Droid OS Causes Misdialed International Calls (Verizon Wireless)

OP
R

ram1728

Reaction score
Before you start the name calling I would recommend learning to read and comprehend what you've read first and "get with the program". To respond to you poorly thought out responses:

1) what if it's a live operator that you have to tell the extension to? Or what if it's a personal identifier you have to tell the operator. Ok putting in a comma works around the problem, but not really a fix
2) this is not the problem, the problem is the leading 011 that the Droid inserts.
3) Yes, I do realize that. You sarcasm is noted and not appreciated. Also, the field names are fixed and there is no way to notate which number you're calling as I have explained explicitly in earlier posts.

What's with all the excuses? I really like the Droid but I don't understand why there is such a strong denial of a problem.

OP
R

ram1728

Reaction score
The Droid shows the leading 011 in my called numbers, so it certainly appears to insert the 011. And you are saying the Droid is "confused" by simply putting text after a phone number. Doesn't seem too smart nor a great design.

Then you say, "But honestly so what if it adds the 011 before the number". So you're trying to tell me that because a phone can make international calls that it should just stick a 011 in front of the number. What??? Well if I'm trying to dial a phone that's a mile away and the Droid dials a number half way around the world, I think everyone considers that a problem. I don't know how you cannot see that.

All international phones do NOT work this way. I think I understand you now; so what you're saying is, "the Droid is a flawless design and all other phones in the past have been designed incorrectly".

The required 1 in front of the number has been around for at least 30 years; actually it is getting less and less required for domestic calls. Please get your facts straight before spouting off.

OP
R

ram1728

Reaction score
Thank you. For some reason putting a pause or "," seems to workaround this problem. Thank you to mwhartman for pointing this out.

jstafford1

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Twitter
jstaff79
Ok this will be a warning and last remark on this. No more name calling or disrespect. Anymore issues like this here and this thread will be closed.

ram1728 I am sorry for your problem. There is nothing to do with it other than either add commas to your contacts or get another phone. The way you've been doing things seems odd and that's where we are having difficulties with it. I understand your point of view and later tonight I can get a screenshot of the contacts area to show you where to note different things. I am running a ROM that is not stock at the momment so would have to switch. It would mean alot of editing, so either way I think adding the commas is your best bet.

killuhjason

Reaction score
I am completely missing the reasoning behind the letters after the number...

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums App

I dont even see how he added letters to the number, I just tried making a contact on my D1, and it doesnt give any option whatsoever to add letters.

OP
R

ram1728

Reaction score
Thank you! You have been extremely helpful. I'm happy that this Android issue / bug/ problem is out there in a public forum and hopefully someone at Google or Verizon Wireless will take notice. This is a complicated device and I expect some problems to pop up; and hopefully get fixed. Overall it's a fantastic phone with a few bugs work out. I will check out the website / email address and see what happens. Thanks again.

jandvkelly

Reaction score
Droid mis-dialing

To my untrained eye it would appear that the mis-dialing only occurs when using Verizon in my VZ droid. When I select Google Voice to complete the call on my droid, "011" is not inserted.

This issue only started to occur after I loaded Google Voice.

eyom

Reaction score
same problem..

I'm having the same problem. In my blackberry I had numbers in the format +1 (917) 111-1222 so the phone was smart enough to know if it were domestic vs international. But after transferring the numbers it seems like 15% of the numbers in my address book is dialing 011**********. Did anyone figure out this problem? I'm wondering why some numbers dial normally while others dial 011****** when they are in the same format and area code
...? Doesn't make sense... Seems like the only temp fix is to go through my 450 contacts and change everyone to (***) ***-**** to not dial international... There has to be a fix.... Anyone?

Last edited:

Juicemane

Bang Bang
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
This is not a bug, rather user input error. You can easily fix your contacts via a spread sheet, go to www.google.com/contacts and export them in CSV format. Open MS Excel and format the column with the phone numbers, then import the new CSV into Google contacts. It will take you 10 minutes to fix all of them and you will never have to deal with it again. Also, you can block international calling via VZW by calling them... Unless you call international on your cell? Which again is user error (google voice is much cheaper or any VOIP solution)

Just fix your contact list and be done with it, I dont think anyone else has this issue or honestly expects Google to fix it. Also, its not "Droid" its "android" for the OS, Droid is a branding scheme used by Verizon.

Just fix your contacts and be done with it, I promise you, you will get nothing but annoyed if you continue trying to resolve this "bug".

just my .02

eyom

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure it's not user error... exporting to a csv file will not fix the problem because this is what i've tried...

I had a number +1 (201) xxx-xxxx and when hitting send, I see it says 0111201xxxxxxx. so i would go and take out the + and it would dial as 1201xxxxxxx. then when i go and reinsert the + again, it would dial 0111201xxxxxxx... but i have another number with +1 (201) yyy-yyyy and it would dial as +1 (201) yyy-yyyy... same format, just a different number. I've even deleted the entry itself and entered in brand new. Maybe it's certain numbers that's seen as an international format? I'm not sure...

I also have google voice which i use for international calling, and when i had my blackberry, i never had a problem-both for google voice and non-google voice. only problem is that it's not dialing with my cell number but with my google number.

stepp24

Reaction score
Hope this helps

I am not sure if your problem is EXACTLY the same. However my phone had an issue where it would add numbers to contacts that were on the phone whether dialed or through the contact app. If I dialed a number that was not stored as a contact it would not add the digits. The fix is actually really simple.
home screen > Menu > Settings > Call > Assisted Dialing > Menu > Edit > go to the national number length where it says 10 and change it to 7 > save > done

this should fix the problem.

eyom

Reaction score
nope... problem still there...

I tried +1 (917) 697-xxxx and it's fine, but with +1 (917) 693-yyyy it doesn't work... it still does the 0111917693yyyy thing. i'm not sure why it does the 011 with some numbers but not the other ones. It's weird....

sidswami

Reaction score
011 still a problem

Any solutions to avoid 011 being added to contacts when dialled?

I am from India, using the Bionic on Reliance CDMA. Bionic is running on ICS 4.0.4 Build 6.7.2-223

1. The current country in Assited dialing is set to US and is greyed out - cannot change ; any way this could be altered?
2. Switching ON/OFF the assited dialing is not helping.
3. Reference country changed to India - not helping.
4. Updated the National number length to 7 - not helping.
5. Changing the IDD does not seem to have an effect on the 011 being added to the numbers.

The only working solution is remove the country code +91 (India code) and just save the 10 digit numbers. But do not want to do this as STD (outstation) numbers will not work without +91. Do not want to add 0 in front of numbers either.

Any possible solution? Sorry if this has been answered - I have tried to google a solution but none of the above seem to fix the issue.

Thanks,
Sid.