Droid OS Causes Misdialed International Calls (Verizon Wireless)

Discussion in 'Android Support' started by ram1728, Dec 2, 2010.

1. ram1728

ram1728 New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    The problem is not the dialing of the extra digits at the end of the phone number. The problem is that Droid inserts a 011 prior to dialing the local number. so (760)555-1212 LA becomes an international call to Russia.

2. skaferret

skaferret New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    1) when you use an extension in a phone number, you're supposed to use a pause. Not letters.

2)using calling cards with pauses and pin numbers/letters, is just that. using pauses, and they give you a prompt when to enter in the letters. All the droid is doing is converting the letter to its corresponding number on the dialpad.

3) to keep track of certain numbers/multiple numbers for a certain contact. - you do realize that every phone that has been for sale on the market in the..oh say past 7 years has had the ability to keep track of multiple numbers under one contact? You can usually also assign a default number for that contact as well.

The android operating system is for a smart phone. And all your phone is doing is just that, being smart. It technically doesn't have to add the 011 in front of the number your dialing, because you're dialing it from within the country. When you add extra characters to that number that are converted into numbers by the phone, it just so happened by random chance that the entire string of numbers ended up sending you to a block in Russia. It could have very well been another country.

I don't feel this is a design flaw or serious bug at all. I think you're just experiencing what this operating system can do in its full potential, think it should do something else, and when tech support told you they're not going to change it to your preferences, decided it was a bug and are now trying to rally people to your side.

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums App

#26 skaferret, Dec 3, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 3, 2010
  3. skaferret

skaferret New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    No, the droid doesn't add the 011, because it doesn't have to. The country code for russia is +7, and when you put "LA" on the end, it confuses your phone into thinking the first digit of the number string is a country code.

Edit: I'm sorry, it does add 011. But that is a part of the functionality of the phone.

To dial a Russian number you put 011 + 7 + area code + 7 digit number.

But honestly so what if it adds the 011 before the number. The droid is an internationally enabled phone. All international phones either do this too, or should. To combat this issue, put a 1 in front of your number, like most land line services are requiring you to do. Technology is evolving, and it seems you're getting left behind.

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums App

#27 skaferret, Dec 3, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2010
  4. ram1728

ram1728 New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Thank you, that seems to help. It's not perfect but it's a workaround so I can keep the information and still dial a number. I would still have to do a lot of editing.

5. joker402

joker402 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    For the record I have 5 diffrent numbers in my contact list that have puases/2-sec waits after them, some even 3 different sets in one string and no problems. I also dial international to mexico frequently and have those numbers in my contact list.

I tried adding text after a 7digit number an a 10didgit number and it dials the number but ignores the text part. It seems to work for me idk what the bug is.

Sent from my DROIDX

6. mwhartman

mwhartman Super Moderator/RS
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +12
    Ram1728, one of the super mods provided this link Google Operating System: Android and email address gostips@gmail.com

I'm not sure if your issue will get to the correct person or team at Google but it is another avenue. Let us know if you receive any feedback. It may help others.

Sorry I could not be more helpful.

Mike

7. ram1728

ram1728 New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Before you start the name calling I would recommend learning to read and comprehend what you've read first and "get with the program". To respond to you poorly thought out responses:

1) what if it's a live operator that you have to tell the extension to? Or what if it's a personal identifier you have to tell the operator. Ok putting in a comma works around the problem, but not really a fix
    2) this is not the problem, the problem is the leading 011 that the Droid inserts.
    3) Yes, I do realize that. You sarcasm is noted and not appreciated. Also, the field names are fixed and there is no way to notate which number you're calling as I have explained explicitly in earlier posts.

What's with all the excuses? I really like the Droid but I don't understand why there is such a strong denial of a problem.

8. ram1728

ram1728 New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    The Droid shows the leading 011 in my called numbers, so it certainly appears to insert the 011. And you are saying the Droid is "confused" by simply putting text after a phone number. Doesn't seem too smart nor a great design.

Then you say, "But honestly so what if it adds the 011 before the number". So you're trying to tell me that because a phone can make international calls that it should just stick a 011 in front of the number. What??? Well if I'm trying to dial a phone that's a mile away and the Droid dials a number half way around the world, I think everyone considers that a problem. I don't know how you cannot see that.

All international phones do NOT work this way. I think I understand you now; so what you're saying is, "the Droid is a flawless design and all other phones in the past have been designed incorrectly".

The required 1 in front of the number has been around for at least 30 years; actually it is getting less and less required for domestic calls. Please get your facts straight before spouting off.

9. ram1728

ram1728 New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Thank you. For some reason putting a pause or "," seems to workaround this problem. Thank you to mwhartman for pointing this out.

10. jstafford1

jstafford1 Super Moderator
    Rescue Squad

Ratings:
    +1,819
    Twitter:
    jstaff79
    Ok this will be a warning and last remark on this. No more name calling or disrespect. Anymore issues like this here and this thread will be closed.

ram1728 I am sorry for your problem. There is nothing to do with it other than either add commas to your contacts or get another phone. The way you've been doing things seems odd and that's where we are having difficulties with it. I understand your point of view and later tonight I can get a screenshot of the contacts area to show you where to note different things. I am running a ROM that is not stock at the momment so would have to switch. It would mean alot of editing, so either way I think adding the commas is your best bet.

11. killuhjason

killuhjason Member

Ratings:
    +0

I dont even see how he added letters to the number, I just tried making a contact on my D1, and it doesnt give any option whatsoever to add letters.

12. ram1728

ram1728 New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Thank you! You have been extremely helpful. I'm happy that this Android issue / bug/ problem is out there in a public forum and hopefully someone at Google or Verizon Wireless will take notice. This is a complicated device and I expect some problems to pop up; and hopefully get fixed. Overall it's a fantastic phone with a few bugs work out. I will check out the website / email address and see what happens. Thanks again.

Search tags for this page
011 before number on galaxy s3
android dialing 011 in front of contacts
android phone adds 011
android put 011 in front of international call
android stop calling 011 on us numbers
assisted dialing verizon wireless, droid razr

galaxy s3 dials 011 numbers with extensions

international prefix verizon razr
s3 keeps putting 011
samsung galaxy s3 adds 011 to phone numbers from websites