Droid drowning already?

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
The Nexus runs 2.1 which the Droid will get.... so if developers are jumping onto the Nexus wagon, wouldn't their efforts with 2.1 end up paying off for us when we (Droid) get 2.1? ...because they'll already have some time with 2.1 on a device?

we can't run the same exact ROMs... different hardware and different resolutions... but it will be easier than porting hero/espresso ROM, imo
True.... and I guess I'm missing a part of it here since I don't have my Droid rooted nor do I plan on rooting.

iPirate

Reaction score
This thread has a lot of "info"

Apps that are developed for N1 (it is running Android 2.1) will work on the Droid when it gets Android 2.1.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
natty_lite;147811 [B said:
Sales wise, the Droid dwarfs the Nexus. I could be wrong[/B], but I imagine most development was aimed towards the G1 anyway. So the movement was more like the G1, to the Nexus. Makes sense they already obviously had T-Mobile contracts.

Basically, what I'm saying, is that there is no change or shift.

You're not wrong at all. 20,000 Nexus 1 phones in the first week is a fact, it didn't have a great launch, it had not advertising other then internet and word of mouth. Droid sales are way over Nexus. And hardware and apps will be developed for it.

wuyanks

DF News Team
Premium Member
Reaction score
we're confusing app development and ROM development :)

developers writing apps for 2.1 with high resolutions in mind will be compatible with both the N1 and Droid

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
we're confusing app development and ROM development :)

developers writing apps for 2.1 with high resolutions in mind will be compatible with both the N1 and Droid
Exactly. Ever since the sdk and announcements of 2.1 were announced its only natural for devs to evolve along with it.

bL33d

Reaction score
the droid has verizon nexus has tmobile its not even a contest here... lol :motdroidhoriz:

mjs31

Reaction score
I really just hope the Nexus, and any other 2.1 running phones, bring more developers to the table. I see future Android phones as a positive and in no way a negative. I love my Droid, but I can assure you that it will not be my last Android phone so I want the high end developers to keep moving forward and putting out some top notch apps/games or whatever.

Bucknell2013

Reaction score
Nexus One sales should say it all.

Heavy droid adoption should say even more.

Also, it depends what you define as "did awesome." I think the droid is still doing great. My friends continue to pick up Droids and love them. If anything, I feel bad for N1 owners--Dealing with T-mobile, and google's experiment is not my idea of a premium customer experience, especially for the price they are asking.

greyghost04

Reaction score
If you have been reading the articles the Nexus 1 launch has been a total disaster.

JamesX

Reaction score
The N1 launch is pretty bad. Especially with the horror stories of support. Once Google/T-Mobile/HTC sort that out, maybe it has a chance to stand on its own. If this fiasco continues, I think word of mouth will destroy it :(

JhankG

Silver Member
Reaction score
I wish we had a Cyanogen type for the Droid. I understand that he doesn't mess with CDMA phones since that's not what he uses, but it's still a bit disappointing.

StepDroid

Official DF Vendor
Premium Member
Reaction score
I'm thinking more people bought Droids than Nexus phones. Of course, the Droid had a headstart. Eventually I would say a year or more from now it might even out.. but if Motorola keeps updating the Droid (new designs, etc) I don't see why the Droid couldn't outsell the Nexus.

It could happen. Motorola really did build the phone very well. Of course, we don't know if they can build such a nice phone without Google's help. Only time will tell.

-Wil

That's not the only reason.... Droid did 12 times the sales in a 2 week period.... the promotion is superior and the service with Verizon makes it just that much better.... the nexus is what I predicted it would be... a cult phone..... this has been tabbed a beta project for Google. I doubt they even have the capacity to contend with Moto as a device maker.

Don't expect the nexus to ever get even with the Droid. Droid is the king of android promotions right now and for the foreseeable future.

shademar

Reaction score
I agree with the notion that 2.1 is the major factor here, not the phone model. My personal interest is regarding the business model that google is hoping to promote with respect to phones in the future and whether this model is remotely feasible once the kinks get worked out. In short, can google either compete with or slit the throat of the status-quo brick-and-mortar reality. (I vote No, but would be happy to be proven wrong.)

In addition to looking at the guestimate numbers of phones sold, I've been watching purely anecdotal things like the numbers of new forum members across different droid and N1 forums since the day of launch. When N1 launched, I seem to remember that there were about 7-800 members pre-registered, while they now have 1,463 registered members. The droid forums ironically hit 25,000 around the day of the N1 launch and currently have 27,875 over the same time fame...

So during the periods of the N1 launch, (Droid) added 2875 members while N1 added 763 members.

THIS BASICALLY MEANS NOTHING. :D The model-by-model competition is lame because N1 should end up on VZW soon, which will skew the relative ratios all to hell anyways. I just thought I'd point these numbers out to the people that think the droid is somehow being abandoned in droves...

I hope that google pulls their smartphone strategy together (I had to listen to some non-techie co-workers bash the hypothetical "Google-phone" based on the series of oversimplifying blog posts and generally baseless news reports published all day..."google" risks becoming a black mark if they don't get on top of this sort of seeping public perception quickly. This is the first impression, thanks to your PR...MAKE SURE IT DOESN'T BITE YOU IN THE ASS...)

Also, for what it's worth...I think my phone is totally freaking awesome. (I also think the N1 sounds completely awesome, and would not turn down the chance to compare them side-by-side, were such a thing feasible.) :rolleyes: