Droid Energy Saving

NJsFynest

Reaction score
Hello! I am a new Droid owner and new to the Android OS. I would like to know the best ways to get the max of my battery life.

And also, coming from Windows Mobile it was easy to manage open/apps in use with the Task Manager. Is there anyway I can manage and turn off apps that haven't been properly closed? For instance, I went to battery info and it says Google Maps is using 69% of battery life. I opened that last night.

Thanks!

brichards322

Reaction score
Download Task Killer from the app market. I also use the System Control app.

OP
N

NJsFynest

Reaction score
I downloaded a Advance Task Killer but everytime I kill and app, they seem to remain open. And Some apps that I know are open dont appear on the kill list.

hookerdj

Reaction score
you dont need any task killers it has a built in task killer this isnt a windows system so its a little different. just close programs like maps when your done

Hello! I am a new Droid owner and new to the Android OS. I would like to know the best ways to get the max of my battery life.

And also, coming from Windows Mobile it was easy to manage open/apps in use with the Task Manager. Is there anyway I can manage and turn off apps that haven't been properly closed? For instance, I went to battery info and it says Google Maps is using 69% of battery life. I opened that last night.

Thanks!

OP
N

NJsFynest

Reaction score
you dont need any task killers it has a built in task killer this isnt a windows system so its a little different. just close programs like maps when your done

Thanks!

Well, how do I properly close apps. I usually just hit Back or the Home button. Is that good enough?

Taegost

Reaction score
For most apps, pressing back until it closes will close out the app. There are some apps that will run all the time, like email and others because they are dependencies.
You should only have a problem with a poorly written app.
But for some like Maps, there may be issues. I used Advanced Task Killer because the Verizon rep said it was necessary. There are several good threads on here about the pros and cons of programs like that,i definitely recommend searching for them.
After I used a program called System Panel, I un-installed ATK and don't miss it. SP is the closest I've found to the Windows task manager and gives a lot more detailed information, including historical data

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Last edited:
OP
N

NJsFynest

Reaction score
For most apps, pressing back until it closes will close out the app. There are some apps that will run all the time, like email and others because they are dependencies.
You should only have a problem with a poorly written app.
But for some like Maps, there may be issues. I used Advanced Task Killer because the Verizon rep said it was necessary. There are several good threads on here about the pros and cons of programs like that,i definitely recommend searching for them.
After I used a program called System Panel,i installed ATK and don't miss it. SP is the closest I've found to the Windows task manager and gives a lot more detailed information, including historical data

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

So you find System Panel a bit better than ATK? I'll give that a look since you say its close to Windows Task Manager. The Android OS is farrrrr better than Windows but I did like the task manager.

So far, I'm extremely happy with my OS switch.

I use Juice Defender. It limits the data connection to 1 minute every 15 minutes, unless the screen is on, then the APN (data) is on.

That also sounds very useful!

jhom

Reaction score
You might want to check out Screebl. The screen is probably the greatest user of battery than anything else.

OP
N

NJsFynest

Reaction score
You might want to check out Screebl. The screen is probably the greatest user of battery than anything else.

Yeah, seems that way. I'm keeping it on the lowest setting. I hate it, but I want to conserve life.

bomber889

Reaction score
Make sure you turn wifi and bluetooth off when you aren't using them. Also, you can go into settings > account and sync and turn off background data if you don't mind your emails not syncing automatically. Also, turn your widgets to have a longer refresh rate.

OP
N

NJsFynest

Reaction score
Make sure you turn wifi and bluetooth off when you aren't using them. Also, you can go into settings > account and sync and turn off background data if you don't mind your emails not syncing automatically. Also, turn your widgets to have a longer refresh rate.

Will do :)

Does anyone recommend the extended battery?

bomber889

Reaction score

If you don't mind adding the bulk and spending the money. Another alternative is that you can get another battery for like 10 bucks on amazon.

OP
N

NJsFynest

Reaction score

If you don't mind adding the bulk and spending the money. Another alternative is that you can get another battery for like 10 bucks on amazon.

I was looking into that too, I think I may invest in another standard battery.

Also, the charger cord from factory is hella short. I gotta buy a longer one anyways so I'll get it in one shot.