1. You want that $100.00 in your pocket or an Amazon Fire TV don't you? Well here's the deal. With our new updated look we are in desperate need of an updated logo. The 'old' one has certainly served us well, but it's time. Find all the details here: bit.ly/1q0k6Wa
  2. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

Droid RAZR MAXX, 4.0.4 ICS (not OTA): Question: Preferred network mode?

Discussion in 'Droid RAZR' started by anthonym, Jun 29, 2012.

1. anthonym

anthonym New Member

I don't ever go outside the US, however, I do travel between areas that have 4G and areas that are still on 3G.

There are three choices under "Preferred Network Mode"; 1) Global; 2) LTE/CDMA; and 3) GSM/UMTS.

My question is this:

I don't need Global so it is currently on LTE/CDMA. Is doing that wasting battery power searching for additional signals, or should I switch it back to global as it was the default setting?

Thanks!
  2. bsweetness

bsweetness Moderator

It's not searching for any additional signals in LTE/CDMA mode, just LTE and CDMA. Global mode would presumably allow it pick up GSM signals when you're not in the U.S., so it may have an extra radio running. I say presumably on Global mode because I haven't seen any direct statement on whether already existing Verizon LTE SIM cards are capable of authenticating on a GSM network. It may require a new card for that. If a new SIM is required for GSM use, the GSM radio will be inactive, even in Global mode, since it doesn't detect a usable SIM card.

So, long story short, you're fine in LTE/CDMA mode. That's what the phone had before the ICS update anyway.
  3. anthonym

anthonym New Member

So if im in global mode, could i theoretically use gsm towers so get the best signal? Kind of a roaming scenario?
  4. bsweetness

bsweetness Moderator

No. You will not pick up a GSM signal while in the United States. Verizon disables the access to U.S. GSM carriers at the hardware level, so one of Verizon's SIM cards, or a SIM card from U.S. GSM carrier, will not work for obtaining a GSM signal.

Just for the sake of completeness, I'll say this, but it has no bearing on 99.99% of Verizon users. Occasionally, this is not the case (some people have been able to get the Bionic working on AT&T), but that's extremely rare and requires a plan on a GSM carrier. Also, with some global Verizon phones, you can get a GSM signal in the U.S. if you're roaming on a non-U.S. SIM card. But again, neither of these scenarios impact virtually all Verizon users. As far as the use of the RAZR/MAXX on Verizon goes, you won't get a GSM signal in the U.S. It's for international roaming only.
Search tags for this page

android preferred network mode

droid razr maxx preferred network mode

droid razr network mode

network mode droid razr maxx
network mode gsm/umts

preferred network mode

preferred network mode droid razr
preferred network mode global or lte

preferred network mode razr maxx

preferred network mode verizon

razr maxx network mode