Dry Carbon Wrapped Moto Droid

cuskit

Reaction score
I view this as basically an aesthetic statement rather than a protective cover such as the Seidio, Gel Covers, Body Gloves etc.. Mike

Same with me. I'm just doing it because it looks cool.

-Mike
Uh Oh! Isn't this exactly how all the colorful iPhone covers started out in existence? Does this mean we have a secret desire to simulate our iPhone brethren? :icon_ devil:

Though I don't believe I've seen iPhones in Carbon Fiber yet. Tons of very bright colors for sure! mike

B

bthomp21

srt-4 ftw, haha

:p

hellz yhea!
Remodel003-2.jpg

:icon_ banana:

Love it, sexy as hell.

OP
DSCRACING

DSCRACING

Reaction score
Two weeks of hard use and shows NO signs of wear and I'm still 100% digging it! :icon_ banana:

Reaction score
Very nice job on that, man. I love how you got the diagonals to flow over the battery cover :). Lookin' sexy :)

MJ5150

Reaction score
Two weeks of hard use and shows NO signs of wear....

Right on. I'm waiting for my piece to get here so I can apply it.

So tell me....did you wrap the whole phone in one piece and then do your cut outs? I was going to do the top in one piece first, then the bottom from another piece.

-Mike

OP
DSCRACING

DSCRACING

Reaction score
Two weeks of hard use and shows NO signs of wear....

Right on. I'm waiting for my piece to get here so I can apply it.

So tell me....did you wrap the whole phone in one piece and then do your cut outs? I was going to do the top in one piece first, then the bottom from another piece.

-Mike

I cut out two pieces probably 1" to 2" inches bigger than the phone, "same size front and back" to give something to pull on. I did the back first and did center out! Using the heat gun to stretch and set. The really good stuff is very forgiving. You can pull back and reset it. Use a credit card or likeness. Then comes the tricky part finding out where to start cutting.. Be sure to press where you plan to cut down very well with.. Well I used my finger nail to get clean cuts that will not pull back off from normal use. "Tip".. Take lots of pics of the phone so you know areas that need attention, ie speaker, camera lens, front mic.. Buy a good x-acto blade dont use a normal razor.

MJ5150

Reaction score
I'm done! I did it on my first try. Below are pictures of my first attempt ever working with this vinyl. In addition to the excellent suggestions from DSCRACING, here are some of mine coming from one guy who has never done this to another....

1.) Buy an X-Acto knife with #11 blades. Your utility knife in the garage is not going to work for this.
1a. Change the blade at least once to keep it sharp.
2.) DO NOT pull on the vinyl to finish off a cut, it stretches. Make clean cuts from point A to point B and then free up a loose end and pull it off slowly.
3.) Take your time, relax. No coffee, you need steady hands.
3a. This is not for the faint hearted. You have to cut around your screen.
4.) Work in a well lit area.
5.) Keep a hair dryer handy, you will use it a lot.
5a. The vinyl cools off real quick.
5b. When you warm up a piece, hold it in place until it cools back. It will shrink up as it cools.
6.) Take good pictures of all openings BEFORE you start.
6a. I failed to do this thinking I would just remember, I didn't.
6b. Plan out the steps clearly in your mind before you start.

All in all, it took me over two hours to get all my pieces on and the cutouts done. I also wrapped the middle bezel unlike DSCRACING though. It got tedious a few times and I struggled to maintain my concentration and steady hand. I wear glasses, so focusing on those tiny cuts was difficult for me a couple times as well.

Here are pictures of the finished product. Thanks DSCRACING for the great idea...

-Mike

MJ5150

Reaction score
Oh yeah.....this barely adds any thickness to the phone. It's about the same as the screen guard material. My slider opens and closes with no problem.

-Mike

MrSHFTY

Reaction score
that looks absolutely sick! good job! i think im going to wrap my seidio just to hold me off till the real carbon fiber case is made

MJ5150

Reaction score
Oh yeah.....I have one of those dental combo tools with a pick and scaler. The scaler end works awesome for tucking the vinyl into the cracks and corners.

I also used a collar stay for other areas, and a credit card for the bigger areas to flatten out the vinyl.

-Mike