Droid Energy Saving

Taegost

Reaction score
For most apps, pressing back until it closes will close out the app. There are some apps that will run all the time, like email and others because they are dependencies.
You should only have a problem with a poorly written app.
But for some like Maps, there may be issues. I used Advanced Task Killer because the Verizon rep said it was necessary. There are several good threads on here about the pros and cons of programs like that,i definitely recommend searching for them.
After I used a program called System Panel,i installed ATK and don't miss it. SP is the closest I've found to the Windows task manager and gives a lot more detailed information, including historical data

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

So you find System Panel a bit better than ATK? I'll give that a look since you say its close to Windows Task Manager. The Android OS is farrrrr better than Windows but I did like the task manager.

So far, I'm extremely happy with my OS switch.

I use Juice Defender. It limits the data connection to 1 minute every 15 minutes, unless the screen is on, then the APN (data) is on.

That also sounds very useful!

Yes, I System Panel is *MUCH* better then ATK (I just realized that I said "Installed', not "Un-installed"... Fixed that!). ATK would only show maybe 5-10 running programs... and even then, it didn't show some programs that I knew were still running. System Panel seems to show them all, plus gives you information like how much RAM they're using and how long they've used the CPU. It also has a nice install/uninstall interface that runs quicker then the Android one.
I've heard that Juice Defender can't disable the APN on the Droid, and I've had it installed pretty much from the beginning. I just un-installed it so I'll let you know if I notice any change in battery life.
If you have the full version of Juice Defender, it can toggle your WiFi on and off, and something with MMS as well, but I have no idea what that option does, and I have a program called SettingProfile Lite that I use to toggle WiFi on and off based on my location automatically, so I've never considered paying for it :)

Last edited:

Barkleyfan

Reaction score
As far as WiFi, it depends on your signal. WiFi isn't as hard on the battery as weak 3G is. I have poor signal at my house, so I just leave my wifi active, and my battery lasts longer. Screen is the biggest battery killer. Only max it outside, and I only touch when I need to do something. I used to leave my finger on the screen while I was reading and scroll as necessary. Now I only touch the screen when I actually am ready to scroll. Makes a difference.

Taegost

Reaction score
When I'm home or at one of my family members' house, I'll leave the WiFi on, but if I'm at work or out and about on the town, I usually shut it off unless I need it, no sense leaving it on if it's not connected to anythino, all it does is keep refreshing and looking for a remembered connection :)
My apartment has pretty crappy reception too, but luckily, my Droid actually has good service in every room (usually at least 2-3 bars), whereas my last phone (i760) would have 1-2 bars and I couldn't use it in the kitchen at all.
I also just noticed that I'm getting better battery life switching kernels. I was using the Low-voltage 1GHz p3droid kernel but I was losing about 10% of my charge per hour under moderate usage (I have eBuddy going, Bloo checking Facebook every 2 minutes, plus my normal checking texts and facebook notifications as they come in). When I got down to 50% I switched to the 1GHz bekit kernel and in 3.5 hours I just now went down 20%, so I just hit 30%, and that's after removing my phone from the car charger at 9:45am (It's now 7pm). It seems like it's given me about a 40% increase in battery life (It's about 5.7%/hour now instead of about 10%). These numbers are rough, but accurate enough. I didn't log exact times, and my Droid only reports battery life in 10% increments, but I've been playing with it enough to be fairly confident with these figures.
I noticed that I had to bump down the overclocking when I have it plugged in my car too, if I left it at 1GHz when using Navigation it still sucked down about 20% of my charge on a 1.5 hour drive, and using Slacker on my way into work used about 10% of my charge for a 45 minute drive... But bumping it down to 700MHz when plugged in with SetCPU let me start off my day with an almost 100% charge :)

Last edited:

Barkleyfan

Reaction score
Crazy. The Bekit kernels hate my phone with any rom, at any clock. They run hot and thirsty. P3's with BBV1 give me over 20 hours on a charge with light-moderate use, and temps are around 28 celsius, versus around 38 with Bekit. The processor can handle higher temps, but the heat cycling is hard on anything.

Taegost

Reaction score
Yeah, about the only consistent thing I've seen from reading these forums is that everyone has different experiences with roms and kernels. That's why I keep switching them up to find out what works best for me

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

boxs21

Reaction score
how could it happen like that?
grey.png