Droid touchscreen going crazy

peacemover

Reaction score
I have a first generation Motorola Droid thru Verizon that I have absolutely loved up until now. As of a day or two ago though when I power it up, the touchscreen is often sluggish and/or unresponsive. It also now opens up apps and presses commands I did not initiate, along with rapidly zooming in and out and making the screen shaky.

This is super-annoying. I took it to my local Verizon store and they were clueless and said I'd have to send it in. I need the phone to WORK NOW.

I ordered a CPOed droid 2 that will arrive in 2-3 days, but until then what can I do to get this thing to work??

I have tried taking the battery out and restarting repeatedly. I have checked for sticky keys on the keypad- I am at wit's end.

Any brilliant trouble-shooting ideas?

This thing is acting like it's possessed and I have come to depend on it for my work e-mail, calendar, alarms, phone, music, e-reader, etc, etc. Ugh...

Thanks in advance!

BayouFlyFisher

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Have you tried a Factory Hard Reset?

[FONT=&quot]With your Motorola Droid still powered "Off," slide open the keyboard.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Press and hold the "X" button on the keyboard while pressing the "[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Power[/FONT][FONT=&quot]/Unlock" button, located next to the 3.5mm headphone jack. Continue holding down the buttons until a yellow triangle "Warning Sign" appears on the screen.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Once the yellow warning sign appears, press the physical "Volume UP" and "Camera" buttons simultaneously until a new menu appears. This may take several attempts before success.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]From the new menu that appears on-screen, go down to the "wipe data/factory reset" option using the Directional-Pad next to the keyboard, and press the "Center" button on the D-Pad to confirm.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Scroll down to the "Yes -- delete all user data" and press the "Center" button on the D-Pad once more. That's it! When your Motorola Droid is done wiping all saved applications, information, and settings, your device will be back to the factory settings.[/FONT]

azpilot

Reaction score
Both my brother and I have had this issue, take it back if under warranty, your not going to fix it. When I took mine in, the Verizon rep tried to fix it and just gave up, gave me another right there.

OP
P

peacemover

Reaction score
If I do this "factory hard reset" I will lose all my apps, data and contacts though right? I want to try to save those if I can. How about all the music and media? I have over 1000 music tracks, lots of photos and videos I want to try to save.

Have you tried a Factory Hard Reset?

[FONT=&quot]With your Motorola Droid still powered "Off," slide open the keyboard.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Press and hold the "X" button on the keyboard while pressing the "[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Power[/FONT][FONT=&quot]/Unlock" button, located next to the 3.5mm headphone jack. Continue holding down the buttons until a yellow triangle "Warning Sign" appears on the screen.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Once the yellow warning sign appears, press the physical "Volume UP" and "Camera" buttons simultaneously until a new menu appears. This may take several attempts before success.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]From the new menu that appears on-screen, go down to the "wipe data/factory reset" option using the Directional-Pad next to the keyboard, and press the "Center" button on the D-Pad to confirm.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Scroll down to the "Yes -- delete all user data" and press the "Center" button on the D-Pad once more. That's it! When your Motorola Droid is done wiping all saved applications, information, and settings, your device will be back to the factory settings.[/FONT]

BayouFlyFisher

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
If I do this "factory hard reset" I will lose all my apps, data and contacts though right? I want to try to save those if I can. How about all the music and media? I have over 1000 music tracks, lots of photos and videos I want to try to save.

Stuff on the sdcard will not be affected. As to the apps, go into menu/settings/privacy/ and check Backup My Data and Auto Restore. I've always had my apps reinstalled automatically. Occasionally one or two will be missed, but often.

BTW, I was merely suggesting the reset as something to try. I do not really think it is going to fix your phone. But it's worth a try. I think your proximity sensor is failing.

OP
P

peacemover

Reaction score
Okay. I can use the device intermittently so I guess that is just going to have to be good enough until my droid 2 arrives. Hopefully the fact that I ordered a certified pre-owned droid 2 will not be a problem. I didn't think it was worth an extra $150 to get a brand new one, when they guarantee these CPOs. I hope this is a good decision.

I think I may also try to connect it to my laptop when I get home and upload all my music tracks, media files and documents, etc.

BayouFlyFisher

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I've had a few through the years and have never had a problem. It is a pain to have deal with replacements though. But, you do what you have to do!!