Droid Razr Battery Concern

Monkeyman806

Reaction score
OK, so after pre-ordering the Droid Razr and then reading forums that list concerns I was sucked in by the
"What happens when your battery dies and can't replace it" comments. I contacted Verizon via their Chat
function on the website... I know, I know... I hate asking them questions because half the time they have
no clue what you are even talking about and we all know that Verizon Employees have no clue in general (8 out of 10).

But I asked anyways - lol and this is what she told me (hopefully she is wrong but it sounds standard).

Motorola will cover the phone for 1 year and 1 year only. This includes the battery.

If you want to be covered from months 12 - 24 on a 2 year contract you need to buy
the 1.99 per month - extended warranty plan. The other plans that cost more will cover
you as well but the cheapest way would be 1.99 per month coverage from Verizon.

She told me the other two plans as well which I think were around 5 and 7 dollars per month but cover more
than just the normal warranty. She was very slow so I don't remember the specific prices.

The warranty would need to be added within the 14 day return policy or 30 days (don't remember which as
she was the typical CS perosn with no clue and every other response was, "Well you have 14 days to return it".)

Sigh...

Will it isn't what I had hoped to hear but at least there is an option so you aren't stuck with a brick (possible) since
we can't access the battery.

Again, this is just what 1 CS person told me in a 32 minute chat session based on 1 question... thank god Verizon does't
make their own phones :blink:

RedTarget

Reaction score
This is pretty much the standard warranty policy that they have. This covers manufacturer defects and non-user created problems (drops, violent fits of rage...etc would not be covered) for the first year.

I'm not too concerned as "I Believe" that any battery issues should be covered by this. However, what concerns me is how VZW will respond to any battery related issues. If anyone has problems within the first month or so of the device being released, they may just exchange the device for a new one (depending on supply). They may point you towards the local retail store with a service department who may have the ability to replace the battery if faulty. They may also tell you that they will be sending a refurb which may or may not ship within 1-2 days.

Or... they may pull an apple and require you to send the device back in to have the battery replaced. In some ways I'd prefer this as it would be worked on by people at the factory who are well versed in the tear down procedure. Yes, I'd be out of my new device for a few days (weeks???) and will have to switch back to an older device (OG Droid). The reason I wouldn't mind this, is I would be getting my device with my settings and not a problem child that may or may not have been repaired in the refurb process. Also, I don't want my device to look like someone went at it with a butter knife to tear it apart.

Time will tell as to how they will handle any battery related issues.

Sorry if i'm not making any sense... I'm running on very little sleep with 4 cups of coffee keeping me alive at the moment! ;)

Last edited:
OP
M

Monkeyman806

Reaction score
Sorry if i'm not making any sense... I'm running on very little sleep with 4 cups of coffee keeping me alive at the moment! ;)

I hear ya and u made perfrect sense... I am in the same boat... but with only 3 cups thus far.

I just don't want to be told too bad and buy a new phone at full retail... as long as it is fixed within a week to two I would live with it
(not happy but live with it). I agree, I am one of those ppl too who want to make sure it is done right and without any additional damage
to the device.

Hope all works out but I just keep telling myself the Droid Razr isn't the first phone to have this concern and it wont be the last

Vito.a

Reaction score
All the iPhone folks tell me the non-removable battery is not a problem. Making it non-removable allows the manufaturer to form fit the battery to the case and make it larger. It also allows a better heat sink and solid wire connecters which makes it a much better design.

anhanymouse

Reaction score
Verizon has a policy with only adding the asurion insurance within the 14 day return period but legally they cannot deny you the insurance. I've had to get to corparate for them to add it but you can't file a claim until after the first 30 days.

Just an option if you are outside the warranty period and need your phone replace and can wait 30 days...

Sent from my Droid

RedTarget

Reaction score
I'm going to assume (I probably shouldn't...), But I can't see Motorola and Verizon jumping in head first with this device without some sort of plan to handle any battery issues it may have. No matter what their plan is, it probably won't be perfect nor will it satisfy everyone. Though I'm almost 100% sure that they have a plan of attack ready to go if issues arise.

Besides, in all honesty there will probably be a very low percentage of future Razr owners who will use it on a regular basis once they are eligible for yet another upgrade. By the time the battery gets to a point where the battery stops holding a charge, we will already have moved on to another device and the worlds first 7.1mm thin (at it's thinnest point) smart phone will join its predecessors and we'll be oohing and ahhing over the next greatest device to land in our hands!

c.r.ayala

Reaction score
I would HATE to send my phone in incase of any battery problems! i am most defininatly going to be rooting and customizing any of these phones i get and if for some reason it might need to be sent to verizon cuz of battery issues..well there goes the warranty! ive bootlooped my OG droid a few times...and a battery pull is NECESSARY in my opinion when rooting. that was the deal breaker for me.

DroidHoff

Reaction score
I would HATE to send my phone in incase of any battery problems! i am most defininatly going to be rooting and customizing any of these phones i get and if for some reason it might need to be sent to verizon cuz of battery issues..well there goes the warranty! ive bootlooped my OG droid a few times...and a battery pull is NECESSARY in my opinion when rooting. that was the deal breaker for me.

Here is the chat I just had with Moto about this concern:

chat_agent.png
Donna: Hi, my name is Donna. How may I help you?
chat_enduser_message.png
Andrew Lieser: I am interested in purchasing the new droid razr on vzw when it launches but I have one concern. my original droid sometimes required a battery pull to unfreeze it and with the razr not having a removable battery I was wondering if it will have a hard wired shutdown or key command to reset similar to the xoom?
chat_agent.png
Donna: I do understand your concern, Andrew.
chat_agent.png
Donna: Let me check this in our system. One moment, please.
chat_enduser_message.png
Andrew Lieser: thanks
chat_agent.png
Donna: Thank you for holding, my apologies for the delay.
chat_agent.png
Donna: There is a forced reboot option for the Droid RAZR.
chat_enduser_message.png
Andrew Lieser: okay thanks and this will simulate a battery pull?
chat_agent.png
Donna: Yes. It's equivalent to forced reboot of Motorola Xoom.
chat_enduser_message.png
Andrew Lieser: Thanks for your help!!!
chat_agent.png
Donna: You're welcome.
chat_agent.png
Donna: I hope you found our chat to be Excellent. I would request that after you click 'Hang Up', please remember to click on the 'Close' button within the chat window and take a moment to fill out a short survey to tell us how we did. It should only take about 1 minute to complete. Your responses will help us get better at serving your needs.
chat_agent.png
Donna: If you need any more information get in touch. Thanks from Motorola, bye!

That should help alleviate the bootloop concerns!

R

RETG

No, it does NOT alleviate my concerns. This forced reboot is still dependent upon the software functioning correctly. If you remember, many items without a removable battery used to have a small, recessed reset button. In most cases, this was an actual mechanical switch located in the negative circuit of the device. Pushing it in mechanically disconnected the negative circuit from a battery to the power supply of the circuit board. This was a simulated battery pull since it was mechanical and essentially removed the battery from the device.

A series of buttons to press signals the software to remove one of the battery circuits (usually negative) from the circuit board probably via a transistor. However, if the software is fubared it may not recognize the command and do a darn thing. Even if I assume that 90 percent of the time this reset option will work, there is that 10 percent out there that causes me heartburn. (My figures, not official and are probably incorrect.)

This is similar to the iPhone and I know two people who have had to take their iPhones to the Apple stores for an actual battery removal by a tech to reset the software. So it can happen to iPhones, but I will agree, it is not a common occurrence.

I have had to pull my battery a few times on my X. When I did my first phone’s GB upgrade it froze up and the only way to revive it was to pull the battery a few times and then it started to work. Since GB I have had to do it a few times. Prior to GB, I never pulled the battery.

That is a problem with the Razr. What happens with the ICS upgrade comes out and Moto screws it up like they did with the GB upgrade on the X?

The nearest Verizon store is 115 miles from my house. That Is not just a jump in the vehicle and a short drive to find a tech to pull the battery for me. Sending it back to Verizon repair for a battery pull…doesn’t sound like fun either. That means I have to keep my existing X and then activate it for a few weeks. That really sounds about as much fun as going to dinner with my ex-wife.

As for the battery's warranty. I would guess it is 1 year from activation like any other battery on any other electronic device. However, many extended warranties do not include the battery. Case in point, my HP laptop, 13 months old, with an extended warranty that is not covering the battery which failed last week. Everything else is covered, but not the battery which has me fuming and I probably can say I will never purchase a HP computer again. So with an extended Verizon warranty, people better read it and make sure the battery is covered. Because if it isn't, I will bet they will charge quite a bit to have a tech replace a custom designed Lithium Polymer battery, either at a Verizon store or when sent back to a Verizon service center.

From looking at the Razr and reading and viewing its features (like motocast, the wireless remote when connected to a TV, etc.) this phone is fantastic. If it had a battery that could be removed, I would have pre-ordered. However, due to the non-battery removal, I will wait a few months and see how it goes out there in the real world.

And during that time, I will keep an eye out on the Rezound and any other new phone that might hit in the next few months.

JohnnytheK

Reaction score
All the iPhone folks tell me the non-removable battery is not a problem. Making it non-removable allows the manufaturer to form fit the battery to the case and make it larger. It also allows a better heat sink and solid wire connecters which makes it a much better design.

Really? Apple just admitted that there was something wrong with their software and it was draining batteries in a few hours.
A update was coming and they suggested you keep it plugged in. I personally know hard core iPhone users they all have to charge at lunch.
A spare battery solves all this cheaply and simply.

gtofan350

Reaction score
Wouldn't a moto phone would be easier to replace the battery than an iPhone? I highly doubt moto would use proprietary screws (ie. pentalobe) to keep people from tampering with "their" products. Give it time, I bet a third party company will have an aftermarket battery for the Razr out before the OEM batt goes bad.

JohnnytheK

Reaction score
It's so thin what about a battery/case?

I mean you don't want to split a Razr case do you, what about the water proofing?
I always put my phones in a case so why not one with extra battery?

Last edited:

Vito.a

Reaction score
Really? Apple just admitted that there was something wrong with their software and it was draining batteries in a few hours.
A update was coming and they suggested you keep it plugged in. I personally know hard core iPhone users they all have to charge at lunch.
A spare battery solves all this cheaply and simply.

Thats not been our experience.

olc

Reaction score

Not a problem how? It powers the phone, but is costly and time consuming to replace.