Droid 1 for life.

OP
tuffD1

tuffD1

Reaction score
You don't need to be a Motorola employee to have a great device. Sorry the Droids fail when near you :) Long Live DROID

Sent from my Droid¹

OP
tuffD1

tuffD1

Reaction score
if I upgrade, I may put my D1 in a "Break in case of an Emergency" box on my wall.

Sent from my Droid¹

ElectroM

Reaction score
if I upgrade, I may put my D1 in a "Break in case of an Emergency" box on my wall.

Sent from my Droid¹

I really like my D1, got it Nov 2009, still works great. It is getting a little slow now, I just got too many apps on it and it doesn't have nearly as much memory as the new phones. But one BIG plus is it does'n have MOTOBLUR on it. I will be getting a new phone soon, maybe, as soon as the latest phones are released and I read the threds and see what people have too say. My main concern is my calling plan, I am grandfathered into verizon with an old AllTel plan. This is my main concern. I currently get 500 anytime minutes, unlimited weekend calls from 7 PM Friday to 7 AM Monday. I also get 5 Friends & Family numbers that I can call anytime and talk as much as I want at no extra charge. I have unlimited data, also. This package costs $65 with taxes. If Verizon will let me upgrade to a new phone and keep my AllTel package I will upgrade, and lock it in for 2 more years. If they won't let keep my package I have now, I will be off contract and maybe just keep using it, if they let me. If that doesn't happen, I will be off contract and shop around.
Thanks for reading, any replies or suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

GreenSnow

Reaction score
Verizon should let you keep your current plan even if you get a new phone, (as long as its a smartphone) I have actually had verizon employees tell me to never cancel my plan for any reason because I would be forced onto the new 2gb plan

Sent from my DROID3 using DroidForums

poooookah78

Reaction score
Amen to these posts. I'm actually kinda glad that the D1 is losing almost all monetary value so that I wont be compelled to sell it when I upgrade. I have had the D1 since Nov. 2009 and loved it every step. I love the rootability, the open feeling of everything and the fact that it was the one that changed everything.

I will use it for a media player and a browser/gaming system when in wifi range (pretty much anywhere not in a car).

This phone has rocked so hard for so long, I think giving it to someone or just selling it for 50 bucks would be a slap in the face.

poooookah78

Reaction score
Verizon should let you keep your current plan even if you get a new phone, (as long as its a smartphone) I have actually had verizon employees tell me to never cancel my plan for any reason because I would be forced onto the new 2gb plan

???? You realize that upgrading phones lets you keep your plan, right?

GreenSnow

Reaction score
Yes I do, that's what I was trying to explain to Electro

jcwilliams

Reaction score
I still have a d1 bc Verizon hasn't made anything that I'd drop the d1 for yet.

ElectroM

Reaction score
???? You realize that upgrading phones lets you keep your plan, right?

When the Droid came out I went in a Verizon corporate store to look at one. The salesperson asked what I was looking for, I told him I had an HTC smartphone and was interested it a Droid. I asked if I could upgrade and keep my current Alltel plan, he said no way, I would have to get a new Verizon plan. I said I was not interested in that case. A few days later I went into a small cell phone store, an independent, to look at a Droid. I explained my situation. He said he would put it into the computer and see what happened. It was accepted, I got a Droid. I recently went into a Verizon corporate store to look at the Bionic. I talked to a salesperson and was told the same thing I was told 2 years ago, that I would have to get a new Verizon contract, that I couldn't keep my Alltel plan. I didn't ask him to put it into the computer since I didn't really want the Bionic. I am going to wait for the Samsung Nexus or something I think will be worthy of replacing my Droid. I am planning to go back to the same independent store where I got my Droid, since he is still in business, and see what happens. I would have gone there anyway to do business, but not to check out a phone. It has phones on display but they are not turned on so I can play with them like at a corporate store. I really think the problem is with the sales people at the corporate stores.

thaDroidz

Silver Member
Reaction score
When the Droid came out I went in a Verizon corporate store to look at one. The salesperson asked what I was looking for, I told him I had an HTC smartphone and was interested it a Droid. I asked if I could upgrade and keep my current Alltel plan, he said no way, I would have to get a new Verizon plan. I said I was not interested in that case. A few days later I went into a small cell phone store, an independent, to look at a Droid. I explained my situation. He said he would put it into the computer and see what happened. It was accepted, I got a Droid. I recently went into a Verizon corporate store to look at the Bionic. I talked to a salesperson and was told the same thing I was told 2 years ago, that I would have to get a new Verizon contract, that I couldn't keep my Alltel plan. I didn't ask him to put it into the computer since I didn't really want the Bionic. I am going to wait for the Samsung Nexus or something I think will be worthy of replacing my Droid. I am planning to go back to the same independent store where I got my Droid, since he is still in business, and see what happens. I would have gone there anyway to do business, but not to check out a phone. It has phones on display but they are not turned on so I can play with them like at a corporate store. I really think the problem is with the sales people at the corporate stores.

Use the "S" word with the Verizon reps...
It works 90% of the time...

posted tomorrow using the space time continuum app on my D1...

tjk629

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
NEXUS 6
I really think the problem is with the sales people at the corporate stores.

Sales people do what they're told. If a manager hears from corporate that alltel plans will not work on such and such a plan they have to follow it. If not they can easily loose their jobs or other things.

The Alltel acquisition was just starting with the OG came out. I wouldn't be surprised if they did block it from the system. Though, I believe you can still keep with with upgrades. You just gotta talk to the right people :icon_ devil:

fish1552

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
S23 Ultra
Twitter
fish1552
I still have a d1 bc Verizon hasn't made anything that I'd drop the d1 for yet.

Same here. But I'm hoping that changes with the Nexus Prime.
icon_%20devil.gif

OP
tuffD1

tuffD1

Reaction score
The next couple of weeks is really going to test my relationship with my D1. YIKES!

Sent from my Droid¹

Dilligaf

Reaction score
Still love my overclocked (1.1GHz) OG Droid - which is still in great shape despite heavy use.

My only beef is that I'm always bumping up against the low RAM issue - can't install any more big apps, and I've deleted all that I can (ones I don't use much).

I was considering a Bionic, but from what I've read on it's sub-forum, it's not yet ready for prime-time. I wish there was a way to add some more internal memory on the D1.

jcwilliams

Reaction score
Still love my overclocked (1.1GHz) OG Droid - which is still in great shape despite heavy use.

My only beef is that I'm always bumping up against the low RAM issue - can't install any more big apps, and I've deleted all that I can (ones I don't use much).

I was considering a Bionic, but from what I've read on it's sub-forum, it's not yet ready for prime-time. I wish there was a way to add some more internal memory on the D1.

Have you tried link2sd yet?