Droid 2 Global Battery Life

wilboy

Reaction score
Same w/ me here (24 hrs. in normal use)...but bcuz i always want to watch movie trailers/youtube videos...it tooks 40% of my batt. in one hr. :(

Last edited:

ExodusC

Reaction score
I had a battery that only lasted 8 hours I took it back got a new battery same settings now I can go above 24 hours till I get to 30%

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using DroidForums App
I'm curious, did Verizon charge you for the new battery, or make you return the entire phone?

I think I might be suffering from the same battery issues as some of the above users, but I don't want to fight my way through Verizon's customer service reps if I have to return my entire phone.

rage813

Reaction score
If youre within your thirty days and havent returned the phone once yet then theyll take it back and give you another one if you already have returned it once then you need to go through the insurance. If i were you i would switch batteries with the wife to confirm its the battery and not the phone then go from there

brianr0131

Reaction score
If youre within your thirty days and havent returned the phone once yet then theyll take it back and give you another one if you already have returned it once then you need to go through the insurance. If i were you i would switch batteries with the wife to confirm its the battery and not the phone then go from there

This is not accurate at all. It would be a warranty issue not insurance.

Very good idea switching batteries though.

AngDroid

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
This is what I did to greatly improve battery life on Fission ROM with D2G...

I was about to give up on the D2G as a daily user since the battery life I was getting was much worse than the D2. I somehow managed to greatly improve the battery life.

I did the next 3 things at the same time so I am sure some helped more than others.

Install the SIM card fix from FRM
Set radio to CMDA/EvDo Auto
Used SetCPU to set clock at 1GHz

Then I "conditioned" my battery with the following steps

Charged phone completely with outlet, not usb
Wiped battery stats in recovery
Let battery drain all the way down till phone powered off
Fully recharged battery.

My batttery life has been greatly improved since then and now I feel more comfortable using the D2G has daily phone
biggrin.gif

rage813

Reaction score
To brian I meant warranty lol

CrazeePolak

Reaction score
Hey I've had my phone for a month now n im a heavy user... internet... angry birds... youtube... streaming music from I heart radio... im currently getting 8 or 9 hours with that kinda use... if I barely use it like jus txting n some calls... (except voice mail cuz that rapes the battery for some reason) im getting literally 24 hours no lie... I chk my battery time from last plugged in thing... I cycled my battery like 10 times alrdy to get to this tho... like I used it till it died completely n charged it fully... but don't have to anymore

aklabs

Reaction score
My battery life was horrible at the start but now is so better. Here is what I did
Get an extended battery
Root my phone
Install launcher pro -- paid version
Freeze all bloatware

Battery now lasts at least 24 hours

Eventually I will change to a different ROM

Hope this helps you

soccer2alyssa

Reaction score
my battery does the same. the main thing that takes up my battery the most is the android OS.. ive tired uninstalling apps that i never use, i turned the brightness down all the way ive charged my phone all night and all day. then i unplugged it for at least 30 min, and the battery dropped down to 50% just like that. I didnt even use the phone, well to make one 2 min phone call, but other than that i didnt use it. I turned off my wifi and bluetooth bc i wasnt using it and thought that would help. ive closed all apps that was running and still nothing. i let my phone die all the way and thought that might help. still waiting for it to fully charge. any suggestions if tht doesnt work? & ive only had this phone for 3 days.

evanlec

Reaction score
Thanks AngDroid. Where can I get this SIM card fix? (Nevermind i see it is in the fission rom manager, just installed it and reboot the phone it says "sim card detected. Setting network to global". Not sure why it did this but i set it back to cdma/evdo...

I will try this battery conditioning I guess but I didn't think these newer batteries needed such treatment...

my network was already set at cdma/evdo so that didn't help.

I use jrummys droid overclock app to downclock my cpu but did not notice any improvement in battery life...

This is what I did to greatly improve battery life on Fission ROM with D2G...

I was about to give up on the D2G as a daily user since the battery life I was getting was much worse than the D2. I somehow managed to greatly improve the battery life.

I did the next 3 things at the same time so I am sure some helped more than others.

Install the SIM card fix from FRM
Set radio to CMDA/EvDo Auto
Used SetCPU to set clock at 1GHz

Then I "conditioned" my battery with the following steps

Charged phone completely with outlet, not usb
Wiped battery stats in recovery
Let battery drain all the way down till phone powered off
Fully recharged battery.

My batttery life has been greatly improved since then and now I feel more comfortable using the D2G has daily phone
biggrin.gif

speltrong

Reaction score
Yesterday I got 6 hours from the time I unplugged it until 10%. According to Battery Manager, the screen was only on for an hour. BT, WiFi, Push and GSM were all turned off the whole time, and I was mostly messing with my homescreen layout, using the Droidforums app and a bit of Evernote. I'm using LauncherPro Plus and the Simi clock widget with weather and the battery indicator turned on. Otherwise it's stock and unrooted.

Last night I charged it fully, and within two minutes of unplugging it, it was down to 90% battery. I yanked the battery (thank god I can finally do that, eff you iPhone :), waited a few minutes, and put it back in. Frustrated I put it down on the counter, unplugged, and went to sleep. This morning I woke up to the same 90% battery I had last night, and now, six hours later with moderate use (45 minutes with the screen on, 15hrs since unplug), I'm at 60%. I'll keep an eye on it, but that might (fingers crossed) be a fix of sorts.

TwoBuells

Reaction score
First day at work with the D2G. Listening to MP3's of the Howard Stern Show for 10 hours via Bluetooth speaker, 30 mins of surfing web, a few calls/txt msgs, Phone on for 12 hours on extended battery went from 100% to 50%

With my Droid 1 standard battery same usage I'd get 9 to 10 hours on battery 100% to 20%, and most days I'd change to my second standard battery.......

both phones were/are rooted
D1 Chevy01 SS rom 1.0 low V kernel
D2G Fission rom

speltrong

Reaction score
~22 hours so far since yanking the battery last night and fully charging it. It's reading 40% right now :D Only used it about 2 of those hours today, but it sure beats 5 hrs of standby and 1hr of use. Sweet! Hope it keeps up.

steeda2005

Reaction score
I dont know what rooting the battery means. But my battery sucks and is always dead. If I ever get stranded, I wont be able to make a call to save my life. I have the battery it came with. It says extended. Is there another one I need?

speltrong

Reaction score
@Steeda: Try this:
1. Charge your battery to full
2. Unplug the phone and remove the battery
3. Wait a minute or two, and replace the battery
4. Turn off Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, Push Email and GPS, and turn the brightness down to the lowest (all of these settings can be found in Power Control which is a stock widget that should come with the phone).
5. Go to settings->applications->running services and see what's there... I killed Skype and Sync Service (tap the service and hit "force stop"). If Blockbuster and Amazon are in there, you can kill those too.
6. Go to settings->battery manager->battery mode and check to make sure it's on Nighttime Saver
7. Run your battery down to 10% (hopefully will take 20-someodd hours now), and then charge it to full again.

See if that makes a difference... those steps made my battery life go from 6 hours of standby to well over 24. I was playing with adding apps last night, so I accidentally started USB charging it after 20 hours of standby, but the battery was down to about 40% before plugging it in.

You root a phone, not a battery :D It's pretty easy and gives you access to settings that you didn't previously have (including installing certain applications). I just did that last night and I'm now going to look into removing some of the stupid bloatware apps that came with the phone to increase the battery even more. All the steps above were done before I rooted the phone.

You can always turn on BT, WiFi, GPS and Push as needed -