Droid X Rooting/Custom Rom Concerns

supr2nr

Reaction score
So I'm a previous owner of the Droid 1 and loved it. Been loading ROMs on that thing for a long time. But I just upgraded to a Droid X and of course the first thing that comes to mind is rooting this thing. But I have a few concerns like most of you probably did and I just want to sort of get some opinions from everyone and some advice.

Rooting:
So rooting the device appears to be no real issue. No real concerns there.

Bootloader/Custom Roms:
My take on this since the bootloader is locked I will have to use Koush's Bootstrap to bypass it and load custom roms. Again that's no issue. But my problem comes with using the actual Bootstrap program which I haven't really seen much talk about.

1. On every restart of the device will it attempt to load into recovery or is that only if its a hard reboot (if the battery is pulled)?
2. After you load the bootstrap program will I need to download clockwork recovery app like I used to and load the newest recovery like I used to do on my original droid?
3. If I want to load a new ROM will I have to wipe/data and SBF every time before the new ROM or is the SBF only required if the device completely screws up?

I guess that's it. I'm just trying to determine if right now its more of a pain in the a** to try and load a custom rom on this thing than its worth or not.

I suppose one last question would are there other ROM's out there for the X then just the few listed on this site and if so what are some good ones to try? I'm not sure if I want to remove blur or not it seems to really slow down the system but a few of the widgets they have are nice. They just don't seem to match any of the other darker colored widgets out there.

BdROIDX99

Reaction score
Bootloader/Custom Roms:
My take on this since the bootloader is locked I will have to use Koush's Bootstrap to bypass it and load custom roms. Again that's no issue. But my problem comes with using the actual Bootstrap program which I haven't really seen much talk about.

1. On every restart of the device will it attempt to load into recovery or is that only if its a hard reboot (if the battery is pulled)?
2. After you load the bootstrap program will I need to download clockwork recovery app like I used to and load the newest recovery like I used to do on my original droid?
3. If I want to load a new ROM will I have to wipe/data and SBF every time before the new ROM or is the SBF only required if the device completely screws up?

I guess that's it. I'm just trying to determine if right now its more of a pain in the a** to try and load a custom rom on this thing than its worth or not.

Root first. Then dl koush bootstrap. ROM manager if u like. It comes in handy. There's a lot of roms and themes that are easily accessible. Bootstrap is the clockwork recovery. If I find a Rom or theme that's not in Rom manager, I dl it, use astro to move it from the dcim/downloads folder to the clockworkmod folder so I know where all my stuff is. Go to bootstrapper click bootstrap recovery, then ok when it says success! , then reboot recovery. In recovery is a good time to make a nandroid backup so u can go back. I never had a D1 so Idk if your familiar with this. After u make your back up. Repeat bootstrap steps and follow the directions from the dev concerning formatting and wiping.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

BdROIDX99

Reaction score
Oh. And if u have a nandroid you won't need to sbf if you don't like the Rom. Only when you really screw up. I have a base backup of just 2.2 ota and root. And battery pulling if powered down will only soft reboot (I believe). To manually reboot into recovery hold home + power.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

aliasxerog

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
If you pull the battery powered down it cold boots. I also if its powered down for a while it will cold reboot back up.

Sent from my DROIDX