[TOOLS] DROID RAZR Utility XT912 Jellybean -- Windows + Mac + Linux (All In One!)

abrown1

Reaction score
Hey guys, important question here.. I'm very new to rooting on a Droid.

I'm going to be rooting a friends Droid Razr XT912 today to get the Hotspot functionality working again (recently updated to JB)

I've downloaded and read all the data here but one thing i'm not sure about is...

Do I need to do all the steps or can I just use Step 3 (Root only)? Not looking to wipe the device or install any custom ROM's..

Thank you

Sydman

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
If you are only rooting, then step 3 is all you need. Make sure you follow the on screen prompts exactly as it says to do.

Welcome to the forum.

DonnitaMae

Reaction score
Step 3 didn't work for me after the OTA 98.72.16.en.us downloaded to my phone last night. I have done option 3 twice and Smart Actions is still at 4.2.2.4.2. I have not successfully rooted at this point. I may attempt Step 1 once I am backed up.

Sydman

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
Step 3 didn't work for me after the OTA 98.72.16.en.us downloaded to my phone last night. I have done option 3 twice and Smart Actions is still at 4.2.2.4.2. I have not successfully rooted at this point. I may attempt Step 1 once I am backed up.

My Smart Actions is the same version and it worked fine the first try.

At what point is it failing?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
Worked great for me...:)

finally rooted...always MAXXIMIZED..

Sydman

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
Worked great for me...:)

Surely my eyes are deceiving me. You finally rooted. Congrats man!

I used Root Explorer yesterday to move a MP3 into my Alarm section and renamed it to Alarm_Beep_03.ogg and now I can have an MP3 as my alarm. Can't believe that they took that simple thing away in JB from ICS.

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
Another way of moving mp3's into your alarm is to go into your phones internal storage, media, make a folder and call it ringtones...move your alarm mp3's into this folder...and poof...there ya go..

I moved all of the mp3's from my sdext into this folder...so I didn't lose or copy any mp3s

And tyvm Sydman.:)

DonnitaMae

Reaction score
My Smart Actions is the same version and it worked fine the first try.

At what point is it failing?

I have gone further since I posted. I used option 1 and then 3 and now I am rooted. But drat it all.. hotspot is being blocked in both barnacle and Foxfi/PdaNet. I read sometime this morning in a post I am trying to find again about a sql editor and commenting out the line that checks for an account. I went through this just for the hotspot.. I hope that I haven't wasted my morning and put myself through all this for nothing. I'll keep trying!

ali_298

Reaction score
OK, so this is my first time rooting. I probably made a simple beginners mistake, but when I went through the process using Terminal (I'm running on a mac) I picked my option (3), did the battery saver, it said that it was rebooting device but it never did. It just skipped right through the phases and then it said it was completed. It repeated: "LinuxMacUtility.sh: line 438: ./adb.osx: No such file or directory". What am I missing? Thanks!

So I went back and did option 1 and did a complete wipe and then did option 3. Still can't get past "waiting for device". Any suggestions?

DonnitaMae

Reaction score
I read sometime this morning in a post I am trying to find again about a sql editor and commenting out the line that checks for an account.

I didn't find the post I first saw regarding the sql edit but I did find a pretty good one. It wasn't exact but pretty close. The line to edit was different than the post said in its list of instructions. It worked though when I used the line I figured out was correct. It was line 66 for me. I changed it to "0" and rebooted. FoxFi/PdaNet worked!! When searching I also discovered that Wifi Tether For Root Users works without the sql edit. Barnacle is getting a NAT error. But I'm not going to chase it down right now.

From Post: Entitlement Hack for RAZR HD/MAXX HD XT926 Wireless & USB, ICS & JBl

Instructions provided for Entitlement Hack with SQLite:
1) Open the App drawer go into SQLite
2) Go into Apps
3) Scroll down to “Settings Storage” (com.motorola.android.providers.settings) and select.
4) Should see “settings.db” and select.
5) Should see (middle or 2nd option) settings and select it.
6) Scroll down the page and find:
On XT926 Razr/Maxx HD “67 entitlement_check 1”
On XT912 Razr/Maxx “79 entitlement_check 1”
7) Press the line to highlight the setting
8) Select the “Pen” at the top of the screen
9) Find the “value” and change to “0” and select “save”.
Once, setting has been changed and “0” is displayed in “value” setting, Reboot and enjoy!

Thanks to mattlgroff and Dan Rosenberg for getting me to root and the frosting on the cake thanks goes to the sql edit poster, KaChow!

mdavis1

Reaction score
I'm trying to install this on my Mac with OS 10.8.2. I downloaded the file and extracted the zip. When I open the terminal and type in the first command, it says (1): No such file or directory.

I've tried extracting the files again, but I still get the error. Any idea what I'm doing wrong?

s36x

Reaction score
2 questions for confirmation before I try this

I updated via the OTA last night, so I should be able to safely start with step 3 correct?

I read on another forum that my smart actions need to be "unmodified" but I actually used the Smart Actions app before. I don't anymore, the actions are disabled but does this now count as "modified"? I'm trying to avoid doing a full wipe if I can just because it's a pain. Clearly, if I have to, step 1 is there but I've never done this before and I want to make sure I'm doing everything as right as possible.

helron

Reaction score
Matt-worked like a charm! Thanks so much for providing such a great method of install and root!

I read and read and read, and decided to install Titanuim and Voodoo. Install went fine, except I constantly get notification that SU denied Voodoo. Am I doing something wrong?
I tried with USB cable, debug set. I also tried with cable and debug not selected. I tried w/o cable.
When I launch SU this is STATUS dispay:
SU app is installed
Device is rooted
Root permission is not granted.
/system supports root protection
Protected SiU copy is not available.
When I click Protect Root, it indicates it is protected.

Since I am a newbie when it comes to rooting and these apps, I am a bit lost if everything is running as should be. SU user menu seems very sparse, and I guess that's the way it should be based on what Ive read. But, why do I keep getting the Voodoo notification? I guess it has sonething to do with Titanium. Which setting should I opt for relative to Voodoo. Grant permissiona Always, or lesser options. Also, should i be using a cable when doing any of this or free-stand? Debug or not?

Titanium Status:
Root=OK
Hypershell=Yes
Fast Auto=Yes
media storage=not installed
backup dir=not available
Ency=disabled
Cloud=disabled
the current BU location /storage/sdcard01/titbackup/ cannot be accessed.

Read the Wki sites but still a bit confused. Any help or URL/VIDeo sites are appreciated.

helron

Reaction score
I installed above, and all is well. However, I am unable to run ANY Superuser/SuperSu app. They all fail. Any suggestions?

gogojons

Reaction score
I can use this method while in official android 4.0.4 with root access