Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Hometown Brooklyn, NY Now Fuquay Varina, NC
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel XL/Galaxy Note 8
Twitter
DroidNCState
It was my understanding that the PMU problem afflicted both the Bionic and the Atrix. Now that the Atrix is out in the world with no overheating issues I'm assuming the same is true of the Bionic.

It is two reasons maybe the info was false about the overheating or they fixed the problem... I Messed with the Atrix yesterday for about 20 minutes it did not over heat at all... It is very fast!!!! Games played fast and Browsing was very fast...

So, Preach, are you sold on the Bionic?

Yes I am sold on The Bionic. I will wait a week or two after the release. To make sure there are no problems.

creaky

Reaction score
It is two reasons maybe the info was false about the overheating or they fixed the problem... I Messed with the Atrix yesterday for about 20 minutes it did not over heat at all... It is very fast!!!! Games played fast and Browsing was very fast...

So, Preach, are you sold on the Bionic?

Yes I am sold on The Bionic. I will wait a week or two after the release. To make sure there are no problems.

Cool. I'm tempted to get it at release in case there are shortages. Seems to me that any problems would become apparent before the 14-day return window has expired.

PolyOlefin

Reaction score
Honestly, we should wait until it's closer to release and press demos are sent out. Without a hands-on review confirming any issues, no one should dismiss the Bionic, regardless of how reliable this insider has been in the past.

Evidence > Speculation.

corymcnutt

Reaction score
Honestly, we should wait until it's closer to release and press demos are sent out. Without a hands-on review confirming any issues, no one should dismiss the Bionic, regardless of how reliable this insider has been in the past.

Evidence > Speculation.
EXACTLY! Does anybody really think Moto would put out a product that would have that big an issue? It would be suicide for them; nobody would trust them every again. An official release date has never been announcemented by either Moto or Verizon, so it is not late. Moto hinted the end of 2Q2011, so let's not speculate until we see some hands on. The Bionic is a lot like the Atrix and it doesn't have this issue.

Skull One

Reaction score
EXACTLY! Does anybody really think Moto would put out a product that would have that big an issue? It would be suicide for them; nobody would trust them every again.

It is funny you should say that. HTC Thunderbolt is having that exact issue right this second. So lets see how HTC does with this situation.

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I agree skull one. I think motorola and htc are struggling with coding the device to handle switching from 3G to lte. Motorola bionic will be ok. I think apple, as much as I hate to admit it, may have been wise to sit on the sideline and wait and learn from struggles of those being the FIRST on 4G. Not saying apple would shy away from firsts being they were first to 3G. The phones released later in the year will learn from the struggles of htc and motorola. I expect we will see things smooth out as they learn more about the lte network.

wingdo

Reaction score
Not saying apple would shy away from firsts being they were first to 3G.

On what planet???

The second generation phone was also a 2G phone which was released even though 3G was already available. The HTC Harrier was a CDMA EV-DO phone released at the end of 2004 (WM6). I am pretty certain there were a number of other 3G phones in 2005 / 2006. I'm pretty sure the iPhone wasn't 3G until summer of 2008.

wingdo

Reaction score
EXACTLY! Does anybody really think Moto would put out a product that would have that big an issue? It would be suicide for them; nobody would trust them every again.

It is funny you should say that. HTC Thunderbolt is having that exact issue right this second. So lets see how HTC does with this situation.

I agree Skully. This will all work out soon enough. It's just the transitions from LTE to EVDO and back that are killing it. I wonder how battery life is in areas where there is no 4G at all.

corymcnutt

Reaction score

Where does it say that the TB is having the issue of overheating? I thought it was battery life they were struggling with?

jaycemiskel

Reaction score

I agree Skully. This will all work out soon enough. It's just the transitions from LTE to EVDO and back that are killing it. I wonder how battery life is in areas where there is no 4G at all.

Word is that it's fine in areas with no 4g. WorldofJohnboy was given a test unit and has had no problems. There's a thread on it around here somewhere.

Skull One

Reaction score

Where does it say that the TB is having the issue of overheating? I thought it was battery life they were struggling with?

I never said it was the same physical issue. I said it was the same perception issue. Does HTC release the product "as is" or "fix it"? Motorola has the same perception issue with the Bionic.

CellZealot

Reaction score
I stated a long time ago in this thread that I never believed the "unfixable" part of xbernaut's statements, just that the problems he saw were real and were immediately corroborated independently by Winston25 and another unnamed, non public source.

Very shortly thereafter Winston25 came back and said the problem with the PMIC and been isolated and solved and was no longer an issue.

I don't doubt that there are ongoing problems with the LTE hardware that need tweaking but I do believe the specific issue that started this thread and all of the back and forth in the media and denials from Moto has been remedied.

I also think xbernaut may have had other reasons for the vehemence of his characterization of the problem as "unfixable" and a permanent flaw in design.

I won't go into the precise nature of those reasons but that is my read on this whole episode in retrospect.

Listen to Winston25...he has always been much more measured and sparse with his comments but also much less prone to exaggeration and hyperbole.

Skull One

Reaction score
I believe the best evidence of an issue with LTE as it concerns Motorola is the fact that the Xoom doesn't come with the equipment already installed.