Droid OS Causes Misdialed International Calls (Verizon Wireless)

Tallica

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I am sorry for your issue and it seems that you have resigned yourself to the fact that it is just a "limitation" of the OS. But it most certainly not a bug. A bug is something that the OS is designed to do but doesn't. In this case the OS is not designed to work this way. The iPhone doesn't play flash video while other phones can, yet this is not a bug. The iOS is not designed to run flash. You are the 1st person I've ever heard put text into the phone # field though.

I hope you take some more time to decide weather the X is right for you, we get plenty of happy X customers here.

God luck:)

OP
R

ram1728

Reaction score
By your reasoning if a car turns left when the wheel is turned right and it is designed that way then there is no problem and it is not a bug. That just makes no sense.

OP
R

ram1728

Reaction score
Here are three really simple examples of why you would want to put in text/digits after a 10 digit phone number and why this is a bug / problem / issue for the Droid OS.

1. to show the extension you have to dial after the 10 digit phone number
  2. to use a calling card with pauses and pin numbers
  3. to keep track of which number to use for people who have multiple cell phones or different business lines, etc. For example, maybe sometimes you would need to call Mike on his business line in Bakersfield, but other times you would need to call Mike on his business line in Los Angeles.
I'm sure there are many other reasons if you think about it a bit.

jstafford1

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Twitter
jstaff79
So, if I get this right you're saying you type "111-111-1111joe schmoe's cell" into the phone number line?
I've had no other cell phone where this was needed or even thought to do. There's a line for number, a tab to denote home, work, mobile, a line for name, a place for notes.

Its seems the way you've been doing it is outside how it should be done and just now running into problems. I understand you have a massive contact list, but this "problem" is user created.

Sent from somewhere...

jstafford1

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Twitter
jstaff79
Here are three really simple examples of why you would want to put in text/digits after a 10 digit phone number and why this is a bug / problem / issue for the Droid OS.

3. to keep track of which number to use for people who have multiple cell phones or different business lines, etc. For example, maybe sometimes you would need to call Mike on his business line in Bakersfield, but other times you would need to call Mike on his business line in Los Angeles.

There are places to denote these things within the system. And like others this is the first we've seen of someone complaining of this in over a year being here.

Sent from somewhere...

jstafford1

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Twitter
jstaff79
Ok I remembered a trick for dialing extensions that should fix your issue. Put a comma after the number. This pauses the dialer for a second and will break it up to where its not one long string of numbers.

Sent from somewhere...

OP
R

ram1728

Reaction score
Please see my response for 3 really simple examples of why you would do this. These are not unusual nor extreme scenarios.

The problem is not user created because in the last 10yrs of using a smart phone I have only had this problem with the Droid OS. This is a Droid created bug. Other phones (mobile and land) don't have this problem of inserting a 011 prior to dialing a local number resulting in a misdialed international call. Why would anyone intentionally design a phone to insert 011 prior to dialing a phone number unless the user specifically said it is an international call?

OP
R

ram1728

Reaction score
That would be great if there is a place to denote these things. I hope it really is that simple; that I've just overlooked something. If that's the case then I owe everyone a big apology.

Can you tell me how I can denote the extension or location of a specific phone number? I can't find it in Outlook (that I sync to) nor in the Droid OS nor in the DejaOffice sync software.

Other people have complained about this issue. Please read my entry showing 4 other people complaining about this same issue. And I'm surprised there are this many considering the overwhelming denial of a Android bug / problem that I've received about this issue.

mwhartman

Super Moderator/RS
Premium Member
Reaction score
I believe the suggestion is the change your current entry "(760)555-1212 mikes cel" to
"(760)555-1212, mikes cel"

OP
R

ram1728

Reaction score
The problem is not the dialing of the extra digits at the end of the phone number. The problem is that Droid inserts a 011 prior to dialing the local number. so (760)555-1212 LA becomes an international call to Russia.

skaferret

Reaction score

1) when you use an extension in a phone number, you're supposed to use a pause. Not letters.

2)using calling cards with pauses and pin numbers/letters, is just that. using pauses, and they give you a prompt when to enter in the letters. All the droid is doing is converting the letter to its corresponding number on the dialpad.

3) to keep track of certain numbers/multiple numbers for a certain contact. - you do realize that every phone that has been for sale on the market in the..oh say past 7 years has had the ability to keep track of multiple numbers under one contact? You can usually also assign a default number for that contact as well.

The android operating system is for a smart phone. And all your phone is doing is just that, being smart. It technically doesn't have to add the 011 in front of the number your dialing, because you're dialing it from within the country. When you add extra characters to that number that are converted into numbers by the phone, it just so happened by random chance that the entire string of numbers ended up sending you to a block in Russia. It could have very well been another country.

I don't feel this is a design flaw or serious bug at all. I think you're just experiencing what this operating system can do in its full potential, think it should do something else, and when tech support told you they're not going to change it to your preferences, decided it was a bug and are now trying to rally people to your side.

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums App

Last edited by a moderator:

skaferret

Reaction score
The problem is not the dialing of the extra digits at the end of the phone number. The problem is that Droid inserts a 011 prior to dialing the local number. so (760)555-1212 LA becomes an international call to Russia.

No, the droid doesn't add the 011, because it doesn't have to. The country code for russia is +7, and when you put "LA" on the end, it confuses your phone into thinking the first digit of the number string is a country code.

Edit: I'm sorry, it does add 011. But that is a part of the functionality of the phone.

To dial a Russian number you put 011 + 7 + area code + 7 digit number.

But honestly so what if it adds the 011 before the number. The droid is an internationally enabled phone. All international phones either do this too, or should. To combat this issue, put a 1 in front of your number, like most land line services are requiring you to do. Technology is evolving, and it seems you're getting left behind.

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums App

Last edited:
OP
R

ram1728

Reaction score
Thank you, that seems to help. It's not perfect but it's a workaround so I can keep the information and still dial a number. I would still have to do a lot of editing.

joker402

Reaction score
For the record I have 5 diffrent numbers in my contact list that have puases/2-sec waits after them, some even 3 different sets in one string and no problems. I also dial international to mexico frequently and have those numbers in my contact list.

I tried adding text after a 7digit number an a 10didgit number and it dials the number but ignores the text part. It seems to work for me idk what the bug is.

Sent from my DROIDX

mwhartman

Super Moderator/RS
Premium Member
Reaction score
Ram1728, one of the super mods provided this link Google Operating System: Android and email address [email protected]

I'm not sure if your issue will get to the correct person or team at Google but it is another avenue. Let us know if you receive any feedback. It may help others.

Sorry I could not be more helpful.

Mike