DROID - A History

KaChow

Reaction score
The fact of the matter “the Google experience” is taking over, and with this article “Droid Does” the Droid line ends. When I think about this concept of what the Google experience really means it’s a takeover and brand name realignment. Google doesn’t want people to think Droid and Android are the same, they want it to simply be Android. In addition Google wants to be known for all of it. In fact Google is opening the floodgates on new products that we have been looking for and we will be buying them all. But, more on point this latest Droid line is what I believe to be the end of the Droid, which results in the 3 devices: Mini, Ultra, and Maxx; which closes the book on the former Motorola company (don’t forget they are a Six Sigma company afterall.) I am convinced of this because that is why there was a “rush” to introduce these final products, right before the launch of the Moto X. The Moto X marks the spot for the future of Motorola, a state of the art product designed to compete toe-to-toe with Apple.

On the topic of Development, it was interesting a couple of days ago I was reading public announcement tweet from Hashcode, see below:
Hashcode  Hashcode0f  on Twitter.png
which he mentions numerous Droid devices and to be on the look out not to accept upcoming OTA’s for possible threats to loss of Root. Which it is interesting the timing of this, as these new OTA’s may start appearing right after the Moto X and Droid line are released. Which I believe the Razr and Razr Maxx were possibly the highest selling Motorola devices. I could be wrong, but just viewing the amount of activity in the Razr forums, certainly seems plentiful with interaction. Which also most of the devices that Hashcode mentions I believe were released in the Droid timeline of 2009-11 which certainly could encourage Loyal Droid owners to UPGRADE to a newer device (with 4 different price points offered by Motorola), I would consider this to be perfect timing. ~ Of course just a theory…

I seem to have the image of a Dodge Charger stuck in my head, which if Wiki was correct it first appeared in 1966-78, then again in 1983-87, and currently running 2006. I can’t say that I am Mopar fan, as I would rather take a Chevy or Ford over one any day. The earliest Chargers more specifically the Dart GT, imo was the most interesting overall. But the thing is the Charger began an era, went away and came back (not the style I liked), but the latest version looks tough. I tend to see this with the Droid line, their earliest devices were very impressive, they really grabbed our attention and the Droid name commanded all Androids. But this latest line and I know many will disagree I think it is an end. The next era drives on “the Google experience”, with Motorola specifically, it will work great for people that want to enjoy the simple pleasures of owning a device. It’s not going to work for me, much Development will disappear from Motorola and go away as it is easier to work with devices that are not heavily guarded, which maybe that is what Google wants. Maybe Google wants to push the hackers into a corner and confine development to specific devices. I don’t really know… Except, that it just makes sense.

OP
cereal killer

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
Look at it this way ck, if the motorola x and the mx8 processor software become a sleeping giant you can say you believed in it from the start vs others (like myself) who already called the device a failure before even looking at it. Yes I have to stand by it i called it a failure in one form of fashion. Whether it be me calling it a niche device for teenagers or a straight up last year spec device I been basically writing this phone off since the start.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2
Are you basing this purely on specs?

jstafford1

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Twitter
jstaff79
Are you basing this purely on specs?

It does look that way.

I see this phone as a huge step forward. The X8 chipset is going to be a game changer. It will finally deliver on the improvements multicores have been toughting for a while. If you just read the numbers and don't diff a little deeper you might think this phone is dated from the getgo, but that is hardly the case.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

TheOldFart

Reaction score
People go by specs alone because they don't or can't look at the total package and weigh it against what will fulfill their needs over the next couple of years. Specs alone are useless if the phone has reception problems or low QC or is too fragile to actually put it into a jeans pocket and expect it to not break in a couple of months. Every phone is a compromise and I look at what best fits my needs and usage. I'd like to have a Note 2, but the size makes it to cumbersome for everyday use. I'd be seriously looking at the Moto X if it didn't have on screen buttons. That makes the screen not much bigger than the Droid Mini and the Mini size fits my needs exactly. I think that all 4 new Moto phones will be winners.

OP
cereal killer

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
It does look that way.

I see this phone as a huge step forward. The X8 chipset is going to be a game changer. It will finally deliver on the improvements multicores have been toughting for a while. If you just read the numbers and don't diff a little deeper you might think this phone is dated from the getgo, but that is hardly the case.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 4 Beta
Totally agree with you here. I think it's incredibly shortsighted to not look at the total package. A precursory look at these new Moto handsets does an injustice to the tech behind them.