DROID X with FroYo 2.2 will be rootable

Discussion in 'Droid X Hacks' started by bigd73, Aug 19, 2010.

1. bigd73

bigd73 New Member

GREAT NEWS!!!!
    Birdman tweeted that FroYo will be rootable with the exploid method with just a few tweaks added. dancedroid
  2. rydeordie

rydeordie New Member

Is 2.2 rootable yet?
  3. umx

umx New Member

my 2.2 is rooted
  4. hacku

hacku New Member

Currently you have to be rooted with 2.1 before upgrading to 2.2 to keep root.
  5. droidborg

droidborg New Member

So you are saying that if you wait until your phone updates to 2.2 it then can not be rooted?

Will it update automatically to 2.2 if it is rooted or do you have to update manually at that point?

I'm new to all this and haven't tried to root my phone yet but may want to in the future as I learn more about the advantages of doing so.

I'm still at 2.1.
  6. 6thgear

6thgear New Member

i had 2.2 then downgraded back to 2.1, reason being i lost my root even when i moved superuser to xbin. wow that was a mission, damn near took all day! but im back to 2.1 rooted. cant wait for a rooted 2.2 image! this would make things so much easier
  7. Noflex

Noflex New Member

Did you move superuser or su? make sure its su from sbin to xbin.
  8. rcjames

rcjames New Member

How did you down graded? I wanna go back to 2.1 and just wait until 2.2 is ready from verizon or motorola.
  9. dfitz

dfitz New Member

I messed up my phone theming it after I installed froyo.

My method to go back to 2.1:

1. With the phone being turned off, start the phone in recovery (hold home button and power on the phone, then hit the search button once you see exclamation).

2. Wipe data/system reset and then wipe cache

3. Turn off the phone and now put it in bootloader mode (hold camera and volume down button while powering up)

4. While in bootloader mode, connect the phone to your computer by usb.

5. Run RSD lite and select the sbf file (will need to get rsd lite and the sbf if you don't have it)

6. Make sure the phone shows as connected in RSD lite and begin the flashing process.

7. Once the process completes and your phone reboots you should be back to 2.1 (you will have to re-root if desired)
  10. speedracex

speedracex New Member

Great news, any update on this?
  11. dunefreak91910

dunefreak91910 New Member

The wait is over. I was rooted on 2.1 and followed the wrong directions when I upgraded to 2.2 so I lost root. Follow the instructions for How to root Droid 2 . It worked for me! Like I said I was rooted in 2.1 and lost it so I have no idea if it will work for someone that never had root. I followed the instuctions from post #1 and post #7. #7 makes changes to post #1 so read them both before you start. I also had to give full path to the c: drive when I did the adb push. After I finished the phone still acted as no root but after a battery pull it works now. Enjoy!
  12. Nadious

Nadious New Member

I would like to add that I'm a complete NOOB and pretty ignorant when it comes to Droid devices. My Droid X is my first one... and I'm learning a lot. Anyways, just want to report that the link above does work. I was running the 2.2 update that was leaked (not-rooted) and have managed to root my phone for the first time.

Wifi tethering rocks my socks. :)
  13. sheba611

sheba611 New Member

This method worked for me too. I was able to do adb push with Droid X in Windows Media Sync mode. Also the battery pull was necessary for the phone to recognize root.
  14. debaucher

debaucher New Member

I also did this method and it worked without a hitch.
    I was able to do it in pc mode just fine and did not even need to reboot for root to be recognized.

I used better terminal to check for su control then installed some root apps to check (wifi tether first as that is why I rooted, and then titanium)

D.
  15. rcjames

rcjames New Member

Yea wish that the ping wouldn't be to high when i was gaming in quake 3. over 100. I do like the speed of the net on my droid x. My phone is a bit faster then the lowiest package of dsl. Infact could compare to the att dsl pro just not for gaming. Ping to high.
  16. NoKz

NoKz New Member

I was able to do get my GF's DX loaded with a rooted 2.2 But it took a while. I had rooted it and downloaded the 2.2 Froyo leak w/root through RM. However, it would not install. Kept failing. So in order to get it to work, I had to do the following:

1.) SBF Recover
    2.) Install ROM Manager & DL 2.2 Rooted Rom
    3.) Move the ROM from the CWM folder to the root of the SDcard and name 'update.zip'
    4.) Rooted the phone using the Windows Program.
    5.) Use Bootstrap recovery and reboot into recovery.
    6.) Install update.zip
    7.) Reboot

After that, I had a rooted 2.2 version loaded and my GF is in love with it. Once the bootloader gets cracked, I might retire my D1. Until then, D1 is still the King.
  17. rcjames

rcjames New Member

D1 king? LOL Not king of good specs like droid x. But aye atleast you can modified more on d1.