Droid Razr Un-Removable battery?

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
I haven't read this entire thread, so forgive me if this has been mentioned...

But with no option to remove the battery, are all customer service / tech support requests going to be sent straight to the higher level techs? Or will they jump straight to replacing the phone when there's a problem? I'm pretty sure a battery pull is written into the bylaws for Verizon customer service and lower level techs as an automatic response/solution to most problems brought up.

Just sayin...

Venomhatch

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 6 Plus - 128GB
This isn't the first Nexus device without an SD card, and it's obviously never presented any problems for the developing community, so it doesn't bother me. 32gb is more than enough storage for me. Being that it doesn't have to access external memory for certain files, it should make thing quicker. Picture galleries for example, there's always some lag while the pictures load from the SD card.

Sent from my DROID using Tapatalk

If your Verizon, then we don't know if we are getting the 16gb or the 32gb one yet. So as I was mentioning it may not be worth it if it is only the 16gb one.

Venomhatch

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 6 Plus - 128GB
It's ok! You like what fits your needs and we like what fits our needs! I myself am not worried about removable storage! I will use the cloud service for many things! I don't really have to worry about the data usage because I have unlimited data. I won't have to worry about updates nor should I have to worry much about compatibility since nexus was designed around 4.0. Best of luck with whatever device fits your needs

Sent from my ADR6400L using DroidForums

Yeah thanks I need it.

Venomhatch

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 6 Plus - 128GB
The only main problem I see with not having removable storage is:
How are you going to get all your music, pictures, videos, etc. from your sd card from your old phone to your new phone?
Does it have an actual built in sd card or is it all onboard memory?
If it has a built in sd card i'm assuming it will mount in Windows so you can transfer files, but if it is all on board memory....?

Here at work I talked to our moto rep and he says all on board memory, nothing removable. This is the new day and age, either it will recognize it as a USB drive when plugged in or have drivers built into the phone and will transfer the drivers over to your computer so it will recognize the phone and the you should be good.

Venomhatch

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 6 Plus - 128GB
I haven't read this entire thread, so forgive me if this has been mentioned...

But with no option to remove the battery, are all customer service / tech support requests going to be sent straight to the higher level techs? Or will they jump straight to replacing the phone when there's a problem? I'm pretty sure a battery pull is written into the bylaws for Verizon customer service and lower level techs as an automatic response/solution to most problems brought up.

Just sayin...

There will be general tech support, and there will be ways to help the consumer troubleshoot issues.

geoff5093

Reaction score
I don't see the big deal with removable storage, I have never removed the SD card from my D1 or TB, I always mount it via the USB cable. I also never seem to need additional storage. Now a removable battery on the other hand is a necessity.

jcardona1

Reaction score
I don't see the big deal with removable storage, I have never removed the SD card from my D1 or TB, I always mount it via the USB cable. I also never seem to need additional storage. Now a removable battery on the other hand is a necessity.

Same here. I can't tell you the last time I removed the SD card on my D1, but I do know I remove the battery regularly. And it comes in very handy on weekends and long days when I have no access to a charger; just carry a spare battery with me. Internal storage will work just like an SD card as most folks are concerned. Hook it up to a computer via the USB cable, mount the storage partition, voila, there's your "SD card" storage. And like I mentioned earlier, files will be read much quicker, because it's all internal.

rza49311

Reaction score
Same here. I can't tell you the last time I removed the SD card on my D1, but I do know I remove the battery regularly. And it comes in very handy on weekends and long days when I have no access to a charger; just carry a spare battery with me. Internal storage will work just like an SD card as most folks are concerned. Hook it up to a computer via the USB cable, mount the storage partition, voila, there's your "SD card" storage. And like I mentioned earlier, files will be read much quicker, because it's all internal.

One of these might help you out.
Amazon.com: Duracell Instant USB Charger with Lithium ion battery / includes universal cable with USB and mini USB,: Electronics

jcardona1

Reaction score

rza49311

Reaction score
Yeah, it does both but if you end of getting the RAZR, won't be much of a choice :frown:

JoeAndDroid

Reaction score
Nexus has a removable battery.

No removable battery on the Nexus either.

I wonder what customer service will tell you what to do when you call to say the phone isn't responding..."could you remove the back cover and pull the battery for me?"

Sent from my XT862, while on the move.

JoeAndDroid

Reaction score
The other problem with these external USB chargers is the phone sees it at a charger not a battery so it runs the phone and charges the internal battery at the same time, which means you kill it rather quickly. I've used them on my MP3 player and they are in no way the same as having a spare internal battery.

That's pretty cool, but does it charge, or provide alternate power, or I'm assuming it does it simultaneously. It's a good idea, but it also means you have to walk around with that thing dangling off your phone while it charges a bit.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
The other problem with these external USB chargers is the phone sees it at a charger not a battery so it runs the phone and charges the internal battery at the same time, which means you kill it rather quickly. I've used them on my MP3 player and they are in no way the same as having a spare internal battery.

What difference does it make? You either charge the battery and use the power at the same time, or you charge and use the battery and then have to recharge again anyway...:blink:

Frankly, I'd rather be able to both run on the backup battery while charging, and then when done using it, pull it out and have a fully charged battery afterwards.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
Quasi-removeable battery on Droid RAZR!!

See:

Motorola Droid RAZR Teardown - iFixit

Granted, you don't want to use a Dozuki to open the phone (use a plastic or bakelite spudger instead and be extra careful to not break off the phalanges - tabs that hold the back on) , but once the back is removed, you pop up the Orange protector, use a T5 Torx driver to remove two screws, and the battery simply lifts out. Not exactly swap on the fly, but certainly user-serviceable for most of us geeks.

:icon_ banana:

MonkeyMouth

Reaction score
How come I have been one of the few to know that the Razr DOES have a Hard Reset feature. I'VE USED IT! If this device ever does become unresponsive (which is rare) just hold power+volume down for ten seconds and there you go. Reboot. And no data reset.

Sent from my DROID RAZR