DROID - A History

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
[video=youtube;uoTywCnEj1I]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uoTywCnEj1I&MID=13329&RID=43243649&CMP=EMC-C-S-UPG-DROID-PreOrder-T0-July2013-DT&EMHID=8216F2BC18F204B44C82A2A2072CE54E&CUHID=832A181C0072EDD292E260867F6F8111[/video]​

Call us crazy, but we are digging Verizon's latest Droid commercial. With an edgy and powerful rock beat it takes us from the OG Droid's humble beginnings in 2009 to today's current crop of Droid branded hardware and boy is it good. It's a great trip down memory lane and this commercial does nothing but bolster the Droid's credibility as a cutting edge smartphone with tons of attitude. The first commercial in '09 with the Stealth Fighters garnered a lot of attention, and we can't help but think this new one will surely have the same impact. Let us know what you think. A huge hit, or did Verizon miss the mark?

J

JohnDroid

It sure does bring back memories of the Droid 1, the phone that really started it all. I just don't think anything that 'disruptive' can come along again for Android, at least not that I can imagine.

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
First I must admit I thought you was going to break down the history of the Droid legacy yourself.
Though the commercial was awesome it almost want to drive me to drinking if I had stock in motorola because basically you just saw in 2 mins where Droid went. In 2009 it was THE android device with specs that pushed android to a whole new level along with the support of development. Then it just went down hill from there. Motorola/Verizon decided they wanted to control the experience more and more while putting out specs that seemed outdated. Someone said it better in another thread that Droid does no longer means any thing because what droid does this year other phones did last year. Motorola needs to step their game up. Droid needs to mean something again.

drewdawg

Reaction score
Droid does!

It sure does bring back memories of the Droid 1, the phone that really started it all. I just don't think anything that 'disruptive' can come along again for Android, at least not that I can imagine.
:hail: OG Droid :hail: FTW!!!

rowdyguy124

Reaction score
I still have and use my OG Droid running CM9. It's now used as a bike computer and music player when on my long biking trips. It still "Does"... Still have my Droid X too. That was as many people remember an industry leading phone at the time as well. That's also running CM9 and my son still uses it daily to play games, music and chat with friends.

stemo

Reaction score
I gave my mom my old d1. She uses it daily and it hasn't missed a beat.

tgyberg

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2XL & Pixel C
My buddy picked up the D1 in Nov of 2009 and was all over me to get one. I told him I'm good with my flip phone! :D I finally grabbed one that December and kicked myself for not listening to him and waiting! Here we are 4 years of complete phone obsession later!!

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
My buddy picked up the D1 in Nov of 2009 and was all over me to get one. I told him I'm good with my flip phone! :D I finally grabbed one that December and kicked myself for not listening to him and waiting! Here we are 4 years of complete phone obsession later!!

Remember leaving att because I bought an iphone and 10 days later had an issues with it getting a signal. Was frustrated with their policy at the time where I had to go through apple which wanted me to allow them to put a 600 dollar hold on my credit card. I told apple and att what I thought of that policy and went to vzw. Picked up a droid and I remember the first month crying about all the things my iphone did that my droid didnt (mainly not having the directv nfl app). I almost made a big mistake and was going to trade it for the omnia 2 or storm 2 just so i can get the nfl app and the guy at vzw wouldnt let me do it. To this day I thank him for talking me out of my stupidity. Directv released the nfl app like a few weeks later and all the things the i liked about the iphone began to pop up on the droid whether it be pinch to zoom through dolphin browser or various work arounds. Then sholesmod updater came out that made rooting and roming easier and it was like a whole new world opened up in my eyes. The openness and rom development just blew me away. What impresses me even more is that when i was overclocking my phone I thought how cool dual or quad core processors would be on a phone and here I am now with a n2 with a quad core processor and a massive screen. The droid took android to a whole new level and got the conversation started. From there we saw phone after phone continue to push the limits whether it be the evo devices increasing screen size, razr maxx increasing battery capacity while staying slim, or the galaxy devices push the limits on features. Because of the droid I continue to quietly root for motorola to bring us a device that just blows the competition away.

donzz

Reaction score
I ordered the Droid Maxx a couple days ago. I can't wait for it to come in! D1, Droid Bionic and now the Maxx!

stateworker

Reaction score
I'm completely in love with my RAZR maxx. It is a Beautiful, efficient machine.

From mobile, tapatalk beta 4

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
I don't think that anyone can conscientiously deny that the OGD (Aka Motorola Droid A855 "slider"), didn't only "change" Android, but that it really did in fact take it from "another operating system for phones", to an entire culture shocker. The OGD was THE game-changer. I don't really believe that things could possibly have progressed anywhere near as fast as they have had it not been for the massively aggressive, powerful, and very expensive ad campaign that was to launch the DROID, utilizing the name, the concept, and the uniqueness of the Droid's styling to the MAX!!

Then using the "Razr" namesake was a BRILLIANT way to re-capitalize on a proven success story and at the same time highlight the incredible innovation of the laminated manufacturing process that bore the Droid RAZR, and shortly after the Droid RAZR MAXX. As much as HTC, Samsung, and a few other manufacturers have certainly contributed to the entire global sweep that would become the Android revolution, I don't think anyone can deny that it was the seeds planted by Motorola and Verizon and gently nursed by Google which took this market by storm.

Imagine if the "trend-setter" were another brand instead - one that wasn't as well-built, one that didn't sport the best radios, one that didn't have a full keyboard in a slider package, one that didn't have the incredibly powerful advertising campaign and the full deep-pocketed backing of Verizon to push its public awareness... Imagine if instead that "game changer" phone was a plastic'y, cheap-feeling, poorly communicating, call-dropping nightmare of a phone instead. We might not have anywhere near the level of advancements and innovation that we've seen in just these few short years.

Phones have grown from being glorified PDAs to full-power microcomputers capable of handling even some of the most graphic intensive, speed sucking, memory demanding jobs and doing it better than even desktops of only a few short years ago. Nobody can argue that the era of "take your PC with you" is here. The desktop console or floor "tower" is all but dead in comparison. What better possible scenario could there be for someone like me, who markets a portable product both while in the office, and also while out at events and socializing. Now I can take my entire business with me...and it all fits into my shirt pocket (minus the pocket protector).

I have 2 Bluetooth wireless keyboards (Microsoft 6000 Keyboard & Apple Wireless Aluminum Keyboard), Bluetooth wireless mouse (Microsoft 5000 Notebook mouse), several Bluetooth wireless headsets (Motorola Motorokr S306, Jawbone Icon Rogue, MeElectronics Air-FI AF32, Plantronics Backbeat 903), and so far the only thing lacking is the wireless connection to my monitor...but it's coming. I also have a Bluetooth Caller ID Alert watch & bracelet BW09-1, which tells me when the phone is ringing and who is calling without even pulling the phone from my pocket. I can also answer or ignore the calls and again...even communicate (with the headsets mentioned above), all without even laying a finger on my phone.

My Ford F-150 Platinum (with climate controlled bucket seats - both heating and cooling...the Super Crew cab, 6.5' bed, electrically deploying running boards, and tailgate step), allows me to stream over 3,800 CDs stored on a 2 TB NAS drive at home right through the phone into the car stereo system and I don't have to touch a thing. I put the key into the ignition and about 5 seconds later the music I was last listening to starts right back up where it last left off...all over the Cellular network. I can answer the phone from the car, it also navigates me to my destination with voice commands, speaking the street names and exit numbers, tells me when and where to turn, it tells me where the cheapest gas is to fill my truck's belly, and where I can fill my belly too.

You all know me by now to be a bit verbose...but I just can't help myself. Android has changed my life in ways I could never have even begun to imagine. And I think we're just getting started. I can't wait for the next 5 years worth of innovations...I'm just not sure I'm ready for the changes it is going to make in my life this time around. But I'm sure going to enjoy the ride.