Existing VZW customers NOT eligible for NE2 and have the Droid?

keiichi25

Reaction score
Just to note something...

I got on with Verizon around 8/08, a month after the Gap Fire in Santa Barbara, which was 7/08 because the phone service I had at the time, T-Mobile, was useless during the whole power outage taking out most of the city due to the fires. Verizon's Network had a fair strong presence because the local service is mostly Verizon.

Anyways, I did a little talking with the Verizon Rep on the phone and at the store and I was eligible for an Early Upgrade. Given it was only a year and 3 months and the upgrade meter said that I was eligible for a new upgrade in March, Which is about 4 months away, and I am 3 months past the 1 year, I am pretty sure that you can get it as an early upgrade, but will have a $20 early upgrade fee at best. I renewed for 2 years and got it at the $299 (Since I bought it at the store, I have to mail in for the $100 rebate).

Now, on the flipside, I am also the manager of our current Verizon Contract for our company, with 2 people will be leaving. Given that we entered into this contract in June, that is 5 months ago, the two people leaving the company want to take their number, which means they will take financial responsibility for it. However, the contract we entered is a 2 year contract as well. When they take the number, they will inherit the 2 year contract obligation for the phone and number they have.

HOWEVER, the rep also stated, that if we do not release the phone to them, the people taking over that line can opt for a replacement phone. They would then pay for the phone at the ONE YEAR contract agreement for the reason that they are inheriting a pre-existing agreement, versus a new line of service. This means they would then be only obligated for a year with the phone they choose.

So, for the most part, I believe that part of the issue will be the time in contract that will allow a renewal/upgrade of this nature. If it is less than a year, you are not eligible to renew your contract in such a fashion.

Nahmeanz

Reaction score
Isn't adding a new line 9.99 + 29.99 for your data plan + 7.99 if you have insurance + 2.70 for surcharges and taxes = 50.67

not simply 9.99...

rlb

Reaction score
My NE2 was up in Feb 2010. I called VZW a week before the droid release and asked if I could have an early upgrade. I mentioned I was having problems w/ my current phone (at that time, which was true BTW) and after checkign w/ a supervisor, the rep granted me an early upgrade.

FWIW I was only bumped up 4 months, been a VZW customer for 5+ years, and my account has always been in good standing.

Trip

Reaction score
Isn't adding a new line 9.99 + 29.99 for your data plan + 7.99 if you have insurance + 2.70 for surcharges and taxes = 50.67

not simply 9.99...

Kind of...as I understand it, you can add the new line, then switch the Droid to your existing line and just not use the new one for anything.

If you want to use the new line then yes, you need all that, but you would need it on your existing line anyway if you dont have it already.

garrett

Silver Member
Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score

not simply 9.99...

yes and no... what you do is add a new line for 9.99 then transfer the droid to the main line and put a dumb phone on the new line so you only pay 9.99 for the new line and you get the droid at the new contract pice.

yeah its an extra 10 bucks a month on the bill but its not enough to break someone..... hopefully

Nahmeanz

Reaction score
But wouldn't Verizon require you to add a data plan whenever you open a line to buy a Droid? As I understand it, to get a new contract price you must keep a data plan on the line you're opening.

RoBo92

Reaction score
But wouldn't Verizon require you to add a data plan whenever you open a line to buy a Droid? As I understand it, to get a new contract price you must keep a data plan on the line you're opening.

Is it on the line you're opening or the line you're using the phone on? If the latter is the case, then switching it to the primary line makes sense. I was thinking of doing this too. Just wanted clarification before making the leap. :blink:

Jokool_7777

Reaction score
Yep..retail was 600. I added a line and terminated my old line(paid 130). That was still a whole lot cheaper than paying retail. I wont lie...I thought about it but decided against it.

Jokool_7777

Reaction score
******NOTIFICATION DROID MATES******

The early term fee for Verizon will be going up to 350 soon. This was confirmed in an article on Gizmodo.com so if you're thinking about terminationg a line...do it before they make the early term fee 350.

garrett

Silver Member
Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score

your only required to keep the data plan on the line that the droid is on... verizon cannot/willnot make you keep a data plan on a line that does not have a data capable phone.

HAKmaster

Reaction score
I paid $155 to cancel my current line and open a new one. I figured after 12 months of service, when I can upgrade again, it would have been $120 for the additional line, plus they told me some jazz about having to upgrade to a family plan. So if it would have only been $10/month I'm only paying $35 more, just doing it up front.
I'm thinking of doing the same thing, were you able to keep your old phone number?

medicTHREE

Reaction score
A question for those existing VZW customers not eligible for new every 2 and purchased the droid:

did you pony up the full retail price or were you able to get a deal?

After 10 months on a contract your allowed an annual upgrade. Which in effect lets you sign on for another extended year and gives you the phone for the price that a new customer would get it work.

10 months on a contract with a voice plan of 39.99 or higher.

medicTHREE

Reaction score
******NOTIFICATION DROID MATES******

The early term fee for Verizon will be going up to 350 soon. This was confirmed in an article on Gizmodo.com so if you're thinking about terminationg a line...do it before they make the early term fee 350.

November 15th is the date, and this shouldn't effect contracts signed prior to that date.