Droid 1 for life.

Discussion in 'Motorola Droid' started by tuffD1, Sep 8, 2011.

1. tuffD1

tuffD1 Member

Ratings:
    +3
    You don't need to be a Motorola employee to have a great device. Sorry the Droids fail when near you :) Long Live DROID

Sent from my Droid¹

2. tuffD1

tuffD1 Member

Ratings:
    +3
    if I upgrade, I may put my D1 in a "Break in case of an Emergency" box on my wall.

Sent from my Droid¹

• Like Like x 1
  3. ElectroM

ElectroM New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I really like my D1, got it Nov 2009, still works great. It is getting a little slow now, I just got too many apps on it and it doesn't have nearly as much memory as the new phones. But one BIG plus is it does'n have MOTOBLUR on it. I will be getting a new phone soon, maybe, as soon as the latest phones are released and I read the threds and see what people have too say. My main concern is my calling plan, I am grandfathered into verizon with an old AllTel plan. This is my main concern. I currently get 500 anytime minutes, unlimited weekend calls from 7 PM Friday to 7 AM Monday. I also get 5 Friends & Family numbers that I can call anytime and talk as much as I want at no extra charge. I have unlimited data, also. This package costs $65 with taxes. If Verizon will let me upgrade to a new phone and keep my AllTel package I will upgrade, and lock it in for 2 more years. If they won't let keep my package I have now, I will be off contract and maybe just keep using it, if they let me. If that doesn't happen, I will be off contract and shop around.
    Thanks for reading, any replies or suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

4. GreenSnow

GreenSnow Member

Ratings:
    +2
    Verizon should let you keep your current plan even if you get a new phone, (as long as its a smartphone) I have actually had verizon employees tell me to never cancel my plan for any reason because I would be forced onto the new 2gb plan

Sent from my DROID3 using DroidForums

5. poooookah78

poooookah78 Member

Ratings:
    +2
    Amen to these posts. I'm actually kinda glad that the D1 is losing almost all monetary value so that I wont be compelled to sell it when I upgrade. I have had the D1 since Nov. 2009 and loved it every step. I love the rootability, the open feeling of everything and the fact that it was the one that changed everything.

I will use it for a media player and a browser/gaming system when in wifi range (pretty much anywhere not in a car).

This phone has rocked so hard for so long, I think giving it to someone or just selling it for 50 bucks would be a slap in the face.

6. poooookah78

poooookah78 Member

Ratings:
    +2

???? You realize that upgrading phones lets you keep your plan, right?

7. GreenSnow

GreenSnow Member

Ratings:
    +2
    Yes I do, that's what I was trying to explain to Electro

Sent from my DROID3 using DroidForums

8. jcwilliams

jcwilliams Senior Member

Ratings:
    +3
    I still have a d1 bc Verizon hasn't made anything that I'd drop the d1 for yet.

9. ElectroM

ElectroM New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    When the Droid came out I went in a Verizon corporate store to look at one. The salesperson asked what I was looking for, I told him I had an HTC smartphone and was interested it a Droid. I asked if I could upgrade and keep my current Alltel plan, he said no way, I would have to get a new Verizon plan. I said I was not interested in that case. A few days later I went into a small cell phone store, an independent, to look at a Droid. I explained my situation. He said he would put it into the computer and see what happened. It was accepted, I got a Droid. I recently went into a Verizon corporate store to look at the Bionic. I talked to a salesperson and was told the same thing I was told 2 years ago, that I would have to get a new Verizon contract, that I couldn't keep my Alltel plan. I didn't ask him to put it into the computer since I didn't really want the Bionic. I am going to wait for the Samsung Nexus or something I think will be worthy of replacing my Droid. I am planning to go back to the same independent store where I got my Droid, since he is still in business, and see what happens. I would have gone there anyway to do business, but not to check out a phone. It has phones on display but they are not turned on so I can play with them like at a corporate store. I really think the problem is with the sales people at the corporate stores.

10. thaDroidz

thaDroidz Silver Member

Ratings:
    +42
    Use the "S" word with the Verizon reps...
    It works 90% of the time...

posted tomorrow using the space time continuum app on my D1...

11. tjk629

tjk629 Silver Member

Ratings:
    +65
    Sales people do what they're told. If a manager hears from corporate that alltel plans will not work on such and such a plan they have to follow it. If not they can easily loose their jobs or other things.

The Alltel acquisition was just starting with the OG came out. I wouldn't be surprised if they did block it from the system. Though, I believe you can still keep with with upgrades. You just gotta talk to the right people :icon_ devil:

12. fish1552

fish1552 Premium Member Rescue Squad Premium Member

Ratings:
    +17
    Same here. But I'm hoping that changes with the Nexus Prime. [​IMG]

13. tuffD1

tuffD1 Member

Ratings:
    +3
    The next couple of weeks is really going to test my relationship with my D1. YIKES!

Sent from my Droid¹

14. Dilligaf

Dilligaf Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Still love my overclocked (1.1GHz) OG Droid - which is still in great shape despite heavy use.

My only beef is that I'm always bumping up against the low RAM issue - can't install any more big apps, and I've deleted all that I can (ones I don't use much).

I was considering a Bionic, but from what I've read on it's sub-forum, it's not yet ready for prime-time. I wish there was a way to add some more internal memory on the D1.

15. jcwilliams

jcwilliams Senior Member

Ratings:
    +3
    Have you tried link2sd yet?

• Like Like x 1