Due for upgrade: OG Droid -> to what?

htheduck

Reaction score
Hello all,

I figured besides reading all the internet reviews, I would post and solicit educated replies from fellow Droid 1 users that will and/or have upgraded.

I'm due for an upgrade: new every 2 +$50 credit; primary weekday uses are for:
-voice(75%) / data (5-10%) / texting (5%) / GPS (1%)

requirements:
-10-12 hrs battery life / one handed scrolling & dialing / good speakerphone / precise bluetooth connectivity / solid 3.5mm jack

Not fond of: physical buttons (Dx, Dx2) - but will live with it / apple products

Thanks in advance...

EFGantry

Reaction score
i'd wait for the Nexus Prime, too. supposedly it's gonna be made by Sammy and have better specs than gs2, plus ICS out of the box, LTE, and no physical buttons (they will be part of software and on the screen). rumor has it that it will be at least announced in Oct.

*4G LTE
*1 GB Ram
*Next-generation dual-core 1.2GHz or 1.5GHz CPU
*OMAP4460
*Super AMOLED HD
*720p HD Display
*1080p HD Video Capture & playback
*1 megapixel front facing camera / 5 megapixel rear camera
* Ice Cream Sandwich

i should say that nothing has been confirmed, but the timeline and specs are the latest rumors.

infinity8x3

Reaction score
I thought i would hate physical buttons to. Until I was watching movies, playing games, rough housing a little with the phone. And NOT pushing the freaking search, back, ect button on accident all the time.

I can be more hands on with the phone with physical buttons.

Last edited:

tgyberg

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2XL & Pixel C
I thought i would hate physical buttons to. Until I was watching movies, playing games, rough housing a little with the phone. And NOT pushing the freaking search, back, ect button on accident all the time.

I can be more hands on with the phone with physical buttons.

Same here. I didn't like the hard buttons at first but yea, no accidental button pressing any more!

PolyOlefin

Reaction score
Personally, I'll be ditching my Droid for the SII, August-ish. If you don't mind waiting, the Bionic comes out September-ish and you can compare reviews. If you have an abundance of patience, the Nexus Prime will probably be released for the holiday shopping season, and you can have three big contenders to pick from.

Last edited:

guidot

Developer Relations
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
D3 is a great replacement for the Droid. Don't leave it out, especially if you don't care about 4G.

OP
htheduck

htheduck

Reaction score
Let me add a few more criteria, I am a simple user:
-4g is nice, but I can wait for the country to catch up; (wifi on weekends)
-rooting is not important to me
-I want to avoid physical keyboard (D3) this time around
-size & weight: (in hand) for one handed: on/off, dialing is important, (anything 'feels' lighter than OGDroid w/case)
-front camera is not important

I'm leaning towards the X2, but bottom line is that the phone is 'oldish'-but it's ok; released in May:
-there's plenty of accessories for it: ebay, etc
-i like the camera (auto focus) functionality
-two years down the road: by then 4G is everywhere, (plenty of new hardware to choose from)

The GS2 looks nice as well...don't know anything about it yet, will do some followup. Thanks for the posts & keep them coming!

Last edited:

mikehal38

Reaction score
Out of the current 4g phones which is best? I'm a rooter and romer so I'm looking for that mostly.

Sent from my Droid X using Tapatalk

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
I figured besides reading all the internet reviews, I would post and solicit educated replies from fellow Droid 1 users that will and/or have upgraded.
Not all Droid users are identical. You need to base the devices you consider on your specific needs/wants rather than on those of other people (as with any thread asking for device selection assistance).

Battery life is heavily dependent on your specific usage no matter what device you select.

kristoff125

Reaction score
I just ordered the D3 the other day to replace my droid, the BOGO was nice since my wife's fascinate was a POS. I LOVE Samsung when it comes to TVs, but after the hell we had with the fascinate, I can't justify ever buying another Samsung phone.

As for battery, I keep a charger at home work and in my car, but I play on my phone all day.

Also, I don't think any phone really compares with the OG Droid speaker.

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
Not all Droid users are identical. You need to base the devices you consider on your specific needs/wants rather than on those of other people (as with any thread asking for device selection assistance).

Battery life is heavily dependent on your specific usage no matter what device you select.

Unless you select a TB of course...haha

mikehal38

Reaction score

Unless you select a TB of course...haha

Is the thunderbolt really that bad? I hear horror stories about it's battery life. Maybe the thunderbolt should have been named the charge...

Sent from my Droid X using Tapatalk

OP
htheduck

htheduck

Reaction score

I know, that's why I posted my usage and requirements on page #1