Due for upgrade: OG Droid -> to what?

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by htheduck, Aug 1, 2011.

1. mikehal38

mikehal38 Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Is that 4g or 3g?

Sent from my Droid X using Tapatalk

2. Barkleyfan

Barkleyfan Member

Ratings:
    +9
    My Thunderbolt? It's 4G LTE. unfortunately, we have no LTE towers in Iowa yet. Still decent phone, but not what I'd buy today. My X was superior in many ways, especially the screen. Real Gorilla Glass. Bolt, not so much. HDMI is missing here, as well as solid docks. Developers have kinda ditched the bolt now. If you find a steal on a bolt, I'd grab it, but I wouldn't get one on contract. I've seen clean bolts go as low as $150.

3. woahdroid

woahdroid Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry autcorrrect on swype. Get is what I meant to say. The screen in crystal clear and there is absolutely no lag on the device at all. It's honestly the only phone that I would think about keeping stock that's how much I like it. It is my opinion. But the open ram is by far more than any moto device. Sense is great and I don't think there has ever been a glitch in the swiping through homescreens. If 4g doesn't matter like it doesn't for me(I don't even have 4g in my area. Not even close to having it) the get the best 3g phone. It's very stable and I have had it for 2 months and I can't remember anything that I didn't like that fixed itself.

sent from my HTC Droid Incredible 2

#27 woahdroid, Aug 2, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2011
  4. mikehal38

mikehal38 Member

Ratings:
    +1
    I was asking 4g or 3g because I've heard that running the bolt in 4g you get about 4 hours of use. I've got 4g where I'm at so I'm looking for a phone that can utilize it and last a decent amount of time. I've heard the charge on 4g has good battery life.

Sent from my Droid X using Tapatalk

5. htheduck

htheduck New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Good suggestion: I'm just not techno savy for rooting, and admittedly lazy about going through with it. Although i wouldn't mind since the warranty means nothing now- I feel it's just too much of a haggle.

New hardware makes it easy & simple. Trying to imagine (as I am leaning towards) life with the DX2 or INC2 for the next TWO years...lol

6. phonetool

phonetool Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Honestly, it's not so much a "tech savvy" thing now, but yah, there is a bit of work involved in setting everything up.
    My boss has had his Droid from the early days and he's tired of it and ready for something new, but doesn't like what's out there yet. He's asked me about my Droid hot-rodding experiences (I'm no software guy, really) and I've promised to put together some options and references in one place for him. I'll probably work on that tonight. Sort of 'from a noob, for noobs' Droid 1 write up.

7. 1ceFiend

1ceFiend Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I'm still rocking the OG Droid too. Patiently waiting to see what comes and not jumping on anything yet. With this rooted, the only thing I really wish it had is a bigger screen. I'd definitely look into rooting it. It kind of opened a whole new world of fun. Even when I do find something to replace this (which will have to be spectacular, at least to me), I'll hang on to this to play around with. I'm well beyond my upgrade. I suggest patience, seems like there's a lot of new things coming. But, that is of course my opinion...

Still Rocking the OG

8. htheduck

htheduck New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I'm scaredy fraid of turning it into a brick if I attempt to root...(old school)

9. 1ceFiend

1ceFiend Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I was a little nervous at first. Rooted my first D1 over 2 years ago when it was still a new thing. Did it again when I had to get a replacement. Its so easy! Step by step directions from some smart people ;) It took longer to download what I needed, than tl actually root it. Plus, the D1 is pretty much unbrickable. Just make a backup.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums

10. htheduck

htheduck New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    ^thanks for all the rooting input. I'll admit it was scared.
    All the tutorials were somewhat straight forward (along with various YouTube vids) to assist me. I have a new found love for the speed...(stock rom).

11. phonetool

phonetool Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Cool! Congrats!
    What have you done so far?

- onDroid

12. phonetool

phonetool Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Definitely try the V6 Supercharger script.
    http://www.droidforums.net/forum/dr...tproof-launchers-fix-memory-all-androids.html

Definitely follow the pictorial tutorial that is linked in the first part of the first post in that thread. There are also some 3G scripts by the same author that are getting preliminary tests now... due for addition to the next version of the V6 Supercharger.