Droid drowning already?

ipwnagestaff

Reaction score
Droid did awesome in the beginning, but now since all the talk about the Nexus One, people seemed to drop what they were doing, and hop over to start porting to the One.

Some apps I really was looking forward to being completed was halted, and the developer started working on the Nexus already..has someone else noticed this too?

CatsTide

Reaction score
shouldn't most of the apps be android 2.0.1 or 2.1...not phone specific? if so droid will be 2.1 very soon...

BzB

Reaction score
no, haven't noticed this. look at the nexus one sales numbers. people are not migrating to that phone in droves, and i doubt they will either.

Echo3

Reaction score
Droid did awesome in the beginning, but now since all the talk about the Nexus One, people seemed to drop what they were doing, and hop over to start porting to the One.

Some apps I really was looking forward to being completed was halted, and the developer started working on the Nexus already..has someone else noticed this too?

The Droid will get 2.1 which is what the N1 has. So whatever app they're making for 2.1, more than likely it will work for the Droid as well (when 2.1 is available). The OS the Nexus One has (2.1) wasn't made specifically for that phone only

Sam

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
excitement about every new device will happen. there will always be something that comes along that some people think is better (whether it is or not) and they will jump on that bandwagon. i understand the fuss about the N1, but it still isn't what i need (like a keyboard) in a phone.. so i'll stay here.

SSHGuru

Silver Member
Reaction score
I read they sold 20k Nexus Ones. They have already sold over 1M Droids. Who do you think the developers will focus on.

natty_lite

Reaction score
I don't think an app can be made exclusively for the Nexus. The Android 2.1 SDK doesn't discriminate.

wil318466

Reaction score
I'm thinking more people bought Droids than Nexus phones. Of course, the Droid had a headstart. Eventually I would say a year or more from now it might even out.. but if Motorola keeps updating the Droid (new designs, etc) I don't see why the Droid couldn't outsell the Nexus.

It could happen. Motorola really did build the phone very well. Of course, we don't know if they can build such a nice phone without Google's help. Only time will tell.

-Wil

wuyanks

DF News Team
Premium Member
Reaction score
many devs have moved onto the N1... but there will still be much development for the Droid. without the full 2.1 source code, droid development has slowed, which makes sense, considering the N1 was just released, and much is to be discovered with that device. but sholes.info team is working hard creating fantastic roms for the droid as we speak :D.

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
The Nexus runs 2.1 which the Droid will get.... so if developers are jumping onto the Nexus wagon, wouldn't their efforts with 2.1 end up paying off for us when we (Droid) get 2.1? ...because they'll already have some time with 2.1 on a device?

wuyanks

DF News Team
Premium Member
Reaction score
The Nexus runs 2.1 which the Droid will get.... so if developers are jumping onto the Nexus wagon, wouldn't their efforts with 2.1 end up paying off for us when we (Droid) get 2.1? ...because they'll already have some time with 2.1 on a device?

we can't run the same exact ROMs... different hardware and different resolutions... but it will be easier than porting hero/espresso ROM, imo

natty_lite

Reaction score
I'm thinking more people bought Droids than Nexus phones. Of course, the Droid had a headstart. Eventually I would say a year or more from now it might even out.. but if Motorola keeps updating the Droid (new designs, etc) I don't see why the Droid couldn't outsell the Nexus.

It could happen. Motorola really did build the phone very well. Of course, we don't know if they can build such a nice phone without Google's help. Only time will tell.

-Wil
Sales wise, the Droid dwarfs the Nexus. I could be wrong, but I imagine most development was aimed towards the G1 anyway. So the movement was more like the G1, to the Nexus. Makes sense they already obviously had T-Mobile contracts.

Basically, what I'm saying, is that there is no change or shift.