My new Carbon Fiber Driod Case!

Status
Not open for further replies.

MJ5150

Reaction score
I changed my order to go with the blue/black Kevlar. That will match better with the Gators logo.

-MIke

OP
H

Hayden

Reaction score
They look like reflections.

The one thing that scares me about this case is the speaker cutout. From first hand experience on these that long hole in the back makes the sides brittle when connecting the bottom portion of the phone. (hence another reason we value the input of you guys)

You shouldn't be scared. This case is SOLID! I have the case and i can vouch for that. Iv bought a few things from Infinity Carbon and they know what there doing. Plus almost everything i own has Carbon fiber on it. I think the full cut out for the speaker (even know the speaker is smaller than the gold area) looks better than the roundish one you make.

Looks nice, CarbonCase is going to have their hands full trying to keep up

To be honest not really. They use the same materials we do at double the cost nearly. Right now we are focused on the elimination cases. I know everybody is giving us crap for the lead time and issues, but at the same time remember. If we only did the slideout I could have easily had these done in no time.

We are keeping these cases to an affordable amount. This case is a good finish, but at the same time being a cf critic. I can see flaws most wouldnt. ;)

Im willing to pay double the cost for near perfect pieces that are in stock. They dont just make Droid cases. They have about 20 other cases on there site. Not to mention they make parts for exotic cars and motorcycles. Iv yet to find another site/manufacture that makes so many different models and custom parts. Looks like they have it down to a science. I feel like i have to defend them a little on this one. There customer service is great and quick. There carbon work is even better.

I changed my order to go with the blue/black Kevlar. That will match better with the Gators logo.

-MIke

Good choice Mike, minus the Gator part..... Jk. Im feeling the Kevlar bug. I contacted them today to see what other colors they have... They have Orange Kevlar / Carbon Fiber that would go great with my KTMs. :icon_ banana:

Here are the pics for the inside. Sorry for the delay.
1272920727-1.jpg

1272920732-1.jpg

Hayden

Carboncase

Reaction score
Now to be fair...High res shots?

Also, just as a note, they do good cf work but they have 1 fatal flaw. Epoxy. Even with the Clear(uv protected) its prone to surface scratches which eat away at the clear. Most parts this wont make a difference. (I use epoxy on car applications) and it will be just fine. What some people don't realize is epoxy will yellow in sunlight over time. As I said normal car parts its fine because nothing it touching the surface. But for a part that is under constant use daily on the surface I can't imagine that clear lasting. It would be comparable to taking a small piece of wood and hitting your car with it. (simulating the phone being put on a table repeatedly). The difference is the poly resin i use doesn't need uv coated clear to protect it from the sun. Also I came on here to get the input of you guys on these cases and I went with what the customer requested.

Btw just from those low res pics I can spot some of the same issues i get, but since my cases are critiqued under a microscope I will let the high res pics do the talking when they are posted of this case.

btw, it looks like they left out the tiny hole near the top for the mic cancellation :)

Last edited:

MJ5150

Reaction score
Mark...when you guys finally have a case worthy of selling, I'll have a look. I just ran out of patience waiting for you guys.

-Mike

Carboncase

Reaction score
And that's understandable. And by no means am I knocking these guys. I just know from previous experience.

jcardona1

Reaction score

Also, just as a note, they do good cf work but they have 1 fatal flaw. Epoxy. Even with the Clear(uv protected) its prone to surface scratches which eat away at the clear. Most parts this wont make a difference. (I use epoxy on car applications) and it will be just fine. What some people don't realize is epoxy will yellow in sunlight over time. As I said normal car parts its fine because nothing it touching the surface. But for a part that is under constant use daily on the surface I can't imagine that clear lasting. It would be comparable to taking a small piece of wood and hitting your car with it. (simulating the phone being put on a table repeatedly). The difference is the poly resin i use doesn't need uv coated clear to protect it from the sun. Also I came on here to get the input of you guys on these cases and I went with what the customer requested.

Btw just from those low res pics I can spot some of the same issues i get, but since my cases are critiqued under a microscope I will let the high res pics do the talking when they are posted of this case.

btw, it looks like they left out the tiny hole near the top for the mic cancellation :)

And to be fair, and play devils advocate, the only high res pics showing all the detail of your case came from a customer, not from you guys :)

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Carboncase

Reaction score
I agree, but there is a reason for that. I looked through their cf cases and to be honest. I saw more flaws than I had. The only difference is the company would not post high res pics of a hand made case. Even Bohemian admitted the high res pics showed flaws that are naked to the human eye. This case would be the same way i guarantee it. ;)

OP
H

Hayden

Reaction score

Also, just as a note, they do good cf work but they have 1 fatal flaw. Epoxy. Even with the Clear(uv protected) its prone to surface scratches which eat away at the clear. Most parts this wont make a difference. (I use epoxy on car applications) and it will be just fine. What some people don't realize is epoxy will yellow in sunlight over time. As I said normal car parts its fine because nothing it touching the surface. But for a part that is under constant use daily on the surface I can't imagine that clear lasting. It would be comparable to taking a small piece of wood and hitting your car with it. (simulating the phone being put on a table repeatedly). The difference is the poly resin use doesn't need uv coated clear to protect it from the sun. Also I came on here to get the input of you guys on these cases and I went with what the customer requested.

Carbon Case,
No disrespect but you may want to do some more research. I dont physically know how to make carbon Fiber but i do know what is involved in nice quality parts. You mentioned that Epoxy was not as good as Polyresin parts. Stand me if im correct, cars get the most abuse from UV Rays, Heat, road debris, etc. Why would a cell phone case be layed out in the sun all day or why would you be banging a (even at you price) $60 phone case around like a piece of wood? Your theory does not stand. Id be happy to provide proven information. Its a case and all but its no china case.

Epoxy Resin is far more superior that polyresin. You of all people should know this. Poly is much more brittle as Epoxy has some flex. Iv been around the block in the car and motorcycle world. I own a Skyline and mini of KTMS and Ducatis. All loaded with high quality carbon fiber. Every high end* carbon fiber company uses Epoxy (as it has better clarity) and clear coats each part. Its not strange that Lamborghini, Ferrari, Ducati on an on use Epoxy resin and clear coat. When you see a car with a faded hood its simply because cheap materials were used.

I agree, but there is a reason for that. I looked through their cf cases and to be honest. I saw more flaws than I had. The only difference is the company would not post high res pics of a hand made case. Even Bohemian admitted the high res pics showed flaws that are naked to the human eye. This case would be the same way i guarantee it. ;)

Its seems that you have just stepped foot into carbon fiber and you have a long way to go to get up to par with your Droid case. Everyone has already stated this. Its best you take care of your issues before picking out others. You keep saying you see flaw but yet to pick out any real concerns. As everyone knows, these are hand made by human beings not huge plastic molding machines in China. Your cases major flaws are the mounting points and structure. Tape will not dew. Anyone knows that tape will not stick well to flat black spray paint. Not to mention your cases are not even clear coated or as i know even buffed. Just my 2 cents.

Hayden

Carboncase

Reaction score
None taken Hayden,

Carbon Case,
No disrespect but you may want to do some more research. I dont physically know how to make carbon Fiber but i do know what is involved in nice quality parts. You mentioned that Epoxy was not as good as Polyresin parts. Stand me if im correct, cars get the most abuse from UV Rays, Heat, road debris, etc. Why would a cell phone case be layed out in the sun all day or why would you be banging a (even at you price) $60 phone case around like a piece of wood? Your theory does not stand. Id be happy to provide proven information. Its a case and all but its no china case.
No disrespect to you either, and thats why I will answer these questions and misconceptions. Epoxy and Poly both have the same properties when it comes to resin. To even take the info one step further, you may not be aware there are 3 types of epoxy resin for strength. Epoxy will be a bit stronger when it comes to overall part, but in this case the cell phone case is not a structural piece. It doesnt need the full cf effect (which would be dry carbon) Poly is actually better for this type of application. As I mentioned before, when it comes to car parts I do lay epoxy so I am very aware of the differences.

Cars do get UV rays from the sun and all cars have to have a uv coating in the clear. But as you mentioned why would people bang their phone around all day. I can tell you from personal experience and from research i've done, that majority of people are pretty rough with their cell phones. They toss them on tables and I'm a victim of that as well. My theory on this is to eliminate those issues before they start. You may be the exception to the rule but for the last 8 months i've been keeping mental notes on how people treat their phones.

Personally, I've tossed my phone on every counter and table i saw. I leave it outside if I'm doing something and my phone shows no signs of yellow or fading. Now their cases may be the same way, but from cf facts. That is 1 big issue I could see happening.
Epoxy Resin is far more superior that polyresin. You of all people should know this. Poly is much more brittle as Epoxy has some flex. Iv been around the block in the car and motorcycle world. I own a Skyline and mini of KTMS and Ducatis. All loaded with high quality carbon fiber. Every high end* carbon fiber company uses Epoxy (as it has better clarity) and clear coats each part. Its not strange that Lamborghini, Ferrari, Ducati on an on use Epoxy resin and clear coat. When you see a car with a faded hood its simply because cheap materials were used.
Side note before I answer this, seeing your screen name, you must be happy Hayden went to duc ;) The day he left honda was the best day for him. Now he needs to tame that thing.

Onto the question.

The cheap faded hood is exactly as i mentioned. Its because of epoxy yellowing. That is the fading effect. Most companies wouldnt clear the hood right and that causes cracks and fading. No poly hood would ever fade because poly has a uv coating in the resin (at least the poly i use). So my clear coat doesn't need any uv coating due to that.

Now with the Lambo/Ferrari thing. They use whats called preimpregnated carbon fiber, also know as dry carbon. They use an oven called an autoclave which is extremely expensive and they use a crossweaving process to make their parts. So comparing anything hand made to them is like comparing an air craft carrier to a rubber ducky.

Its seems that you have just stepped foot into carbon fiber and you have a long way to go to get up to par with your Droid case. Everyone has already stated this. Its best you take care of your issues before picking out others. You keep saying you see flaw but yet to pick out any real concerns. As everyone knows, these are hand made by human beings not huge plastic molding machines in China. Your cases major flaws are the mounting points and structure. Tape will not dew. Anyone knows that tape will not stick well to flat black spray paint. Not to mention your cases are not even clear coated or as i know even buffed. Just my 2 cents.

Hayden
The flaws I could point out are also from a critical eye. That is the same as having a surgeon watching his/her son having surgery. Personally I see things with the case I don't like. But thats my opinion and mine alone. You also have to remember, my cases are the elimination cases that have caused the issues. My slideout cases I sent out 1 and that fit the phone flawless when it left here, im not sure what happened but we are looking into it. No case will be held on by tape. Deny it all you want but pressure fit does work. My red case has been pressure fit on my g1 for 6 months now and never slides off, moves or even budges after the abuse I give it. I'm not testing out a new method. This has been proven to work. I'm not a fan of the bubbled out tabs to hold the case in place.

Maybe you haven't kept up on the thread but I've mentioned numerous times my cases are clear coated and buffed out. No case would have a mirror shine without that.

This finish would never be possible without a clear/buff

SDC10832.JPG

Last edited:

smokiedabong

Reaction score
I think you should call these guys and see if they can offer you some training in CF . They can be your masters . When you'll came up with a product at least at the same level , your criticism will be believable .

case13.jpg

case11.jpg

1272920732-1.jpg

Carboncase

Reaction score
I think you should call these guys and see if they can offer you some training in CF . They can be your masters . When you'll came up with a product at least at the same level , your criticism will be believable .
Or its believable because its true? Ive posted the pics of the inner of our cases now and its the same except they used glossy paint and put a sticker on it....

Im glad you think I know nothing about carbon fiber. I've shown you guys my car projects. But what do I know?
SDC10744.jpg

SDC10745.jpg

OP
H

Hayden

Reaction score
^^^No need for High Res pics with the Case by Case.....^^^

Carbon Case,
I could agree with you on a few thing but disagree with you on most. As a former employee for Ducati and a huge Carbon Fiber Nerd, you may want to look into some more research concerning Epoxy Resin Vs Polyester Resin. Also the ways Ferrari / Ducati / etc use Autoclaves/Prepreg, as they generally use this method on part that will take heat. For example a Heat shield/exhaust can sleeves for a 1098R or an intake manifold for a Ferrari 430. But would not be used on a front fender, body work found on the 1098R or a steering wheel for the same 430. Every OEM piece on current Ducati's are made with Epoxy Resin and clear coated.

You mentioned that Epoxy is stronger than Poly. Yet you talk about tossing your phone around and leaving it out in the sun with no care in the world. To me that contradicts what you are saying. You would rather use a cheap weaker resin on which you claim to be the most beat'n thing you own. I still have not figured you out....

In conclusion, I feel that you are threatened by a new case out. Much so that you have gone on my thread an posted pics of your "projects" and defended yourself and your "cases". At the end of the day im 100% happy with my purchase from Infinity Carbon. I purchased my 3 piece G1 case from them about a year ago. Still looks top, no yellowing, signs of wear, or any abnormalities. Thats why when i got my Droid i knew what case i would buy. Now i got one coming for my Ipad. Anyone in search for a carbon fiber case should seriously consider Infinity Carbon.

Hayden

Carboncase

Reaction score
^^^No need for High Res pics with the Case by Case.....^^^

Carbon Case,
I could agree with you on a few thing but disagree with you on most. As a former employee for Ducati and a huge Carbon Fiber Nerd, you may want to look into some more research concerning Epoxy Resin Vs Polyester Resin. Also the ways Ferrari / Ducati / etc use Autoclaves/Prepreg, as they generally use this method on part that will take heat. For example a Heat shield/exhaust can sleeves for a 1098R or an intake manifold for a Ferrari 430. But would not be used on a front fender, body work found on the 1098R or a steering wheel for the same 430. Every OEM piece on current Ducati's are made with Epoxy Resin and clear coated.

Its ok to dissagree but you just repeated basically what I said. They aren't using the same materials we use by any means.
You mentioned that Epoxy is stronger than Poly. Yet you talk about tossing your phone around and leaving it out in the sun with no care in the world. To me that contradicts what you are saying. You would rather use a cheap weaker resin on which you claim to be the most beat'n thing you own. I still have not figured you out....
Poly is not the cheaper resin, I'm not sure where your getting that from. As i said they both have their properties. Where I could lay 2 layers of epoxy, I lay 5 layers of poly because its thinner and needs more coats but dry time is much faster.

In conclusion, I feel that you are threatened by a new case out. Much so that you have gone on my thread an posted pics of your "projects" and defended yourself and your "cases". At the end of the day im 100% happy with my purchase from Infinity Carbon. I purchased my 3 piece G1 case from them about a year ago. Still looks top, no yellowing, signs of wear, or any abnormalities. Thats why when i got my Droid i knew what case i would buy. Now i got one coming for my Ipad. Anyone in search for a carbon fiber case should seriously consider Infinity Carbon.
To be honest I'm not threatened. They use the identical process I do, they just never dealt with the elimination case. If I spent this much time on the slide out case I would be light years ahead of the game that's for sure. I posted pics of my work so Smokie could see these cases are in process and that my automotive background is a true representation of my skill doing cf. I could easily jump my price to $140 a case but I'm not out to empty everybodies wallet. I want to make a nice affordable case for everybody. Now that the focus is on the slideout case I'll let the next batch of cases speak for themselves.

OP
H

Hayden

Reaction score
Agree to Disagree. BTW my Case was $99 Shipped. Not $140. Ether way im happy. Back to the real topic at hand....

Anyone else buy an Infinity Case?

Hayden

Status
Not open for further replies.