Droid Bionics "unfixable flaw"?

kook

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
We have no idea what level of support or modifications will be at all possible with these phones.
We have been told to expect that they will be much more locked down than any previous phones.

This is one of the reasons I'm considering staying clear of Moto. Love the phones, but I have been spoiled by the flexibility of my D1.

Reaction score
Mate, you grossly overcomplicate simple truths.

Firstly, truth/lie is a human created morality. Deception is not. Credibility, as I said, is another human fabricated idea to support the moral concept of truth. Yes, there always will be fabrication. The electronic impulses in you brain render, or fabricate, images with no sensory input. We call this "imagination", which chemically has no difference to our brain as "credibility" or "morality". In other words, credibility, in its core, is fabricate by human conscience.

You quote and cite the dictionary, which is know to be completely a human fabrication.

You make it very clear that credibility is based upon, essentially what the majority agrees upon. You know another couple of words that could fall under the same lines? Trend, popular, and style. All are similar fabrications of the humanity.

Yes, all fabrications. You intelligently wrote a rebuttal that was, admittedly, more complete than mine.

Unfortunately it just ended up agreeing with me.

EDIT: Making fun of my swype-typo... Its too easy. "Swypos" I will call them!

Device: Samsung SCH-I400 Continuum

I don't agree with you in any respect and neither did my post. Your definition of the human race might as well be "We make stuff up, so why does any of it matter?".

It is a shame you are trying to define us in a way that makes our experiences in life pointless. I am not pointless. My perception of the world is not pointless.

I was once asked "Prove you exist". My answer was very quick and to the point.

Yesterday I perceived the sun rising. My wife shared that perception. My friends also perceived it. This perception has now reached the level of a group consensus and was deemed a fact. I relayed this perception to other people. They perceived my perception as credible because they perceived the same event at the same time I did. We now have a confirmed fact by members outside my group. Those people continued to share this perception and in that sharing discovered many others had the same perception. Six billion people shared that perception yesterday. It was a fact beyond dispute. My credibility was confirmed by the entire human race. I exist.

You can try to defend your position all you want by using the word fabrication. But here is something you have not considered and where you argument implodes on itself. The word fabrication and its definition is a FACT. You have used this word in a CREDIBLE manner albeit in a very poor argument. No one will dispute this perception.

The reality is, you have shown your point as unsustainable. You can't use the English language to defend yourself when the very fact that everyone's perception of the words used are the same and we all consider dictionaries as credible.

Actually, your arguing with me that 6 billion people either saw the sun rise or confirm you exist is a rather ridiculous notion.

Aside, when did I say that nothing matters/has meaning because everything is all seen the way it is due to a culmination of subjective associations? Quite the contrary. I believe that is why things are so beautiful. All because you and I interpret sensory and non-sensory input differently.

I am of the belief that accepting so-called "fact" because the majority agrees upon it is stupidity at its worst. If we all stayed with what everyone agreed was fact, the Earth would still be the center of the universe and be flat.

Yes, dictionaries are considered to be credible, but why? A group consensus agreed this is what the vast majority of the world agreed those words meant. Fair enough, but why should we choose to be limited by what others decide? So maybe I want to use the word fabrication to refer to truth? Am I not "allowed" because Webster is more "credible" than I? I think Shakespeare would agree with me there.

You perceive my argument to be about what a word means or doesn't mean. What human existence means or doesn't mean. Actually my argument, from the beginning, has been than you should not limit your thought to what you logically ascertain as truth from the consensus.

Credibility, in my perception, is yet another thing which limits the vastness of human thought. Why do you have to be credible to exist? You will still invariably exist, regardless of credibility, fabrication, or dictionaries. Why do you need confirmation from anyone else that your perception is credible?

Argue all you want about you being right and me being wrong, and I will simply look at you and say, why does one have to be right or wrong? Why can my perception not differ from yours?

But to keep the debate rolling, because I am rather enjoying this...Regardless of you arguing about credibility existing and me arguing that credibility limits you, you will likely come back with a rebuttal to discredit my statement. But here is the real question: how do you prove to me that I am not credible if I do not believe in credibility?

It's been great fun reading you smart guys debate both sides of the same coin... Perception is truly 9/10's of the law (and life).

Now back on topic. The D1 is my first smart phone and I have been totally spoiled by the experience. I've learned so much and had so much fun with it. In retrospect I had no idea what I was getting into. I never thought I would care so much about a damn phone!

I have immediate access to all of my critical business documents, projects and contacts; no matter where I am. I've got what I consider is a great camera that suits my purposes (I'm old enough to remember when the first Polaroid Land camera came out and when we had to buy bulbs and flash cubes to use with Kodak Instamatic cameras). I have a capable video camera. I can receive and send email, text my kids and my woman, and multitask until my head spins. Plus I can tinker with it till my heart’s content and then some.

I'm an old-school cat who grew up watching black and white T.V. I just got my first computer in 1999. When I was a youngster there were no cellphones or PC's.; only the DOD, major universities and multinational corporations had computers. I never would have imagined I'd be carrying one around that would fit in my pocket. While doing research about which smart phone to buy, I almost bought the iPhone and I'm so glad I didn't.

Thanks to you all for the discussion. I appreciate the conversation between you smart guys about what's coming out. My experience with the rooted D1 has made me care more than ever about the next phone I buy and I want to choose wisely. One thing I've learned in life is to chill and check out how things are going down. My upgrade isn't until fall of this year. I was feeling impatient about the wait and was considering paying full price early for what's next. This discussion has strengthened my resolve to wait and enjoy the wait. Now I'm glad that it’s not until fall because I think by then it’ll be evident how a lot of this shakes out and it’ll be fun watching the show.

However, the freedom of the D1 has made it clear to me that thus far I have little interest in a device with a tightly locked boot loader. I think root is where it’s at. The D1 may be dated, but the most recent benefit of root has allowed me to ride the Miui rom development rollercoaster, which has been a gas and made my phone like new again. With Miui and a P3 LV125-1100 kernel it blazes faster and does more than it ever did stock. This is a huge benefit because I’m getting enough additional mileage out of the old workhorse to sustain me through to my fall upgrade. I’m ultimately hoping for something that is unlocked with Tegra 2 and AMAP new features, or that at least Moto follows through on their stated intention to partner with the developer community. Perhaps working with some brilliant developers could bear “credible” fruit.

Preach2k

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Hometown Brooklyn, NY Now Fuquay Varina, NC
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel XL/Galaxy Note 8
Twitter
DroidNCState
J

Johnly

Editorial: bugs on unreleased phones don't matter (update: Motorola says phones will 'ship as scheduled') -- Engadget

Engadget added an update to the article (no idea if you guys saw this or if it was there before but it didn't really seem like it was there when the article was posted)

Moto says, "there are no overheating issues and the products will ship as scheduled."

Yes it has been posted!!!
Effen A! Only at DF do we get the WHOLE story! Thanks CK for the OP, and the suite that followed:icon_ banana:

OP
cereal killer

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
Winston and xbernaut rarely come back and explain their comments in depth.
I never really believed the "unfixable" part and was glad to see Winston say otherwise.
you have probably already read this but here goes. From xbernaut:

You have a ways to go for the Bionic people to hit shelves.However though the wide spread info about the devices problem sure lit a fire under somebodys *** as Moto has picked up the pace to fix what they can to get this thing moving along.They wont be able to correct all the issues but they will make it usable to where the consumer will accept it.I wonder if anyone has posted the SAR results?anyone seen those?

huskerkate

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
just what i was afraid of - pushing it out, but only in a functional state and not with the capacity it should have. this should have been a beast of a phone, but....

mwhartman

Super Moderator/RS
Premium Member
Reaction score
I imagine they figure that Apple released the iPhone 4 with known issues so why not the Bionic. Fix/patch to follow????

huskerkate

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
i think with all the proclamations Jha made about Moto having a dual core phone coming, they felt they HAD to get it out (altho they could save face by pointing to the Atrix). but my reading and understanding is that this isn't a flaw that can be fixed with an OTA - and please, someone correct me if i'm wrong! just sad and pitiable news for Moto's supposed new "flagship"....

OP
cereal killer

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
correct Husker an OTA can't fix problematic hardware. Would be cool though : )

I'm glad that xbernaut did what he did. It was well played....