Droid VS. N1 for display!!

jkwakopo

Reaction score
if this is already posted, it's my fault for spamming again...

Google Nexus One versus Motorola Droid Display Shoot-Out

not a tech guy so didn't understand half the stuff they were talking about but i guess conclusion: Droid has superior display.. According to displaymate.com, Droid has the best display they have tested so far! Let me know what You guys think?? I guess OLED isn't always good if they can't get the settings right eh?

iPirate

Reaction score
Nice find.

I'm interested in seeing OLED develop, I am happy to see it in more products and also happy I haven't bought one yet. They don't seem perfected yet.

:motdroidvert:

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
OLED is excellent. It's HTC who makes poor product(s)

Maybe if they didn't kick out 12,500 new devices a week and focused on making solid product these issues wouldn't exist.

HTC reminds me of RIM ; )

hollowbox

Reaction score

Maybe if they didn't kick out 12,500 new devices a week and focused on making solid product these issues wouldn't exist.

I'm not really a big phone guy, but even as a casual interested observer I've thought the same thing about htc. Does any company really need any more than three phones at a time? A flagship, a mid level, and a budget. Focus on the quality not the quanity. They seem like they put something new out every week. They are like the taylormade golf company, don't buy the r9 driver cause next week the r9 460 will be out, and the week after that a superfast and the week after that a tp etc...etc....etc....we all love new stuff but when companies continually drop new products every other day it kind of cheapens the whole bunch and really calls into question how focused the company is on making a truly great phone, driver, car, or whatever the product may be.

OP
jkwakopo

jkwakopo

Reaction score

i totally agree... i fee like Android is growing too fast and hardware quality is not up to other competitors (Apple?).... I'm already on my 4th droid due to slider getting lose, statics, and muffed voice call from my end. My friend also had similar problems and he is on his 3rd and so far so good. Although I'm not a big fan of apple (although i recently purchased iPad, my first Apple product ever) this kind of problem probably doesn't happen in iPhones (at least not to my gf and 10 to 15 friends of mine, I'm the only Droid owner, I'm surrounded by apple fanboys, even though i was the first and only one to get the iPad lol) who never ever had hardware issues with their iPhones... Other than few hardware hiccups ( and solved, my 4th refurb is great!!!), I find my droid more useful than my iPad in general (Droid is a must for my wifi tether). Now I only wish my droid had 9.7 inch screen, then i wouldn't mind not having a physical keyboard =)

Last edited:

smokiedabong

Reaction score
For two months I used an AMOLED screen phone and that screen is the best I've seen , the Droid's screen is A+ , but the AMOLED is A+++++++++++ .

OP
jkwakopo

jkwakopo

Reaction score

I'm not really a big phone guy, but even as a casual interested observer I've thought the same thing about htc. Does any company really need any more than three phones at a time? A flagship, a mid level, and a budget. Focus on the quality not the quanity. They seem like they put something new out every week. They are like the taylormade golf company, don't buy the r9 driver cause next week the r9 460 will be out, and the week after that a superfast and the week after that a tp etc...etc....etc....we all love new stuff but when companies continually drop new products every other day it kind of cheapens the whole bunch and really calls into question how focused the company is on making a truly great phone, driver, car, or whatever the product may be.

Dude, I envy you, I'm still using my r7 irons with Sasquatch Driver =(

smokiedabong

Reaction score
Yes it was a Samsung Omnia 2 . Never seen an HTC AMOLED though . I didn't think they have a production line for those , still don't think they make OLED themselves , I thought they are buying them from LG or Samsung .

smokiedabong

Reaction score
Come to think of it , the technology to produce OLED's is simpler and cheaper than LCD's , not that hard for HTC to set a production line for these :( .

OP
jkwakopo

jkwakopo

Reaction score
Yes it was a Samsung Omnia 2 . Never seen an HTC AMOLED though . I didn't think they have a production line for those , still don't think they make OLED themselves , I thought they are buying them from LG or Samsung .

HTC N1 has Samsungs AMOLED Touchscreen with OLED display which, I believe, is also made by Samsung.

Iphone/ipad used A4 (newer iPhones will, 3gs has same cpu chip, OMAP3430 made by TI, and it's already kinda obsolete due to all these new phones with "SnapOverHypedDragon", but Droid's OMAP is running ( underclocked) @ 550 MHz instead of Iphone's 600MHz. A4 chip is manufactured by Samsung and their display is made by LG...

so now i have a new question... All these companies basically compete against each other... Do you think Samsung/LG will release their best technology to their rivals handsets? or do they keep the good ones?? Because some of AMOLED I've seen on Samsung TV is just different beast than once you see on your smart pohone

I also found out over saturation on many AMOLED devices are very common specially among mobile gadgets.. AMOLED is known to over saturate colors of reds and oranges. This AMOLED is definitely better for outdoor uses and also consumes less power than traditional LCD displays.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, I even looked Samsung's Korean home page to find at least model # but miserably failed... Even iSuppli.com really don't list the model # they just list it as Samsung Mobile Display 3.7 inch AMOLED

Update: http://www.samsungsmd.com/eng/text/ this is the link to Samsung Mobile Display home page.

According to this, N1 uses 3.7in WVGA display although there has been some question about if N1's screen resolution being less than what it said to be

http://androidcommunity.com/nexus-one-display-not-true-wvga-20100325/
http://wmpoweruser.com/?p=14701

wow it has 50% less than 800*480 (so real pixel @ 392*653)

so it doesn't really matter if you got AMOLED Touchscreen with OLED display... resolution is terrible... Coming from the Droid's screen, this n1 display will look terrible compare to their Droid brother. Seems like GOOGLE/HTC really rushed their product. Google definitely didn't want this press about them using cheaper components. It's probably HTC always rushing their products... Seriously how many smart phones do you need?? Seems like HTC is busy rushing their new products rather than solving current problems on N1. and We all know HTC will be really busy once that Apple suit moves on.

Last edited:
OP
jkwakopo

jkwakopo

Reaction score
Come to think of it , the technology to produce OLED's is simpler and cheaper than LCD's , not that hard for HTC to set a production line for these :( .

VERY VERY WRONG... Go to Amazon.com and check the price between LCD and LED TV. LED tv will cost you a lot more than your regular 1080p LCD tv ( another reason I couldn't get that beautiful Samsung LED TV 1/2 inch thick and settled with LG 1080P 120hz LCD.. )

The Waiting Game: OLED Cheaper Than LCD By 2016

darreno1

Reaction score

i totally agree... i fee like Android is growing too fast and hardware quality is not up to other competitors (Apple?).... I'm already on my 4th droid due to slider getting lose, statics, and muffed voice call from my end. My friend also had similar problems and he is on his 3rd and so far so good. Although I'm not a big fan of apple (although i recently purchased iPad, my first Apple product ever) this kind of problem probably doesn't happen in iPhones (at least not to my gf and 10 to 15 friends of mine, I'm the only Droid owner, I'm surrounded by apple fanboys, even though i was the first and only one to get the iPad lol) who never ever had hardware issues with their iPhones... Other than few hardware hiccups ( and solved, my 4th refurb is great!!!), I find my droid more useful than my iPad in general (Droid is a must for my wifi tether). Now I only wish my droid had 9.7 inch screen, then i wouldn't mind not having a physical keyboard =)

I agree with your overall sentiment but the Droid has been a solid phone overall despite the problems some have had. As for the iPhone, I have a good relationship with 6 people with iPhones, 4 have had to have them replaced for various reasons, and the other 2 have occasional crashes and reboots. NO phone is perfect. The iPhone is spawned from the same place most other smartphones are, Foxconn, Taiwan.

Last edited:

smokiedabong

Reaction score

VERY VERY WRONG... Go to Amazon.com and check the price between LCD and LED TV. LED tv will cost you a lot more than your regular 1080p LCD tv ( another reason I couldn't get that beautiful Samsung LED TV 1/2 inch thick and settled with LG 1080P 120hz LCD.. )

The Waiting Game: OLED Cheaper Than LCD By 2016

Don't confuse an LED TV with OLED . LED TV is basically an LCD TV with LED backlight , so instead of having a solid backlight passing through an LCD filter , now it's spitted in areas with LEDs . OLED (organic LED ) is a totally different technology , they are small printed colored LEDs that illuminate creating a pixel themselves , without any LCD filter , they have better contrast and colors than LED TV . As a side-job I offer warranty service for the biggest TV manufacturers so I know how they are made and how to fix them .
The manufacturing process for OLED is similar with a inkjet printer printing an organic matrix on a surface , small dots of organic matter which illuminates when exposed to an electrical current . This is way cheaper for the manufacturer than any other flat panel technology out there . But being a new technology of course it will sell at a high price , remember when the first LCDs were out , they were selling for 15.000$