nahmeanz

Nahmeanz New Member

Isn't adding a new line 9.99 + 29.99 for your data plan + 7.99 if you have insurance + 2.70 for surcharges and taxes = 50.67

not simply 9.99...
  18. 96accord

96accord New Member

That's what I am confused about too..... :/
  19. rlb

rlb New Member

My NE2 was up in Feb 2010. I called VZW a week before the droid release and asked if I could have an early upgrade. I mentioned I was having problems w/ my current phone (at that time, which was true BTW) and after checkign w/ a supervisor, the rep granted me an early upgrade.

FWIW I was only bumped up 4 months, been a VZW customer for 5+ years, and my account has always been in good standing.
  20. Trip

Trip New Member

Kind of...as I understand it, you can add the new line, then switch the Droid to your existing line and just not use the new one for anything.

If you want to use the new line then yes, you need all that, but you would need it on your existing line anyway if you dont have it already.