DROID - A History

Discussion in 'Android News' started by cereal killer, Jul 30, 2013.

1. cereal killer

cereal killer Administrator
    Staff Member

Ratings:
    +1,427
    Current Phone Model:
    Nokia Lumia Icon

Call us crazy, but we are digging Verizon's latest Droid commercial. With an edgy and powerful rock beat it takes us from the OG Droid's humble beginnings in 2009 to today's current crop of Droid branded hardware and boy is it good. It's a great trip down memory lane and this commercial does nothing but bolster the Droid's credibility as a cutting edge smartphone with tons of attitude. The first commercial in '09 with the Stealth Fighters garnered a lot of attention, and we can't help but think this new one will surely have the same impact. Let us know what you think. A huge hit, or did Verizon miss the mark?

• Like Like x 10
  2. JohnDroid

JohnDroid Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    It sure does bring back memories of the Droid 1, the phone that really started it all. I just don't think anything that 'disruptive' can come along again for Android, at least not that I can imagine.

• Like Like x 2
  3. pc747

pc747 Administrator
    Staff Member Rescue Squad

Ratings:
    +5,933
    First I must admit I thought you was going to break down the history of the Droid legacy yourself.
    Though the commercial was awesome it almost want to drive me to drinking if I had stock in motorola because basically you just saw in 2 mins where Droid went. In 2009 it was THE android device with specs that pushed android to a whole new level along with the support of development. Then it just went down hill from there. Motorola/Verizon decided they wanted to control the experience more and more while putting out specs that seemed outdated. Someone said it better in another thread that Droid does no longer means any thing because what droid does this year other phones did last year. Motorola needs to step their game up. Droid needs to mean something again.

• Like Like x 1
  4. drewdawg

drewdawg New Member

Ratings:
    +2
    Droid does!

:hail: OG Droid :hail: FTW!!!

• Like Like x 2
  5. LoneWolfArcher

LoneWolfArcher Silver Member

Ratings:
    +622
    That was awesome

• Like Like x 1
  6. rowdyguy124

rowdyguy124 Member

Ratings:
    +2
    I still have and use my OG Droid running CM9. It's now used as a bike computer and music player when on my long biking trips. It still "Does"... Still have my Droid X too. That was as many people remember an industry leading phone at the time as well. That's also running CM9 and my son still uses it daily to play games, music and chat with friends.

7. yusky03

yusky03 Member

Ratings:
    +4
    Droid died the second they locked the bootloader.

• Like Like x 4
  8. 4low4fun

4low4fun Member

Ratings:
    +7
    If I wasn't already drooling for the new max I would be now!

• Like Like x 1
  9. stemo

stemo Member

Ratings:
    +4
    I gave my mom my old d1. She uses it daily and it hasn't missed a beat.

• Like Like x 1
  10. tgyberg

tgyberg Silver Member

Ratings:
    +329
    Current Phone Model:
    Pixel XL & C
    My buddy picked up the D1 in Nov of 2009 and was all over me to get one. I told him I'm good with my flip phone! :D I finally grabbed one that December and kicked myself for not listening to him and waiting! Here we are 4 years of complete phone obsession later!!

• Like Like x 2
  11. pc747

pc747 Administrator
    Staff Member Rescue Squad

Ratings:
    +5,933
    Remember leaving att because I bought an iphone and 10 days later had an issues with it getting a signal. Was frustrated with their policy at the time where I had to go through apple which wanted me to allow them to put a 600 dollar hold on my credit card. I told apple and att what I thought of that policy and went to vzw. Picked up a droid and I remember the first month crying about all the things my iphone did that my droid didnt (mainly not having the directv nfl app). I almost made a big mistake and was going to trade it for the omnia 2 or storm 2 just so i can get the nfl app and the guy at vzw wouldnt let me do it. To this day I thank him for talking me out of my stupidity. Directv released the nfl app like a few weeks later and all the things the i liked about the iphone began to pop up on the droid whether it be pinch to zoom through dolphin browser or various work arounds. Then sholesmod updater came out that made rooting and roming easier and it was like a whole new world opened up in my eyes. The openness and rom development just blew me away. What impresses me even more is that when i was overclocking my phone I thought how cool dual or quad core processors would be on a phone and here I am now with a n2 with a quad core processor and a massive screen. The droid took android to a whole new level and got the conversation started. From there we saw phone after phone continue to push the limits whether it be the evo devices increasing screen size, razr maxx increasing battery capacity while staying slim, or the galaxy devices push the limits on features. Because of the droid I continue to quietly root for motorola to bring us a device that just blows the competition away.

• Like Like x 2
  12. donzz

donzz Member

Ratings:
    +9
    I ordered the Droid Maxx a couple days ago. I can't wait for it to come in! D1, Droid Bionic and now the Maxx!

Search tags for this page

2013 ford f150 bed tie downs

droid history

droid motorola history

droid razr rom history

how to unlock the speed limit in f150

og droid roms