Issues sending text messages to "+1" numbers

newtech

Reaction score
Google is usually pretty responsive considering the Android is a free open source platform.
DroidForum members are also usually pretty responsive and helpful. I have notice that the Droid 2 Global is not such a popular device so maybe out of the number of reads maybe no had a solution to suggest.

I have the same problem with my Droid 2 Global. Just got off the phone with Verizon Support and they have it listed as a problem but have no time frame for a fix. I am now trying to track down a manageable work around. With literally several hundred international numbers in my contact list this is a real problem.

pbrunson

Reaction score
I still have that issue also by the way facebook numbers have the +1 issue. Verizon does not have a clue.

lostboiwonder

Reaction score
I have the same problem with my Droid 2 Global... the text not being able to send/receive. I tried all the possible fixes listed here like +1 and using other apps and it still doesn't work.

I did switch my account to use my other droid phone I have.. samsung fascinate and the text was sent and received fine.

Now switched back to my D2G, reset everything and not even syncing any accounts or apps or contacts so that it's absolutely factory condition and it's still not sending/receiving texts.

Blah, so back to my samsung for now, gonna try verizon again and also motorola tomorrow to see what they have to say about this.

dmoyamendez

Reaction score
I am having the same problem with my droid about the facebook number thing... except even though i added a new number for the contact to text them, whenever they reply it adds the +1 back to their number so i can't reply then. So basically anytime i want to send a text back i have to start a new message, and even then sometimes is doesn't work! sucks....

zionvier

Reaction score
I have the Droid X with Verizon and have the same issue. Mainly the annoyance of not being able to reply directly to anyone who's number is in my phone from facebook.

The Receptionist

Reaction score
Verizon Texting Droid Bullcrap

Mine also does this. I bought my phone December of 2010, and there has yet to be a fix. I have the Droid X with Verizon. Does anybody know of any app that will fix this, for a rooted phone? And I don't mean another Sms thing. I mean a legit app that will make the stock Sms work right. It is serious bullcrap to have to go and add a number for every person I want to text when I have there number already in my phone. Please help.

Last edited:

crwys

Reaction score
I am having the same problem as well on my Droid X. Wish this would get fixed, it is really annoying.

cfoster

Reaction score
It has to do with facebook i've figured out. If you have synced all your contacts to their facebook accounts they will sync the numbers as well and facebook automatically puts a 1 in front of any number. For me this didn't become an issue for my Droid incredible 2 until the most recent update but i'm not sure if that is the case with everyone else. This is such an annoying issue and i'm hoping it will get fixed soon.

diepyman

Reaction score
I fixed mine

I was having problems sending text messages with facebook synced contacts because of the +1 prefix. I tried to override the facebook number with the google number I added manually, but every time, the facebook number overrode the google number. (each number was the same besides the +1). What I did to make the texting app start using the number without the +1 was to create a new text message. Start typing in the number of your contact without the +1 and then select the contact when it shows up in the auto search. The texting app now will take the number you started typing in without the +1. Hopefully it will stay like this.... and, yes, the text message then went threw without any problems...

claycourtdad

Reaction score
Spoke to Verizon and MOT and have trouble tic in w/ FBook

I spoke with Mot level 2. Verizon has no clue. People in this thread have correctly identified the issue. When someone enters their phone number in their FB profile, it defaults with a +1 for USA (or +country code for another country). The problem is that Verizon at least cannot handle a +1 when dialing therefore, if your you are using the phone number in your contact list linked to FB, it wont dial. Furthermore, at least on my DX, the contact defaults to the FB number. For example, I have a mobile number entered in my outlook for Joe but since Joe entered a mobile number in his FB profile, the DX contact is defaulting to the FB mobile number. The ONLY work around at this point is to enter the mobile number on your droid but categorize it as 'home' or 'pager'. NOTE: you can't categorize it as 'work mobile' because it will still default to FB mobile. Mot Level 2 said this was the first time they heard about it.

ell_wood

Reaction score
I have a Dorid3, on verizon, and recently moved from Blackberry, I hate it. The same problem exists. I store all my numbers with the + and country code prefix. I have assisted dialing turned off and I do not use or have any thing from facebook installed. Are there 3rd party SMS apps that will resolve this? I do not text a lot but it is really annoying.

saricmu

Reaction score
+1 Prefix Issues With Texting - Server Rather Than Phone Issue?

I have a standard (unrooted) Droid X on the Verizon network. I sync my phone contacts with Microsoft Outlook on my desktop. In Outlook, all US phone numbers are formatted with the +1 prefix.

As I travel across the United States I am intermittently unable to send text to +1 formatted phone numbers.

If I am in New York City, I have no problem sending texts to +1 formatted numbers. However, I recently traveled to Colorado and New Mexico and even though I was on the Verizon network (not roaming), I was unable to send texts to +1 formatted phone numbers. The texts would go through as soon I removed the "+" sign from the number. When I got back to New York City, texting to +1 formatted numbers again worked without any problems.

So it seems to me that the issue is neither with the Droid X phone nor the Android version but rather with the way phone interacts with the Verizon network. Based on my experience, I suspect that Verizon servers respond differently to +1 formatted numbers in different parts of the country.

nl1959

Reaction score
I'm calling Verizon to complain as well. I couldn't figure out why I was sometimes getting the failure. Finally found this forum and thanks for the help. It does appear to be linked to Facebook which pulled in the +1 number.

wwdroid

Reaction score
I have a Droid 2 Global that I recently transferred to from a global Blackberry. Since I periodically travel internationally, I always program my contacts with the country code prefix (ie +1 for all US numbers) in case I decide to purchase a local sim chip I can still call all my contacts without changing the dialing scheme. The problem I have noticed is I cannot send a text message to any contact as long as the +1 is before their area code.

I have the same exact problem.

Both my wife and I have Droid 2 Global's (but I think the problem is NOT Droid-2-Global specific)...

Just a few days ago, my texts to my wife started failing...searched around the web and found a note saying that since FACEBOOK automatically adds the "1" in front of U.S. phone numbers in a person's contact info (there is no way I can see to edit my wife's mobile number to delete the "1"), and since (if selected), a person's contacts are synced with Facebook, that any contact a person tries to text who is also a Facebook contact, will fail.

I can text my wife just fine using her 7-digit phone number and her 10-digit phone number, but NOT her 10-digit number with the preceding "1".

I don't use Facebook much, but I really don't want to turn Facebook contact syncing OFF.

This leads to another question....

Since my wife did not edit her Facebook contact info to include the preceding "1" in the last few days, did Facebook just in the last few days start automatically adding that "1"?

And...I hope Verizon is on the case to fix this.