DROID X with FroYo 2.2 will be rootable

bigd73

GREAT NEWS!!!!
Birdman tweeted that FroYo will be rootable with the exploid method with just a few tweaks added. dancedroid

droidborg

Currently you have to be rooted with 2.1 before upgrading to 2.2 to keep root.

So you are saying that if you wait until your phone updates to 2.2 it then can not be rooted?

Will it update automatically to 2.2 if it is rooted or do you have to update manually at that point?

I'm new to all this and haven't tried to root my phone yet but may want to in the future as I learn more about the advantages of doing so.

I'm still at 2.1.

6thgear

i had 2.2 then downgraded back to 2.1, reason being i lost my root even when i moved superuser to xbin. wow that was a mission, damn near took all day! but im back to 2.1 rooted. cant wait for a rooted 2.2 image! this would make things so much easier

Noflex

i had 2.2 then downgraded back to 2.1, reason being i lost my root even when i moved superuser to xbin. wow that was a mission, damn near took all day! but im back to 2.1 rooted. cant wait for a rooted 2.2 image! this would make things so much easier

Did you move superuser or su? make sure its su from sbin to xbin.

rcjames

How did you down graded? I wanna go back to 2.1 and just wait until 2.2 is ready from verizon or motorola.

dfitz

How did you down graded? I wanna go back to 2.1 and just wait until 2.2 is ready from verizon or motorola.

I messed up my phone theming it after I installed froyo.

My method to go back to 2.1:

1. With the phone being turned off, start the phone in recovery (hold home button and power on the phone, then hit the search button once you see exclamation).

2. Wipe data/system reset and then wipe cache

3. Turn off the phone and now put it in bootloader mode (hold camera and volume down button while powering up)

4. While in bootloader mode, connect the phone to your computer by usb.

5. Run RSD lite and select the sbf file (will need to get rsd lite and the sbf if you don't have it)

6. Make sure the phone shows as connected in RSD lite and begin the flashing process.

7. Once the process completes and your phone reboots you should be back to 2.1 (you will have to re-root if desired)

The wait is over. I was rooted on 2.1 and followed the wrong directions when I upgraded to 2.2 so I lost root. Follow the instructions for How to root Droid 2 . It worked for me! Like I said I was rooted in 2.1 and lost it so I have no idea if it will work for someone that never had root. I followed the instuctions from post #1 and post #7. #7 makes changes to post #1 so read them both before you start. I also had to give full path to the c: drive when I did the adb push. After I finished the phone still acted as no root but after a battery pull it works now. Enjoy!

Nadious

I would like to add that I'm a complete NOOB and pretty ignorant when it comes to Droid devices. My Droid X is my first one... and I'm learning a lot. Anyways, just want to report that the link above does work. I was running the 2.2 update that was leaked (not-rooted) and have managed to root my phone for the first time.

Wifi tethering rocks my socks. :)

sheba611

The wait is over. I was rooted on 2.1 and followed the wrong directions when I upgraded to 2.2 so I lost root. Follow the instructions for How to root Droid 2 . It worked for me! Like I said I was rooted in 2.1 and lost it so I have no idea if it will work for someone that never had root. I followed the instuctions from post #1 and post #7. #7 makes changes to post #1 so read them both before you start. I also had to give full path to the c: drive when I did the adb push. After I finished the phone still acted as no root but after a battery pull it works now. Enjoy!

This method worked for me too. I was able to do adb push with Droid X in Windows Media Sync mode. Also the battery pull was necessary for the phone to recognize root.

debaucher

I also did this method and it worked without a hitch.
I was able to do it in pc mode just fine and did not even need to reboot for root to be recognized.

I used better terminal to check for su control then installed some root apps to check (wifi tether first as that is why I rooted, and then titanium)

D.

rcjames

I would like to add that I'm a complete NOOB and pretty ignorant when it comes to Droid devices. My Droid X is my first one... and I'm learning a lot. Anyways, just want to report that the link above does work. I was running the 2.2 update that was leaked (not-rooted) and have managed to root my phone for the first time.

Wifi tethering rocks my socks. :)

Yea wish that the ping wouldn't be to high when i was gaming in quake 3. over 100. I do like the speed of the net on my droid x. My phone is a bit faster then the lowiest package of dsl. Infact could compare to the att dsl pro just not for gaming. Ping to high.